Lawyer Salary - Page 1050 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10491 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2021, 10:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes I mean all this **** talk/bragging about schools resemble frogs in a well arguing over whose medula oblongata is bigger. Law is a sunset industry. Yes, the world needs lawyers. But the world does not need that many.

Let's be real. All this bickering shows that the market is saturated and long gone are the golden days. Ask any senior lawyer.

Go to tech oil finance or drop shipping. That's where the real money is, and money talks. Anyone worth a hoot could hire a better lawyer than you ever will be, regardless of what you say about his school
You are clearly ignorant. The university ranking shows it all. NUS Law > any other schools besides Oxbridge.

Reply With Quote
  #10492 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are clearly ignorant. The university ranking shows it all. NUS Law > any other schools besides Oxbridge.
Yes, for TCs at Chinatown

Reply With Quote
  #10493 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's Part B failure rate like?

My firm is thinking of not retaining my juniors

Reply With Quote
  #10494 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's Part B failure rate like?

My firm is thinking of not retaining my juniors
From anecdotal evidence, seems to be same as previous years, 60-70% pass rate (although it seems more ppl failed crim due to the "fail one qns fail the paper rule") before retakes, and then (I assume since results are not out) 99% after retakes.
Reply With Quote
  #10495 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 12:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From anecdotal evidence, seems to be same as previous years, 60-70% pass rate (although it seems more ppl failed crim due to the "fail one qns fail the paper rule") before retakes, and then (I assume since results are not out) 99% after retakes.
I heard the failure rate this year was higher. Trainees please do tell. What horrors have you been through
Reply With Quote
  #10496 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 02:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I heard the failure rate this year was higher. Trainees please do tell. What horrors have you been through
I thought it was okay leh. Some questions were a bit WTF but overall the papers were doable.

I’d say about a third of the people in my social circle failed one paper at the first sitting. Common culprits this year are ACP, crim, wills.

Based on seniors’ experiences, most people who fail a paper just do the retakes, pass, and move on. It doesn’t seem like a huge deal.

Failing two papers or the retakes is probably a red flag though.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #10497 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 02:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Most big US firms are giving craaaaazy bonuses right now s://abovethelaw.com/2021/03/special-bonus-tracker-2021/.

Work has been through the roof for them and they are throwing money at their associates to stop them from quitting due to burnout.

Be careful what you wish for salary wise.

But also, brb looking at doing a BARBRI course and becoming a US summer associate.
Reply With Quote
  #10498 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 03:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most big US firms are giving craaaaazy bonuses right now s://abovethelaw.com/2021/03/special-bonus-tracker-2021/.

Work has been through the roof for them and they are throwing money at their associates to stop them from quitting due to burnout.

Be careful what you wish for salary wise.

But also, brb looking at doing a BARBRI course and becoming a US summer associate.
this forum should focus on SG lawyers' salaries and experiences.

not sure why everyone is always harping on about US pay - law is a graduate degree there, law graduates are often up to their ears in debt (both undergrad tuition and law school tuition), the US bar exam is closed book, and it is very common for people to be renting their own apartments in high COL places like NYC, Boston, SF *during* law school. given those costs (time costs & monetary expenses), their high salaries make sense. and many people don't survive very long in biglaw anyway
Reply With Quote
  #10499 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 04:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
this forum should focus on SG lawyers' salaries and experiences.

not sure why everyone is always harping on about US pay - law is a graduate degree there, law graduates are often up to their ears in debt (both undergrad tuition and law school tuition), the US bar exam is closed book, and it is very common for people to be renting their own apartments in high COL places like NYC, Boston, SF *during* law school. given those costs (time costs & monetary expenses), their high salaries make sense. and many people don't survive very long in biglaw anyway
Because you can work for Gunderson or Latham in Singapore and get that same salary.
Reply With Quote
  #10500 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Because you can work for Gunderson or Latham in Singapore and get that same salary.
The top 1% will get to work there. The next 4% will work in a US firm. The next 5% will work in a UK magic circle or other firm.

In all, roughly around 10% of Singaporean lawyers will work in an international firm. I'm not talking about those fake tie ups.

Objectively speaking, 1 out of 10 isn't good odds. you may think you're good or a very good lawyer, but it probably isn't good enough for the top 10 percentile. And the vast majority are average lawyers - that's why it's called an average.

Most of us lawyers think we're fairly bright and very hardworking. But firstly, the top among us are even brighter and work harder than you can fathom. And secondly, being smart and working hard in itself isn't even enough without the other X factors.

The reality for most of us is that we will be stuck practising law on mediocre salaries doing mediocre work. The stuff that even the big 4 law firms do in Singapore isn't at the cutting edge of litigation or finance
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,164 Replies, 3,308,402 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,960 Replies, 2,082,909 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,744 Replies, 1,466,104 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,208 Replies, 6,356,190 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,740 Replies, 1,005,539 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,618 Replies, 4,829,513 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
700 Replies, 519,285 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,053 Replies, 2,231,544 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 696,945 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
6 Replies, 3,536 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 734,712 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,720 Replies, 1,337,578 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 8,951 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,260,305 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 314,837 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,624 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,663,933 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 377,285 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,496,057 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 154,958 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,486,824 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,770 Replies, 4,561,821 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,862 Replies, 10,153,016 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 275 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 384,017 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 125,913 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 382,873 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 421,657 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 72,043 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 585,027 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2