How much are you earning per annum? - Page 430 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

And I know many will advise me to sell and buy HDB but I honestly do not have that much faith that we can retire in future based on asset appreciation. It has worked so far but no guarantee it will in the future will PAP losing support and after LKY goes, international respect for Sg will be less too I predict as policies after him esp opening yhe foreigners floodgates may prove to be our downfall...as our jobs are eventually taken away our property price and economy may go into stagflation in future like developed countries like Japan and perhaps US and UK soon.High pay and high prices are not sustsinable and what goes up must come down.

If PAP remains in power, I guess their plan is to get more foreigners turned into citizens to shore up their votes and Sg may migrate and cash out like me. That will keep costs low and the economy growing. But they know many will stay that is why the social policies recently like Pioneer Gen, CPF life, minimum wages for some, cheaper housing and cars....

With the neighbouring competition from other countries, jobs are still the most important and hopefully in my kids generation, it will still be plentiful.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

I don't understand how is your net worth be $2.4m?

Your landed is worth $2m, your condo is worth $600k and your JB house is worth $380k, so total is $2.98m. Your mortgage is $1.4m, so net worth should only be $1.58m. Is this correct?

Anyway, if you can sell your landed at $2m, this is very good as your return is 82% over 4 years. You can use the profit to pay off your condo and JB house mortgages and your car loan. You will be debt free and you can live in your JB house and collect rental from your condo. Your rental will be about $3k pm or RM7.8k pm. Your cash balance can be kept for emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 39 years old and hubby 42 years old. Income 150k pa for me and hubby 's varies as job unstable from 20k to 90k pa so far. We have a freehold terrace bought at 1.1 mil 4 years ago and now worth about 2 mil and a 1 bedder condo bought at 600k+ about to TOP and just got state consent for a semid in JB Tebrau bought at 380k last year. Outstanding mortgages is about 1.4 mil and have a car with 150k morthage. But networth is about 2.4 mil as assets more than liabilities though that includes the primary residence which is our terrace.

Our retirement plan is to either stay in our MM or semid in JB and rent the rest. Problem is 2 kids uni fees if they want to go overseas so hopefully they study local if not may need to sell off one property to finance or work longer.

Current expenses are high because of car and mortgage payments about 15k combined a month. Though can still cope due to low interest rates but savings per year not much due to hubby's job situation. That is why we bought JB as it can enable us to retire or semiretire and earlier too as we can pay off our terrace and have about 4k to 5 kwhich is rm 10k or more to survive in JB with a malaysia car in a few years time. Kids can study international school though a bit ex at about S$800 to 1k a month. If RTS is up by 2019 can then have option of semiretiring and kids option of studying in Sg schools with less jams.

If we want to retire in Sg also possible just that I would have to work much longer. Our properties are our best assets esp our landed.

But sometimes do worry about the future of our country and future property values as I think there is a big bubble here and property is overpriced so also thinking of selling our landed perhaps to semi retire in Malaysia earlier. Got many offers of 1.8mil as valuation has dropped. Still having viewings and may consider selling if we get a good offer.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

We have cpf, cash savings, stocks and other investments that contribute to our networth lah.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
We have cpf, cash savings, stocks and other investments that contribute to our networth lah.
ok, so you are rich. no need to worry. but i think you are overleveraged. to be safe your overall Loan-to-Value (LTV) ratio should only be 30% the most. remember your property value may drop a lot. just be safe than sorry.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

Default classes houltuu

Quote:
ok, so you are rich. no need to worry. but i think you are overleveraged. to be safe your overall Loan-to-Value (LTV) ratio should only be 30% the most. remember your property value may drop a lot. just be safe than sorry.
Where did you get the LTV ratio of 30% from? We can pay off our terrace loan soon and JB houses are appreciating and will continue to do so will Sg prop may fall. The condo is for rental from our 6.9 population target and my job is quite secure so I think should be safe.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

48, sole breadwinner, spouse is a home maker
Annual salary, $120k pa
Annual dividend, $40k pa
Home is a condo, worth $1m, paid up
No car, travel by MRT

Retirement plan at 65 is as follows

Sell condo, downgrade to hdb studio flat for the elderly
Invest $1m cash proceeds to get $40k pa dividends
So total dividends = $80k pa
CPF Life payout = $20k pa
So total passive income = $100k pa

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

Do you have any children? Your condo worth only $1m could mean it is a very old condo or a very small one.

