Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Constituency Manager (People Association)
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think PA job is not that easy and comfortable as what a lot of people are saying. Sure, the skills are not transferrable and the pay is laughable compared to many private sectors' jobs, but it's not like the past where PA staff just sit at the counter and chit-chat until someone walks to the CC and want to apply for some course.

Point to note is that, yes, the managers and directors in PA, are not really directors per se. Just the name and I heard someone said, "I'm a CD (constituency director), and I give directions as to how to carry this job forward." I was like abit disgusted. The directions are not really directions but just 'carry forward directions' from the top management. Just a mouthpiece and not really giving directions.

And CD's pay, as I've mentioned earlier, is about $6-$8k.

I think alot of people in private sector are earning this amount easily.

But some people just want to 'hao lian' and think they are very capable in PA, especially when the 'director' title kicks in.
I agree with you that CM and CD jobs aren't really sitting around doing nothing types.

But I have to add that base on my observation the CMs are still OK. They can probably still transfer skill sets to other organizations as long as they are OK with a reduced title. Lots of companies out there can pay $4k for team leads / supervisors, as long as they can demonstrate people and planning skills should be no problem.

The same thing unfortunately cannot be said for CDs. These long serving staff are sort of "rewarded" with a fancy title and long serving pay which means they probably cannot move to another organization easily on the same pay. CDs are basically office/admin managers out there and I seriously don't think there are a lot of companies willing to pay >$7k for admin managers unless the organization is very big and the job is Asia / APAC in nature.