Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 27-03-2024, 01:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
TBH I rather people who don't want to OT join other departments, and be the quota for JHKs who are willing to work in audit.

Have you guys ever worked with seniors who were clearly lazy when they were associates? They just dump everything on the associate after promoting.

Obviously I can resign but it's still a waste of my time finding a job, joining for a few months, then leaving, and spending months finding a job all over again.

And if I include this experience in my resume, it shows I can't even hang on a job for a year. If I don't include it, it looks as if I'm so lousy I couldn't get a job.

JHK English is really bad but I find that at least most of them are willing to take over from you if you can't cope. The local seniors I had were really salty about working in audit and are already super unfriendly from the first sentence.

Obviously not all of them are like that but those seniors I had were probably like that commenter who said he only joined audit because he couldn't find a job 3 years ago. Alright as a person but probably not a teammate you want when there's deadlines.
u just need to prep ur interviews to target these hard questions. the answers are about the same for all interviews, especially the qn on why r u leaving in less than a year, why are u looking for a new job etc.

The main thing is most big4 ppl join big4 and stay thr till manager and find it hard to get out because they lacked interview skills and also no commercial experience. why should ppl pay 7k for a person with no commercial exp?

Old 27-03-2024, 01:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
covid is peak job market for fresh grads though... people are still getting lots of great IB and consulting offers even during covid period so you have to be really bad if all you're getting is offer for audit...

that said, i don't think you realize how bad the work ethics of some people are. i've seen people literally watching kdrama at work then kpkb when people complain about them. the worst is a girl who is perpetually on leave every time there's meetings so other people have to do her work for her...

anyway our OT is until 9pm only and that's max 3 days at a time. i'm happy to get japanese fruits, desserts, spare hampers, and expensive mooncakes and celebration meals in exchange for that. at least it shows that my boss knows OT after 6pm is bad instead of treating that as the norm. i've never heard of big 4 having a culture of thanking others for covering for them...
err for context, i tried IB interviews and it is not my liking. im not into long hours, but i want to be fairly paid for my normal working hours. that being said, the normal working hours pay in big4 just doesn't exist.

yes i know some bad work ethics. watching kdrama in working hours is a no go. However, if, the person finishes his / her tasks and the snr did not allocate more work, i dont think it is to blame on the associate too.

i do understand that sometimes the associate will look at their phones once in a while. i feel it is ok for that but not every 10 mins kind la. Unless the phone is needed to do work / msg client etc.

BUT DO NOT step into work ethics and use it as an excuse to make ppl OT like a pup. Rather, i feel this is just toxic. Just because others prioritize work life balance, doesnt mean he / she should OT together with you all and suffer.

The crux of this issue is the lack of manpower. Blame the HR and partner, not the associate. Period.

Old 27-03-2024, 02:13 AM
Unregistered

If there's 20 hours of task

Person A only do 8 hours

Person B has to take on that extra 2 hours of work to complete = 10 + 2 + 12 hours

2 hours might not seem a lot but when compared like this, person B has to work 4 extra hours compared to person A

Sure, person A deserves WLB like any human being but I don't think person B is any less deserving of WLB than person A

The workload is not going to magically disappear just because person A doesn't want to do it either

So the best is everyone take their fair share and OT a little so that everyone can go home earlier

Obviously you can say hire more but how to hire extra people in 1 day?

The problem is already in front of you and needs to be solved immediately

It's like saying no need firefighter to waste water to quell fire on a boat because hard work lah, by right mother nature should be pouring rain anyway.

Like no **** but the boat is already burning right now, who can wait for the rain to slowly pour if god decides 'ok i agree and give you rain'?

You don't mind getting burned but others mind, maybe should've let other people who are happy to help quell the flames onto the boat in the first place since everyone knows the boat will be on fire based on track record and need lots of people to put out flames.

No one is asking associates to work until 4am like we seniors have to, we don't even ask you guys to follow up after your booking ended for your sections, but can you all at least work until 8pm or 9pm so that it's 10 hours like the resource planning stated while you're booked on the job? Especially since you'll be taking breaks and eating 2 hour meals so the 10 hours is actually <8 hours of productive work.

We have done the same work you did before so we know how long it takes for someone doing it for the first time. I've also seen those videos telling people to pretend that they don't understand so that the task "takes longer" but they're actually done so that they can chill.

Old 27-03-2024, 07:25 AM
Unregistered

Seriously, how many samples you have in total for one audit engagement?

Why you all work so slow one?
Old 27-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Lol

Now all the seniors all scare juniors jeopardise their careers
Old 27-03-2024, 08:44 AM
Unregistered

Yall complaining about new batch not doing work properly? How about the overseas Philippines “talents” that are being forced on every audit engagement?

They are assigned the bare minimum that any human that can use a computer can do, takes their own sweet time to do what is assigned, and then when they do it wrongly, the managers assign RPs to the onshore team?

Taking up resources and 0 accountability yet certain big 4 firms (the one starting with E) are forcing them into every team. And top management uses their numbers to justify headcount when it benefits them during townhall.

Godbless audit in singapore @isca

Old 27-03-2024, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yall complaining about new batch not doing work properly? How about the overseas Philippines “talents” that are being forced on every audit engagement?

They are assigned the bare minimum that any human that can use a computer can do, takes their own sweet time to do what is assigned, and then when they do it wrongly, the managers assign RPs to the onshore team?

Taking up resources and 0 accountability yet certain big 4 firms (the one starting with E) are forcing them into every team. And top management uses their numbers to justify headcount when it benefits them during townhall.

Lol my bro-in-law also encountered this

What my bro-in-law is tell this Philippines talented person not to touch or do anything

He say what you need to do is help the whole team to make coffee

Just let this person sit there do nothing and make coffee when needed

Ask the person go help to buy lunch and dinner
Old 27-03-2024, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

ISCA is thrilled to be back in the Philippines!

We are pleased to announce that we have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) to foster collaborations through training and professional development of accountants in the Philippines. This partnership will also elevate the accounting profession and contribute to the growth and success of businesses.

ISCA CEO, Fann Kor, did a presentation to the PICPA, highlighting recent developments in Singapore's accounting landscape and explored more potential initiatives between both institutes.

ISCA also appointed an Approved Learning Centre, Lope Laranjo Bato & Co. CPAs (an accredited CPD provider by the Board of Accountancy) in the Philippines to collaborate on ISCA's Sustainability certifications and conduct joint seminars to support accounting profession in the region.

One of the highlights of the trip was the members' recognition ceremony where we welcomed new members to the ISCA family!
Stay tuned for more updates as we continue to build bridges and create impactful partnerships across borders!

P/S: Happy belated birthday to Sir Abner Ty!

Teo Ser Luck
Old 27-03-2024, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

HELP! I am an audit associate

But my vouching rate is very slow

How to improve my vouching speed?

I need to know what details to look at so I wouldn't time

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 27-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

HELP! I am an audit associate

But my vouching rate is very slow

How to improve my vouching speed?

I need to know what details to look at so I wouldn't waste too much time on staring at the document