Nonetheless what impressed me most is your $40K dividend income pa based on your single income of $120K.

I have colleagues similar to your age, earning more, living in HDB flats but still struggling to build their investment portfolio to generate passive income. What they are getting, in their own words, is a joke. That "joke" is around $5k to $10K pa.

So well done! Any tips to share with the rest of the readers? Like how much you save out of the $120K salary? What and how much you invest in to provide such a yield of $40K?

Quote:
48, sole breadwinner, spouse is a home maker
Annual salary, $120k pa
Annual dividend, $40k pa
Home is a condo, worth $1m, paid up
No car, travel by MRT

Retirement plan at 65 is as follows

Sell condo, downgrade to hdb studio flat for the elderly
Invest $1m cash proceeds to get $40k pa dividends
So total dividends = $80k pa
CPF Life payout = $20k pa
So total passive income = $100k pa
Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

In 2005, when property prices were low, I bought a landed property at a bargain price as the owner needs to let go fast. I sold it at its peak price last Dec and made profits of more than $1m. My timing was perfect and now landed property prices is falling. I then bought a 3 year old condo, 3 bedroom in the OCR for $1m, paid in full.

Over the years, since I don't own a car, I saved a lot of money. Many people spend $30k - $50k pa on their car, but I avoid such expenses and instead build up my savings for investments. I am good at investing in high growth stocks and blue chips. Now my investment portfolio is worth $1m and my dividend yield is about 4%.

Quote:
Do you have any children? Your condo worth only $1m could mean it is a very old condo or a very small one.

Nonetheless what impressed me most is your $40K dividend income pa based on your single income of $120K.

I have colleagues similar to your age, earning more, living in HDB flats but still struggling to build their investment portfolio to generate passive income. What they are getting, in their own words, is a joke. That "joke" is around $5k to $10K pa.

So well done! Any tips to share with the rest of the readers? Like how much you save out of the $120K salary? What and how much you invest in to provide such a yield of $40K?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

Quite a story you have there. How much were you earning in 2005, 9 years ago?

And not true that many car ownership cost $30k- $50k a year maybe only the expensive models that rich people own. For ordinary folks, especially those earning $100k - $150k pa, car ownership typically eats up about $10k + pa.

Cannot remember how much you save each year is it? How about how much you spend yearly? What high growth stocks you invested?

Quote:
In 2005, when property prices were low, I bought a landed property at a bargain price as the owner needs to let go fast. I sold it at its peak price last Dec and made profits of more than $1m. My timing was perfect and now landed property prices is falling. I then bought a 3 year old condo, 3 bedroom in the OCR for $1m, paid in full.

Over the years, since I don't own a car, I saved a lot of money. Many people spend $30k - $50k pa on their car, but I avoid such expenses and instead build up my savings for investments. I am good at investing in high growth stocks and blue chips. Now my investment portfolio is worth $1m and my dividend yield is about 4%.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Unregistered

My story is not that great. There are people who made many times more than I did. They bought more expensive landed in 2005 and the value shot up by millions, quantum wise.

For me, I didn't earn much in 2005, about $80k plus, it was enough to qualify for loan for my landed after selling my HDB flat.

People don't realise that they spend a lot on cars, if their car loan payment is $1000 pm and their other expenses - repairs, maintenance, petrol, insurance, road tax is $1500 pm (pro rated), that is already $2,500 pm (or $30k pa).

I didn't really keep track of actual savings because the amount was combined with stocks trading gains. I recalled buying growth stocks at bargain prices in 2009 during the global crisis, they were oil-related growth stocks, which crashed when oil prices crashed during the crisis but shot up when oil price recovered.

Quote:
Quite a story you have there. How much were you earning in 2005, 9 years ago?

And not true that many car ownership cost $30k- $50k a year maybe only the expensive models that rich people own. For ordinary folks, especially those earning $100k - $150k pa, car ownership typically eats up about $10k + pa.

Cannot remember how much you save each year is it? How about how much you spend yearly? What high growth stocks you invested?