Lawyer Salary - Page 607 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6061 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyway I知 fairly senior but I知 taking time to write this...

I don稚 know about you but to not be retained at an early stage of your career, you値l eventually become very disillusioned with everything in life.
You値l treat people with suspicion, including a spouse or partner.
You値l be very cynical, finding that no one gave you a chance.
You値l hate the world, you値l hate life in general.

This also applies to people who are laid off very early on in their careers.
In other words, you値l lose the positivity. You値l treat juniors the same in future as the world has not been kind to you.

You値l be so disillusioned that every thing in your life becomes negative and gloomy.

Reply With Quote
  #6062 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 223
sinkingfeeling is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyway I知 fairly senior but I知 taking time to write this...

I don稚 know about you but to not be retained at an early stage of your career, you値l eventually become very disillusioned with everything in life.
You値l treat people with suspicion, including a spouse or partner.
You値l be very cynical, finding that no one gave you a chance.
You値l hate the world, you値l hate life in general.

This also applies to people who are laid off very early on in their careers.
In other words, you値l lose the positivity. You値l treat juniors the same in future as the world has not been kind to you.

You値l be so disillusioned that every thing in your life becomes negative and gloomy.
Very true for me

Every day I sit at home, stewing in misery, and just waiting for the next problem to batter me even further

Since losing my job last year, I've also been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, watched as my parents dumped what little cash they have into get rich quick schemes. I also have to downgrade my lifestyle, I have to think 3x before I buy clothes

Reply With Quote
  #6063 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyway I知 fairly senior but I知 taking time to write this...

I don稚 know about you but to not be retained at an early stage of your career, you値l eventually become very disillusioned with everything in life.
You値l treat people with suspicion, including a spouse or partner.
You値l be very cynical, finding that no one gave you a chance.
You値l hate the world, you値l hate life in general.

This also applies to people who are laid off very early on in their careers.
In other words, you値l lose the positivity. You値l treat juniors the same in future as the world has not been kind to you.

You値l be so disillusioned that every thing in your life becomes negative and gloomy.
You're exaggerating..

Reply With Quote
  #6064 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're exaggerating..
In any case, why would having/not having a job affect your worldview? If you are that fragile you'll never succeed in anything you do. I got retained, I don't think it's a big deal. The trade-offs are always there. If you're not retained you have a blank slate to find somewhere that fits you better as a person and as an employee.

Heck, you could even start a billion dollar gaming empire and the whole industry will be at your beck and call since law is a service industry (like fast food, customer service lines, relationship managers) (My end goal is to work at said company, I think it's cool).

This is what life is. Make what you will of it, but failure at an early stage does not mean anything for your career. Some of us peak out early, some of us peak late but reach greater heights.

Similarly, if you have a FCH but you don't/can't manage clients, you're the best cog in the machine, but if you have a third class and can give client-centric advice, you're the machine being operated by the client.

To many of us it is what it is - A Job.
Reply With Quote
  #6065 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 01:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In any case, why would having/not having a job affect your worldview? If you are that fragile you'll never succeed in anything you do. I got retained, I don't think it's a big deal. The trade-offs are always there. If you're not retained you have a blank slate to find somewhere that fits you better as a person and as an employee.

Heck, you could even start a billion dollar gaming empire and the whole industry will be at your beck and call since law is a service industry (like fast food, customer service lines, relationship managers) (My end goal is to work at said company, I think it's cool).

This is what life is. Make what you will of it, but failure at an early stage does not mean anything for your career. Some of us peak out early, some of us peak late but reach greater heights.

Similarly, if you have a FCH but you don't/can't manage clients, you're the best cog in the machine, but if you have a third class and can give client-centric advice, you're the machine being operated by the client.

To many of us it is what it is - A Job.
Second lower, I mean. Forgot.
Reply With Quote
  #6066 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In any case, why would having/not having a job affect your worldview? If you are that fragile you'll never succeed in anything you do. I got retained, I don't think it's a big deal. The trade-offs are always there. If you're not retained you have a blank slate to find somewhere that fits you better as a person and as an employee.

