Corp Comms and PR people pls come in - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Corp Comms and PR people pls come in

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
jaydon84 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Corp Comms and PR people pls come in

Hi folks, I'm new here

Just wanted to find out what the market is paying for Corp Comms and PR positions these days.


I didn't make it to the course I wanted in local Uni so I went to MDIS to do a Business Management degree. Got a 2nd upper.

I joined the workforce at age 25 after graduation.

I'm currently 30 and I'm now in my second job working as a Corp Comms Exec in a non-profit organisation for the past 2.5 years. I do not have prior experience in Corp Comms and PR industry, so I learnt everything from scratch on the job. I'm currently drawing $2.8K per mth.

Wondering if I'm being paid OK or is the market paying more these days?

Please feel free to share.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yup, sounds about right

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
jaydon84 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hmm, are there no corp comms and PR people on this forum?



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2010, 06:28 PM
XaNth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a Corporate Communication Manager

Hi all,

I am currently sourcing for a Corporate Communication Manager for a FMCG company. The incumbent must have a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience working for a company in the FMCG sector in a same capacity. Please do not hesitate to drop me an email at [email protected] if you are interested in the position. All applications will be kept highly confidential.

Thanks and Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
spindr is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll check in. I've 10 yrs of experience in PR/advertising/comms, currently doing in-house comms in the healthcare industry. My monthly salary is $4.3K. I'm not sure whether I'm under/over/fairly paid, but since I got a 20 per cent increment when I moved to my current position, I'm not complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Corpcomms work in GLCs, MNCs + Investor relations work

I would like some advice/insights on corpcomms job in various sectors, namely in GLCs, and private sector. Would also want to hear about Investor Relations jobs.

Can forum users here share how corpcomms work is like in GLCs like Changi Airport, Singtel, Ascendas, and MNCs; and whether my background/experience below would be useful?
How is the pay like? Job scope?

As for Investor relations job, would they want someone like me with corpcomms background looking for a career switch? How different is investor relations from the usual corpcomms work? What would the pay be like? Is it extremely demanding, in the sense that public listed companies would always push for their IR officers to promote and say positive things abt the company; and then when share price drop are these IR guys at risk of losing jobs?

some background :
I graduated with a comms degree from local uni. I have been working in the corpcomms dept of a major Stat board for 3 years plus now. I handle mostly media relations work (press release, announcements, media events, day to day media queries and forum letters etc). I am comfortable with the fast pace environment. There is always lots to do and we need to prioritise our work. I do not fancy moving to corpcomms in Ministries as I've seen for myself how they work.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
killuagon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would like some advice/insights on corpcomms job in various sectors, namely in GLCs, and private sector. Would also want to hear about Investor Relations jobs.

Can forum users here share how corpcomms work is like in GLCs like Changi Airport, Singtel, Ascendas, and MNCs; and whether my background/experience below would be useful?
How is the pay like? Job scope?

As for Investor relations job, would they want someone like me with corpcomms background looking for a career switch? How different is investor relations from the usual corpcomms work? What would the pay be like? Is it extremely demanding, in the sense that public listed companies would always push for their IR officers to promote and say positive things abt the company; and then when share price drop are these IR guys at risk of losing jobs?

some background :
I graduated with a comms degree from local uni. I have been working in the corpcomms dept of a major Stat board for 3 years plus now. I handle mostly media relations work (press release, announcements, media events, day to day media queries and forum letters etc). I am comfortable with the fast pace environment. There is always lots to do and we need to prioritise our work. I do not fancy moving to corpcomms in Ministries as I've seen for myself how they work.

I think not so much about risking the lost of jobs. At the end of the day, share price is not something the IR people can control. So it's not fair to tag it to their KPI.

In addition, the IR folks must know the operation's business, financials at the back of their hands. Especially when you are dealing with huge MNCs that are listed. There will be tens of banks covering your company so when they ask you about the financial statements, you need to be able to answer.

Finance background will thus be necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killuagon View Post
I think not so much about risking the lost of jobs. At the end of the day, share price is not something the IR people can control. So it's not fair to tag it to their KPI.

In addition, the IR folks must know the operation's business, financials at the back of their hands. Especially when you are dealing with huge MNCs that are listed. There will be tens of banks covering your company so when they ask you about the financial statements, you need to be able to answer.

