Corp Comms and PR people pls come in - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Corp Comms and PR people pls come in

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
killuagon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think your exp is not the normal kind, if only more IR people are like you. I dealt with a lot of IR managers as a shareholder and most of them just read off standard answers from the FAQ script, you ask them a bit more they will taichi by saying will get back later. Very obvious they have no financial background at all. During 1 of the AGM I chat with the IR specialist and was quite surprise when she said she just recently transfered from HR event management side.
Precisely, I think as an IR professional. It's quite embarassing to not know your financials. Especially when your company is big and you do a lot of deals.

You need to study every single details about the deal and predict all the questions your shareholders will ask in advance. Shareholders are typically not the problematic ones. The Equity Research Analysts are.

I think we are moving into a new phase. It's hard to find proficient IR Professionals but bigger companies are focusing their efforts on finding the best. So if you train yourself up to be well-versed in picking up the technicalities behind your companies' operations and financials, you will naturally be highly sought after.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think your exp is not the normal kind, if only more IR people are like you. I dealt with a lot of IR managers as a shareholder and most of them just read off standard answers from the FAQ script, you ask them a bit more they will taichi by saying will get back later. Very obvious they have no financial background at all. During 1 of the AGM I chat with the IR specialist and was quite surprise when she said she just recently transfered from HR event management side.
I am the poster of #6. Thank you guys for offering the insights to IR work. I invest in stocks myself, and understand the importance of these financials to investors/analysts. As a person, I prefer to be in-the-know and cannot stand being clueless on the work I handle. In fact, I have done some research, and came to know about the IRPAS (Investor Relations Professionals Association Singapore); was thinking of going for this course if i were to switch to IR one day. --> International Certificate in Investor Relations. ://.irpas.com/html/courses_details.php?id=1

Anyone have heard of or attended this course before? And what would the pay for IR jobs be like? Would it be as competitive as what Stat boards pay their corpcomms ppl?

Also what about corpcomms at GLCs (lets assume we are talking about non -listed ones)? For those with corp comms background, would you choose corpcomms at Stat Boards, GLC, MNC, or PR agencies? Do come and share your experience!

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am the poster of #6. Thank you guys for offering the insights to IR work. I invest in stocks myself, and understand the importance of these financials to investors/analysts. As a person, I prefer to be in-the-know and cannot stand being clueless on the work I handle. In fact, I have done some research, and came to know about the IRPAS (Investor Relations Professionals Association Singapore); was thinking of going for this course if i were to switch to IR one day. --> International Certificate in Investor Relations. ://.irpas.com/html/courses_details.php?id=1

Anyone have heard of or attended this course before? And what would the pay for IR jobs be like? Would it be as competitive as what Stat boards pay their corpcomms ppl?

Also what about corpcomms at GLCs (lets assume we are talking about non -listed ones)? For those with corp comms background, would you choose corpcomms at Stat Boards, GLC, MNC, or PR agencies? Do come and share your experience!
Yeah IRPAS is the main organisation for IR. Alot of Heads of Investor Relations are part of the programmes they host. In fact, its compulsory for them to contribute from time to time.

I have experience in multi-billion listed companies IR. The pay is extremely competitive. But I'm not so sure about the smaller companies. And because good IR professionals are extremely scarce, the career progression is remarkable if you are really good.

I think it's best if you join a GLC/MNC. PR agencies lacks the depth at the end of the day.

The course you highlighted above seems pretty good. It covers a broad area of topics. I think for those without financial background, it should help quite a fair bit in terms of introducing you to the field of finance. For those who have finance background, it's really not necessary to attend the course.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Gryphon is on a distinguished road
Default

The Thread topic should rename as "IR people come in" instead of "CorpComm, MarCom or PR people come in"
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

APEC - Communications Manager
://apec.org/About-Us/APEC-Secretariat/Employment/CommsOutreachManager.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One of the main problems facing IR industry as a whole is that people who are good in Finance and Business Analytics generally move on to greener pastures in Finance or Strategy related department while those who are good in PR and Coms works generally move on to Marketing department.

The main problem is a percieved lack of prestige and career opportunities. IR in most companies is still seen as a niusance to have around to keep those pesky research analyst and investors at bay. It's like a vicious cycle, the good ones leave, left with the mediocre ones that create a sub par environment which in turn encourage people with potential to leave. The giant MNCs are half decent, but the situation is really bad among mid/small MNCs, local companies and GLC.

I'm generalizing here as I'm sure there are a few good IR people around, but by and large this industry is in a very limbo state with pockets of good companies here & there. If someone is starting career fresh from school, my advice is to go to the marcom side of things first and perhaps do a short stint of a few years somewhere middle of the career if you really are interested.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Communication Manager IKEA
://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/55962172

Internal Communication Manager IKEA
://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/55959805
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the main problems facing IR industry as a whole is that people who are good in Finance and Business Analytics generally move on to greener pastures in Finance or Strategy related department while those who are good in PR and Coms works generally move on to Marketing department.

The main problem is a percieved lack of prestige and career opportunities. IR in most companies is still seen as a niusance to have around to keep those pesky research analyst and investors at bay. It's like a vicious cycle, the good ones leave, left with the mediocre ones that create a sub par environment which in turn encourage people with potential to leave. The giant MNCs are half decent, but the situation is really bad among mid/small MNCs, local companies and GLC.

I'm generalizing here as I'm sure there are a few good IR people around, but by and large this industry is in a very limbo state with pockets of good companies here & there. If someone is starting career fresh from school, my advice is to go to the marcom side of things first and perhaps do a short stint of a few years somewhere middle of the career if you really are interested.
Reason is simple. If one is really that good with strategy or financial matters, why stay in IR when so many opportunities in management consultancies or banking? Can get paid 2-3x more than staying...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/44936465
Senior Executive / Assistant Manager (Corporate Social Responsibility)
Hitachi
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

International Public Affairs Manager
Diageo
://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/51284810
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates" Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 23 11-07-2012 12:43 PM
How many people made 6-figure salaries last year? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 23-09-2008 04:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,322 Replies, 1,262,967 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,775 Replies, 1,045,673 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,644 Replies, 2,265,330 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,314 Replies, 4,055,744 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,620 Replies, 1,533,615 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,831 Replies, 2,341,163 Views
Promotion Increment in Healthcare...
6 Replies, 2,019 Views
Credit Suisse vs Rabo Bank vs OCBC ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 5,816 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,666 Replies, 1,934,209 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,077 Replies, 6,913,447 Views
Banking Tech vs Consulting ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 2,500 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
372 Replies, 217,581 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,640 Replies, 416,723 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,673 Views
Grab Software Developer Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 3,669 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 84,160 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
636 Replies, 149,580 Views
Goldman Sachs - AMD, Third Party...
7 Replies, 1,036 Views
Difficult to switch from Public To... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 9,898 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 22,444 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
305 Replies, 283,858 Views
Working at Maybank Singapore ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 4,884 Views
Do not join Big 4 Audit firm as a...
7 Replies, 1,452 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 119,193 Views
Civil Service Bonus Mid-2021
1 Replies, 402 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
133 Replies, 163,013 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
95 Replies, 50,092 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
217 Replies, 89,194 Views
NEED ADVICE!! LAZADA Business...
8 Replies, 1,043 Views
FDM - Technical Graduate Program
1 Replies, 421 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2