Heck, you could even start a billion dollar gaming empire and the whole industry will be at your beck and call since law is a service industry (like fast food, customer service lines, relationship managers) (My end goal is to work at said company, I think it's cool).

This is what life is. Make what you will of it, but failure at an early stage does not mean anything for your career. Some of us peak out early, some of us peak late but reach greater heights.

Similarly, if you have a FCH but you don't/can't manage clients, you're the best cog in the machine, but if you have a third class and can give client-centric advice, you're the machine being operated by the client.

To many of us it is what it is - A Job.
It's easy to understand and agree with this on a cerebral level. But when you are actually jobless, there's an increasing psychologically strain. Have seen this play out with multiple people. It doesn't take long for the first signs of anxiety to seep in. However, good on you if you can maintain a positive mindset.

See the other salary.sg thread about being jobless for a long time.
Reply With Quote

  #6067 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's easy to understand and agree with this on a cerebral level. But when you are actually jobless, there's an increasing psychologically strain. Have seen this play out with multiple people. It doesn't take long for the first signs of anxiety to seep in. However, good on you if you can maintain a positive mindset.

See the other salary.sg thread about being jobless for a long time.
Exactly... the poster who got retained... obviously you did not have the 澱ad luck to experience the other side of things.
Would you rather trade the success you had for failure?
It痴 easy for someone to say 登h that person is so fragile, won稚 make it.
Some ppl were never given a chance very early on because they had such horrible and PTSD inducing bosses.
Reply With Quote
  #6068 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly... the poster who got retained... obviously you did not have the 澱ad luck to experience the other side of things.
Would you rather trade the success you had for failure?
It痴 easy for someone to say 登h that person is so fragile, won稚 make it.
Some ppl were never given a chance very early on because they had such horrible and PTSD inducing bosses.
I agree insofar that I cannot understand OP's grounds on an emotional level as to retention. But if someone asks have you ever worked at a PTSD inducing firm/department, I can definitely attest to pulling 3am nights or not sleeping for 2 or more days working on high stress matters, being treated like any other junior out there (blamed for things).

These experiences are not rare, and in fact, if you knew me you won't be saying that I can't understand. End of the day we all have to earn our stripes like everyone else. I have burnt out before, like every other junior, but I always pick myself up and you should too.
Reply With Quote
  #6069 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
unretained looking for positions now market truly sucks lol. Also anyone heard of CMS Holbein Asia? How痴 it like there
Quite a good boutique shop in SG. CMS is like a Dentons in Europe with thousands of lawyers.

The SG office is essentially Holborn Law, originally with a TMT and arbitration focused firm called Olswang that merged with CMS.
Reply With Quote
  #6070 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

is it worth it to try to specialise only in crim law?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,181 Replies, 2,886,713 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 181,014 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,398 Replies, 1,168,614 Views
20% salary bump? ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 4,992 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,042 Replies, 7,128,923 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
524 Replies, 285,042 Views
RM Salaries and Commissions
0 Replies, 44 Views
What are some good non-fang tech... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 18,571 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
965 Replies, 658,388 Views
Be a commodities trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
223 Replies, 216,239 Views
jobs at Tech companies
4 Replies, 3,205 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,042 Replies, 252,968 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,215 Replies, 3,937,175 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 113,932 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,494 Replies, 725,086 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,663 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
562 Replies, 215,092 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 110,420 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
560 Replies, 232,974 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
385 Replies, 181,741 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,475 Replies, 2,532,418 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 143,274 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
729 Replies, 205,092 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,844 Replies, 9,609,813 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,141 Replies, 955,993 Views
Relationship manager / Personal... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 51,121 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 143,298 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 432,588 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,389 Replies, 331,180 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,156 Replies, 3,149,416 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2