Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Architect Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Death of Arts

Wink

Architects are highly dispensable. Like the earlier forumer said, Architects are like production workers. The sooner we see that, the sooner we'll realise that we are fighting a lost fight. Architects are at the bottom of the food-chain. Even draftsmen, contractors, engineers, clients are above us in the pecking order these days.

To Sooty's advice of collective bargaining: I think it'll be very tough. Imagine a bunch of factory workers forming a union to demand higher pay. I'd tell you they'll lose their jobs because the business will simply hire cheaper and better qualified replacements. Yes, factory workers, that's what architects have become. We slog to produce, while someone down the chain (who isn't necessarily an architect) sells the idea and gets the moolah. We get peanuts.

There are those amongst us who choose to believe that this is a creative career and put creative pursuits above all else. To these folks, I applaud you. But our bosses (mostly the firm owners) have already recognised that it's all about $$$$. I'm sure those are are reading from this forum are concerned about $$$$.

I used to wake up everyday in awe that I'm an architect. Knowing that I've do well enough in school to attain my papers. Believing that my designs can change the world. Very swell-headed. But I've changed my direction because this profession just doesn't pay well enough to justify the value of my life I've sacrificed. If I include all the nonsensical OT I've done, I'm sure I' paid less per hour than the food court cleaners.

I've got a family to feed too, but I'm ready to take a plunge for a career change. Better to yank out the band-aid now than to bleed myself to death slowly.

Anyone wanna hire me?