Lawyer Salary - Page 1051 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10501 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Disputes is an anomaly. Great hours. Great partners who leave you largely alone. Superstar juniors and senior associates who work very hard and technically brilliant. Superb team culture and great deals and rankings. Good progression to partnership too.
great hours, yet juniors work very hard?

means what sia?

Reply With Quote
  #10502 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The top 1% will get to work there. The next 4% will work in a US firm. The next 5% will work in a UK magic circle or other firm.

In all, roughly around 10% of Singaporean lawyers will work in an international firm. I'm not talking about those fake tie ups.

Objectively speaking, 1 out of 10 isn't good odds. you may think you're good or a very good lawyer, but it probably isn't good enough for the top 10 percentile. And the vast majority are average lawyers - that's why it's called an average.

Most of us lawyers think we're fairly bright and very hardworking. But firstly, the top among us are even brighter and work harder than you can fathom. And secondly, being smart and working hard in itself isn't even enough without the other X factors.

The reality for most of us is that we will be stuck practising law on mediocre salaries doing mediocre work. The stuff that even the big 4 law firms do in Singapore isn't at the cutting edge of litigation or finance
I'd advise all juniors to heed this person's advise. I agree 100%.
Have been in private practice for almost a decade and I will say that juniors who are more realistic with their expectations generally last longer in practice.

Reply With Quote
  #10503 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 09:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The top 1% will get to work there. The next 4% will work in a US firm. The next 5% will work in a UK magic circle or other firm.

In all, roughly around 10% of Singaporean lawyers will work in an international firm. I'm not talking about those fake tie ups.

Objectively speaking, 1 out of 10 isn't good odds. you may think you're good or a very good lawyer, but it probably isn't good enough for the top 10 percentile. And the vast majority are average lawyers - that's why it's called an average.

Most of us lawyers think we're fairly bright and very hardworking. But firstly, the top among us are even brighter and work harder than you can fathom. And secondly, being smart and working hard in itself isn't even enough without the other X factors.

The reality for most of us is that we will be stuck practising law on mediocre salaries doing mediocre work. The stuff that even the big 4 law firms do in Singapore isn't at the cutting edge of litigation or finance
Mostly true, but the 10% number is a reflection of the practice area and firm you are in rather than a general statistic.

For example, B4 lawyers in the M&A/financing/international arbi/R&I teams will EASILY transition to UK silver circle or better. You literally have recruiters messaging you nonstop on linkedin the moment you're a year past call. Of course, not all corp teams in B4 are born equal... some people here would know what I'm talking about, so this is not a uniform experience through B4

Reply With Quote
  #10504 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You got to admit it. Law is no longer as prestigious as it used to be. Now it's all about tech, tech and tech.
Indeed, gone are the days where a Chinatown sole proprietor practising community law can earn a sizeable income to live in landed and drive a continental car. Family law is besieged with severe undercutting. Some firms charge $2k+ inclusive of disbursements for contested divorces, there is no way other players can compete unless they go for huge volumes.

However, despite the tech boom in Singapore, there is a dearth of tech and patent lawyers. If any lawyer is smart enough, he/she will learn programming to take advantage of up and coming tech startups who need legal advice. It is a pity but many uppity law undergrads in universities think tech is beneath them and only for uncool nerds.
Reply With Quote
  #10505 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Meanwhile bankers making half a mil under 30
s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread-18.html
Reply With Quote
  #10506 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi - can I have some input from practising lawyers on whether Law in Singapore is a sunset industry? No trolls please. I'm considering study law but I'm concerned about prospects.

Also, how tough is it to find a job today? Are there too many lawyers fighting for too little jobs?
Reply With Quote

  #10507 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 11:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi - can I have some input from practising lawyers on whether Law in Singapore is a sunset industry? No trolls please. I'm considering study law but I'm concerned about prospects.

Also, how tough is it to find a job today? Are there too many lawyers fighting for too little jobs?
I'm in law practice for 1-2 years but this is purely my observations:

As a whole, law is not a sunset industry, but several "traditional" areas of law are. Family, real estate and PIMA/NIMA are sunset, with severe undercutting and gradual tightening of how much lawyers can charge their clients.

For corporate (non-litigation), it remains relevant but the pandemic accelerated the embracing of technology. And it is in trouble, because AI can draft simple SPAs, STAs, etc. Companies may dispense with engaging a lawyer for drafting, although they will still hire a lawyer in the event that the deal falls through and litigation is inevitable. I say it is "semi-sunset".

The areas of law that are booming, or poised to in the future, are tech and intellectual property. There aren't enough lawyers in these areas to take advantage of the tech boom in Singapore. Needless to say, it is not easy to be a lawyer in these fields as it requires expert knowledge in tech as well, and not many law undergrads know these.

For criminal law, there is still a future as Singaporeans are mostly middle-class now and willing to pay if it means avoiding custodial sentences. Also, with the government trying to control the internet and its expression, together with Singaporeans becoming more "woke", expect more cases to come up, like the smiley face incident.

Regarding toughness of finding a job or whether too many lawyers fighting for jobs, the answer is an absolute yes. So go pad your CV up when you are still in university. Forget about joining orientation groups or clubs/societies, those don't mean **** when applying for a job as lawyer. Instead, be more "anti-social" and spend more time getting more internships and building connections with senior lawyers. Anyway, you will realize that 99% of your friends are fair-weathered friends and they aren't going to be nice once you all compete for the same slice of the pie.
Reply With Quote
  #10508 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Indeed, gone are the days where a Chinatown sole proprietor practising community law can earn a sizeable income to live in landed and drive a continental car. Family law is besieged with severe undercutting. Some firms charge $2k+ inclusive of disbursements for contested divorces, there is no way other players can compete unless they go for huge volumes.

However, despite the tech boom in Singapore, there is a dearth of tech and patent lawyers. If any lawyer is smart enough, he/she will learn programming to take advantage of up and coming tech startups who need legal advice. It is a pity but many uppity law undergrads in universities think tech is beneath them and only for uncool nerds.
I'm still in law school but I've spoken to a few senior lawyers in B4 (over networking sessions) and they have all said that learning to code is not actually necessary for being a tech lawyer. Can someone give concrete examples of how learning programming would help in giving legal advice ?
Reply With Quote
  #10509 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

anyone knows what happened to the supposed to be incoming nus law dean, why changed back to the previous one?
Reply With Quote
  #10510 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
anyone knows what happened to the supposed to be incoming nus law dean, why changed back to the previous one?
Sexual misconduct
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
981 Replies, 508,184 Views
Rakuten Software Engineer (Fresh... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 6,467 Views
Salary for JPM Summer Analyst
2 Replies, 100 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,461 Replies, 10,902,193 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,685 Replies, 1,514,823 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,570 Replies, 4,020,541 Views
DSO (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 71,999 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,816 Replies, 7,258,514 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,610 Replies, 3,670,900 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,529 Replies, 13,009,332 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 14,578 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
6 Replies, 793 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,684 Replies, 5,591,988 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,390 Replies, 6,662,611 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,439 Replies, 728,942 Views
Best Stat board/Ministry ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 39,036 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,971 Replies, 1,711,530 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,204 Replies, 482,034 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 91,356 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,115 Replies, 4,957,485 Views
Working in SIT (Singapore...
4 Replies, 6,151 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,349 Replies, 1,198,639 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,188 Replies, 2,600,693 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
668 Replies, 487,103 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
925 Replies, 492,985 Views
Early Retirement ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 18,136 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,669 Replies, 2,661,355 Views
HSBC Bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 120,047 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,491 Replies, 838,794 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,586 Replies, 1,271,756 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2