Architect Salary - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Architect Salary

Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Once a skill becomes commonplace and a commodity, clients will no longer pay a premium. The only way to make more is to be responsible for a large department or team's performance or contribute directly to getting new clients or new sales.

Old 13-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Once a skill becomes commonplace and a commodity, clients will no longer pay a premium. The only way to make more is to be responsible for a large department or team's performance or contribute directly to getting new clients or new sales.
Interesting thread... I always thought architects are paid very well, cos its so hard to get into and its definitely one of the more challenging professional degree programs out there, but apparently all that predigree and pain does not translate to a lofty pay!

But just wondering, is there a difference in payscale between a local and foreign firm? In banking and law, there are distinct differences and foreign firms can pay up to 2 to 3 times that of local firms even at fresh grad level, albeit they tend to be very very selecive (i.e. our favourite punching bag - investment banking).

Old 19-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Just

Default 8 yrs exp

Hv been working for 8 yrs,6 of it in the same company. Wondering what is the pay scale for a registered arc of 8 yrs. From the previous post, I guess there is no benefit for loyalty. Read that ppl with 4 yrs getting $4800 jumping jobs. Am paid abt 5.4k now.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Unregistered - 8 yrs too

5 years local experience, getting $3.8k only. Small firm (<10). Worked for 6 months. Previous firm worked for 4+ years, from $2.5k to $3.5k. Then an expat came in and he got more than I did.

Unfair or not, employers know how to squeeze the most out of their workers. Bosses pocket the profits, while staff gets hell. This is definitely the norm today. So if I am getting paid pittance compared to what is available out there, then I better focus on getting my work-life balance right.

And yes, I admit to selling out by asking for lower pay. Perhaps should move on to a bigger firm that pays better. A $1k increment possible?
Old 21-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Under-achiever

Default Get your head out of your ar*e

Hi Everyone

Here is my sob story.

I'm an NUS grad in Archi. Been doing this for about 10yrs. Never got to attaining QP, because just never got the time. (Always stuck in OT). I have worked at various small firms along the way, but still earning merely $5k after all these years.

My work life sucks. I feel no different from a factory production worker. Work starts when others finish their parts; I'm always pushed to deliver on impossible deadlines. OT on weekends and public holidays are common. Always get f*cked by the bosses and clients. Absolutely no life outside of work... and no money too.

In contrast, my colleague (who is in mid-40s) who is a draftsman is doing much better. He works exactly 9 to 5. F*cks the bosses. And the bosses can't say anything because draftmen talent is rarer than Architect. Outside of work, this colleague has started to do sideline. I don't mean smal-time sideline like drawing for others. I mean, this colleague has used his regulatory experience and industry contacts to start building his own houses. In fact, in his moonlight projects, he hires full-fledge architects to sign his papers!

Today, this colleague lives in a terrace house, drives an Audi. I can't afford a HDB, MRT always breakdown.

Sigh.....

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Sooty

Talking Let's get our due.

Through the last few threads, I see a pattern.

Fresh grads are getting paid 3 - 4k, and so are experienced architects (non QP) up to 5 year experience possibly getting about 4k. to these people, it's time to talk to your boss for increment, else move. It may be easier to get a whole bunch of employees to seek a joint pay increment, quoting new industry pay standards, there are national wage statistics on Archi fresh grads or by head hunting firms for Singaporean Archi grad pay. Quote these. No employer can risk losing half his machinery. Of course, employers are also undercut by other companies who suppress their own staff, but if you dont protect your own needs, no one else will.

To the previous poster getting 5.2k having 8 years experience and licensed. I say, you are being hugely short changed, because my contemporary having 5 years experience without license is getting 5.5k.

Before we start pitying ourselves and let down this beautiful profession, let's not bow down to economic forces and collectively drive the costs to the client side. Our bosses just got to charge more to survive, and pay us our deserved amount. Loyalty pays, only if it does. Our bosses got to deserve loyalty, and acknowledge our needs. Let's gain back the respect of architects of the old days, back in 80s.

This thread is excellent to benchmark the many different pay scales. If most companies can afford to pay 3.5-4k for a fresh grad, I'm sure they will easily fork out 5k for an unlicensed architect with 3-4 year experience. And at least 6-8k for a licensed architect of 5-8 year exp, especially if he is QP for any projects.

Old 22-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Death of Arts

Wink

Architects are highly dispensable. Like the earlier forumer said, Architects are like production workers. The sooner we see that, the sooner we'll realise that we are fighting a lost fight. Architects are at the bottom of the food-chain. Even draftsmen, contractors, engineers, clients are above us in the pecking order these days.

To Sooty's advice of collective bargaining: I think it'll be very tough. Imagine a bunch of factory workers forming a union to demand higher pay. I'd tell you they'll lose their jobs because the business will simply hire cheaper and better qualified replacements. Yes, factory workers, that's what architects have become. We slog to produce, while someone down the chain (who isn't necessarily an architect) sells the idea and gets the moolah. We get peanuts.

There are those amongst us who choose to believe that this is a creative career and put creative pursuits above all else. To these folks, I applaud you. But our bosses (mostly the firm owners) have already recognised that it's all about $$$$. I'm sure those are are reading from this forum are concerned about $$$$.

I used to wake up everyday in awe that I'm an architect. Knowing that I've do well enough in school to attain my papers. Believing that my designs can change the world. Very swell-headed. But I've changed my direction because this profession just doesn't pay well enough to justify the value of my life I've sacrificed. If I include all the nonsensical OT I've done, I'm sure I' paid less per hour than the food court cleaners.

I've got a family to feed too, but I'm ready to take a plunge for a career change. Better to yank out the band-aid now than to bleed myself to death slowly.

Anyone wanna hire me?
Old 23-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Since young, I always thought architect earns a lot....is it a common misconception or is it just Singapore architect gets underpaid or things have changed over the years?

My Past Perception
Doctor - Machiam Mercedes
Lawyer - BMW
Architect - Jaguar
Accountant/Engineer - Volvo.
Old 27-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Unregistered

Default Malaysian Architect in the UK

Well, it's the same here in the UK! So it's not limited to SG! lol
Fresh Grad architect in the UK only have an average take home salary of 2700SGD/month!
-__-
Old 27-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Hard to believe seeing the kind of pay an architect draws after so many years into the job. Not trying to rub salt into the wound, the kind of pay would be difficult to even afford a mass market condo designed by the architects themselves.