Constituency Manager (People Association) - Page 7 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Constituency Manager (People Association)

Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree. I'm a lowly Assistant Manager, with no direct or indirect reports. $7k per month. That makes me a Senior Director at P.A.?
End of the day if they really like the job it doesn't matter as long as they are aware the low pay and willing to sacrifice money for something they're passionate in.

I was just trying to correct some of the flawed thinking PA employees over here seem to have on their own job and didn't expect such emotional response. They stay in PA for the rest of their lives then still OK, but they will become laughing stocks if they try to go back to other stat boards, GLC or private sector selling themselves as Directors and GMs.

But I must say judging by the response here, the PA head honcho seems to be doing a good job in selling them inflated titles and deflated pays.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
End of the day if they really like the job it doesn't matter as long as they are aware the low pay and willing to sacrifice money for something they're passionate in.

I was just trying to correct some of the flawed thinking PA employees over here seem to have on their own job and didn't expect such emotional response. They stay in PA for the rest of their lives then still OK, but they will become laughing stocks if they try to go back to other stat boards, GLC or private sector selling themselves as Directors and GMs.

But I must say judging by the response here, the PA head honcho seems to be doing a good job in selling them inflated titles and deflated pays.
I think PA job is not that easy and comfortable as what a lot of people are saying. Sure, the skills are not transferrable and the pay is laughable compared to many private sectors' jobs, but it's not like the past where PA staff just sit at the counter and chit-chat until someone walks to the CC and want to apply for some course.

Point to note is that, yes, the managers and directors in PA, are not really directors per se. Just the name and I heard someone said, "I'm a CD (constituency director), and I give directions as to how to carry this job forward." I was like abit disgusted. The directions are not really directions but just 'carry forward directions' from the top management. Just a mouthpiece and not really giving directions.

And CD's pay, as I've mentioned earlier, is about $6-$8k.

I think alot of people in private sector are earning this amount easily.

But some people just want to 'hao lian' and think they are very capable in PA, especially when the 'director' title kicks in.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agree. I'm a lowly Assistant Manager, with no direct or indirect reports. $7k per month. That makes me a Senior Director at P.A.?
Are you working in MNC or SME?

Can AM @ SME fetch this price or must go to MNC @ AM then can fetch $7k.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think PA job is not that easy and comfortable as what a lot of people are saying. Sure, the skills are not transferrable and the pay is laughable compared to many private sectors' jobs, but it's not like the past where PA staff just sit at the counter and chit-chat until someone walks to the CC and want to apply for some course.

Point to note is that, yes, the managers and directors in PA, are not really directors per se. Just the name and I heard someone said, "I'm a CD (constituency director), and I give directions as to how to carry this job forward." I was like abit disgusted. The directions are not really directions but just 'carry forward directions' from the top management. Just a mouthpiece and not really giving directions.

And CD's pay, as I've mentioned earlier, is about $6-$8k.

I think alot of people in private sector are earning this amount easily.

But some people just want to 'hao lian' and think they are very capable in PA, especially when the 'director' title kicks in.
I agree with you that CM and CD jobs aren't really sitting around doing nothing types.

But I have to add that base on my observation the CMs are still OK. They can probably still transfer skill sets to other organizations as long as they are OK with a reduced title. Lots of companies out there can pay $4k for team leads / supervisors, as long as they can demonstrate people and planning skills should be no problem.

The same thing unfortunately cannot be said for CDs. These long serving staff are sort of "rewarded" with a fancy title and long serving pay which means they probably cannot move to another organization easily on the same pay. CDs are basically office/admin managers out there and I seriously don't think there are a lot of companies willing to pay >$7k for admin managers unless the organization is very big and the job is Asia / APAC in nature.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Verified Member

PaycheckSG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think his/her intention is good. He/She was just clarifying the misconceptions from Paychecksg, pointing out that CM is not the same level as the GM /Op Mgr in the pte sector, from both scope of responsibilities and salary level point of view. I don't think he/she was trying to belittle what a CM do.
Just to clarify, I am under no dis-illusion that a CM equates to an Ops Manager / General Manager, but am merely trying to put a context to the discussion for others to build on.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM
checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaycheckSG View Post
Just to clarify, I am under no dis-illusion that a CM equates to an Ops Manager / General Manager, but am merely trying to put a context to the discussion for others to build on.
So you knowingly put a context that you yourself dun believe in so as to have a discussion for others to build on?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

giving them a inflated title just means they will have difficulty getting a job elsewhere...so good luck....

i left eons ago and never look back.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
giving them a inflated title just means they will have difficulty getting a job elsewhere...so good luck....

i left eons ago and never look back.
how long were u in pa? what did u move on to do after that?
Old 13-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker View Post
So you knowingly put a context that you yourself dun believe in so as to have a discussion for others to build on?
ROFL, this one really self-pwnz
Old 14-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Can AM @ SME fetch this price or must go to MNC @ AM then can fetch $7k.[/QUOTE]

What's the definition of SME in Singapore? My company self-declare to be SME. Singaporean company with just under S$1billion annual turnover.

Definitely the AMs here are getting in the region of $7k per month.