Finance background will thus be necessary.
I was working in the IR department in one of the big listed blue chip Singapore company and I disagree that much financial knowledge is needed in this job. IR department is more about organizing functions like analyst briefing, site visits, agm, investor roadshows etc. They also do things like handling press releases, collating power point presentation slides and manning investor relations helpdesk.

In terms of handling investors, your main job is to answer standard queries like rights issue procedures, dividend payments, action deadlines etc. For more technical questions on business matters, the job is more about forwarding the queries to the right person in finance to do the answering. Most IR people are marketing and PR background and have little or no knowledge in finance or investment operations of the business.

If letís say an investor ask you about the the basis to determining the impairment of goodwill, IR is neither authorised or expected to answer straight. You just need to forward to Finance and then cut & paste the answer and reply the investor. Similarly if someone ask about potential competitive erosion from new innovations, you forward them to the marketing or corp planning side and ask them to give you template answer.

When dealing with institutional investors in a formal setting, there will always be representatives from Finace or Business heads on hand to answer the in depth questions. IR only needs to memorise a few basic things like profit / revenue and margin numbers and some key customers and comeptitors. Nothing too specific.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was working in the IR department in one of the big listed blue chip Singapore company and I disagree that much financial knowledge is needed in this job. IR department is more about organizing functions like analyst briefing, site visits, agm, investor roadshows etc. They also do things like handling press releases, collating power point presentation slides and manning investor relations helpdesk.

In terms of handling investors, your main job is to answer standard queries like rights issue procedures, dividend payments, action deadlines etc. For more technical questions on business matters, the job is more about forwarding the queries to the right person in finance to do the answering. Most IR people are marketing and PR background and have little or no knowledge in finance or investment operations of the business.

If letís say an investor ask you about the the basis to determining the impairment of goodwill, IR is neither authorised or expected to answer straight. You just need to forward to Finance and then cut & paste the answer and reply the investor. Similarly if someone ask about potential competitive erosion from new innovations, you forward them to the marketing or corp planning side and ask them to give you template answer.

When dealing with institutional investors in a formal setting, there will always be representatives from Finace or Business heads on hand to answer the in depth questions. IR only needs to memorise a few basic things like profit / revenue and margin numbers and some key customers and comeptitors. Nothing too specific.
I agree. In fact, I'm not surprised that most of the IR people don't really know their Finance. However, in my company, we are expected to know our financials because we communicate a lot with the equity research analysts. Perhaps, that's why they like to consult us so much because few firms' IR know anything about financials. So the bank analysts can't be bothered with asking them the questions too.

Having said that, I think it's helpful to pick up finance because it's a very important skill and it helps you gel your operation knowledge to the financials. It will close the loop and makes things alot more easier to explain.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree. In fact, I'm not surprised that most of the IR people don't really know their Finance. However, in my company, we are expected to know our financials because we communicate a lot with the equity research analysts. Perhaps, that's why they like to consult us so much because few firms' IR know anything about financials. So the bank analysts can't be bothered with asking them the questions too.

Having said that, I think it's helpful to pick up finance because it's a very important skill and it helps you gel your operation knowledge to the financials. It will close the loop and makes things alot more easier to explain.
I think your exp is not the normal kind, if only more IR people are like you. I dealt with a lot of IR managers as a shareholder and most of them just read off standard answers from the FAQ script, you ask them a bit more they will taichi by saying will get back later. Very obvious they have no financial background at all. During 1 of the AGM I chat with the IR specialist and was quite surprise when she said she just recently transfered from HR event management side.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates" Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 23 11-07-2012 12:43 PM
How many people made 6-figure salaries last year? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 23-09-2008 04:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 71,469 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,580 Replies, 1,225,541 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,148 Replies, 5,287,353 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,001 Replies, 2,189,578 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,427 Replies, 1,483,651 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 95,393 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 1,119 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 121,275 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 5,796 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,699 Replies, 1,014,253 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,978 Replies, 1,801,285 Views
Chevron COBRA assesment, please... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 48,882 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,288 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,868 Replies, 3,647,537 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,896 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 75,636 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 429,707 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 4,188 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 197,289 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
878 Replies, 717,095 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,947 Views
What course should I undertake?
8 Replies, 3,120 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,047 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,902 Views
What is the usual salary for...
4 Replies, 1,955 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 6,251 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,279 Views
Career at Keppel
3 Replies, 365 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 326,002 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2