Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses

Old 23-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Default Lae

Hi there

I would not recommenend any joining ST aero. I am a LAE in a MRO in singapore. The company do not care about you career. They just want to cut cost. The pay in very low compare to forgine LAE. The work enivorment is horrible.

Old 23-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Fidz

Den where do u tink i should go next? Coz i can only think of tat 8 yr bond to upgrade myself n get experience before i can venture out.

Old 24-05-2010, 08:47 PM
kyo

But then if you're telling us not to join ST Aero LAE programme then how are we gonna be a LAE so as to go to become a foreign LAE to earn more? I bet SIA's LAE programme is roughly the same probably a bit more pay.

Old 27-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Allowance at SIAEC is slightly lesser. But their bond is shorter, and have better benefits like a free ticket each year.

Anyway, if you expect to be sitting in the office and face the comp most of the time, this is not the job for you.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

Hi there,

I was a LAE for 8 years before I decided to leave the industry. Aviation industry's too volatile at the moment. Cost cuts here and there so I decided to take the plunge and move into the oil & gas industry. I'm now work for GE Oil & Gas as a field service engineer working on heavy duty and aero-derivative gas turbines. The money is much much better than when I was an LAE. They provide all the training that you will need.

My advise for you is do a mechanical engineering degree then join a company like GE or Rolls Royce (they also do industrial gas turbines for o&g industry).

Also your degree will never expire like a license.
Old 20-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Default Advice

i STRONGLY advise whoever that is interested to speak to LAE/apprentice who is currently employed before signing the bond (not as simply as one think). Good luck folks!!

Old 28-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Default hong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

Here are some information I culled from the net and talking to people. Hope it helps…

Your dad got a point there because right now, the government is pushing the sector to be the regional aerospace Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) hub. There are still many other branches in aerospace like Research and development, manufacturing etc, but the bulk of the business in Singapore aerospace sector is MRO, is what the government is trying to push now. With the new Seletar aerospace hub, there is a demand for skilled employees. And now, there are reports that they are facing a shortage. Hence, WDA had been giving subsidies and funding for training in that particular branch.

If LAE is what you want to be, a degree is not really necessary. A diploma will suffice. You will only need an engineering degree to be a Cat C LAE. This information can be found at:

http://www.caas.gov.sg/caasWeb/expor...-66_Issue2.pdf

To be an LAE, regardless whether you have a degree or diploma, you will have to clear the CAAS papers, and have completed your On-Job-Training (OJT), before you will be issued a license to start work.

The normal route to being an LAE is to undergo Apprentice / Trainee Aircraft Licensed Maintenance Engineer Course, which is offered by either SIA Engineering Company or ST Aerospace. In which they will offer training (lessons & On-Job-Training) and will fund your CAAS papers. On top of it, they will give you a monthly allowance. Both require you to sign a bond. More details can be found at their website.

SIAEC: Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - SIA Engineering Company

In fact, ST Aerospace is currently having an intake.

Career@Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd - Main Page

If you have a degree, be it Mechanical Engineering majoring in Aeronautical Engineering, or a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, the normal route people take is not to become an LAE, they become a ‘degree’ engineer, or what they call ‘white collar’. They don’t have to sign off certain parts or aircraft. Some of the position they might take up would be Technical Services Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer etc. They will be providing solutions for various aerospace engineering problems, for eg. Improving airframe structure, engine, or what the LAEs can’t find the solution in the maintenance manual, they will consult them.

An LAE is what they consider ‘blue collar’. They will bear the responsibility if the aircraft they sign off gets into any problems. Their basic pay will depend on which type rating they have on their licenses. The more you know, the more allowances you will get. And these special to type rating or aircraft types will require you to take another test apart from your CAAS papers. So it depends if an LAE is highly paid. They most likely will be put on shift work and lots of OT, for example, 12 hour shift + 6 hour OT after that. Do that for a month. The basic pay might be 2k to 3k, but after OT, will shoot up to 5k to 6k, which might be more than the ‘white collar’ engineer earns. The ‘white collar’ engineer does not get paid if he need to do OT, they usually work office hours.

I’m not sure if you have a diploma or ‘A’ levels. If you don’t have at least a diploma, most likely you will not be accepted to be a trainee LAE. You probably be accepted as an Aircraft Technician, doing most of the repair works as opposed to the LAE, does more of signing off and minimal repair. Pay is lesser. But there are still MRO courses being funded by the government right now. WDA is offering up to 90 percent subsidy if you take Air Transport Training College Foundation Degree in Aircraft Engineering. They also give an allowance of 1k per month, they have a bond of 2 years in the aerospace industry though. More details: Air Transport Training College

Or you can take up UniSim’s Bsc Aviation Maintenance, in partnership with Embry-Riddle University, one of the top aerospace university out there. WDA is giving out a scholarship. More details :

Welcome to SIM University

If you really want to do engineering. I suggest that you do the Mechanical Engineering major in aeronautical engineering, unless if you have keen interest or passion in the aerospace field, then you jump straight into Aeronautical Engineering. In case you find out that aerospace is not for you, you will have a backup to the venture into the mechanical side.

Hope that all helps.

can i check does anyone know the different in the Degree from SIM? there is BSc Aviation Maintenance and B Eng Aerospace Systems??
i dun see the different!!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can i check does anyone know the different in the Degree from SIM? there is BSc Aviation Maintenance and B Eng Aerospace Systems??
i dun see the different!!

BSc Aviation Maintenance is more on the maintenance side to go on and become a LAE eventually. This is almost the same at Air Transport Training College (ATTC)'s Foundation Degree in Aircraft Engineering. BEng Aerospace Systems is more on on the design side and if I'm not wrong, it doesn't lead u to be a LAE. If u really want to be a LAE, choose the ATTC as u will take the CAAS papers concurrently with the internal school exams. Furthermore, after u complete the 2 years in SG, u can go to UK to top up one year to get a bachelor(honours) degree. Talk to ATTC (Air Transport Training College) staff to find out more.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

I'm currently doing ojt at SHAECO as part of my course in aircraft engineering. I don't really like the shift work which is 12 hour shifts. I would like to know do all MRO companies adopt the 12-hr shift or is it different for different companies?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 PM

taka666 is on a distinguished road

are there any LAEs in this thread to talk to about this field? i'm currently undergoing a course in aircraft maintenance and would like to get advice from LAEs.