Lawyer Salary - Page 51 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #501 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think we have to differentiate between connections and no connections. This is the reality. Ppl with 2:2s, below cum laude - if they have connections and bother to use it, big fours, JLVs, etc are not an issue. They do not fall into any of the categories when it comes to finding a TC. Even if they do not admit it, it's quite obvious.

Excluding these people, it is quite plain that 2:2s, below cum laude are having a bad time. 2:1s/Magnas from NUS/SMU do get the opportunities for interview, but after that it's all about performance.

Frankly CCAs are not important unless they relate to law, i.e. Moots.

Reply With Quote
  #502 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think we have to differentiate between connections and no connections. This is the reality. Ppl with 2:2s, below cum laude - if they have connections and bother to use it, big fours, JLVs, etc are not an issue. They do not fall into any of the categories when it comes to finding a TC. Even if they do not admit it, it's quite obvious.

Excluding these people, it is quite plain that 2:2s, below cum laude are having a bad time. 2:1s/Magnas from NUS/SMU do get the opportunities for interview, but after that it's all about performance.

Frankly CCAs are not important unless they relate to law, i.e. Moots.
Agree 100% on the connections point. If you know someone and/or are in a rich/famous family, you are going to get a place no matter how badly you do. I have seen people like this.

Well the people I know (with 2:2s/below cum laude) did not get in through connections. Its possible that they got in through internship performance however.

The 2:2/non-cum laudes in my school aren't really having a rough time. A good proportion have places in medium (and even large) firms while the rest have settled for small/boutiques. Most got their TCs in Year 3. I know of noone without a TC from my batch.

As for CCAs, I was in a biz/finance related CCA and it was a pretty big point of interest in every interview that I had with a law firm (and I applied for disputes, not corporate). I think having a CCA does not secure you a place, but it should put you at least above another equal candidate (i.e. same grades) without any CCA.

Reply With Quote
  #503 (permalink)  
Old 24-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is Oxbridge viewed so highly in singapore? Is a 2:1 Oxbridge degree viewed on the same level as a NUS first class?

Reply With Quote
  #504 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree 100% on the connections point. If you know someone and/or are in a rich/famous family, you are going to get a place no matter how badly you do. I have seen people like this.

Well the people I know (with 2:2s/below cum laude) did not get in through connections. Its possible that they got in through internship performance however.

The 2:2/non-cum laudes in my school aren't really having a rough time. A good proportion have places in medium (and even large) firms while the rest have settled for small/boutiques. Most got their TCs in Year 3. I know of noone without a TC from my batch.

As for CCAs, I was in a biz/finance related CCA and it was a pretty big point of interest in every interview that I had with a law firm (and I applied for disputes, not corporate). I think having a CCA does not secure you a place, but it should put you at least above another equal candidate (i.e. same grades) without any CCA.
I am a 2:2 from NUS and I had difficulties securing interviews (much less positions) in medium / large firms then. Most of the firms who interviewed me had less than 25 lawyers. I don't think I am alone in this as most of my 2:2 peers faced the same problems. A lot of us ended up taking positions in small firms that were a nightmare. I heard horror stories that life isn't peachy in SMU too and there were juniors who were unable to secure a TC even in Year 4.
Reply With Quote
  #505 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a 2:2 from NUS and I had difficulties securing interviews (much less positions) in medium / large firms then. Most of the firms who interviewed me had less than 25 lawyers. I don't think I am alone in this as most of my 2:2 peers faced the same problems. A lot of us ended up taking positions in small firms that were a nightmare. I heard horror stories that life isn't peachy in SMU too and there were juniors who were unable to secure a TC even in Year 4.
Thats odd. I am a magna in my final year from SMU. Most of my batchmates, myself included, with cum laude and above received multiple offers from large and medium firms
Those below cum laude (slightly above half the cohort I believe) normally got their offers from smaller firms, and later in the application cycle (usually around y3s2). I believe this is the same for my batchmates in NUS as well.

I have yet to hear of anyone in my batch without a TC; pretty much everyone in my batch knows each other well so its not really likely that there is a significant number of people that haven't secured their TCs. That said though, I have heard of horror stories of smaller firms that offer no retention (i.e. they only take in trainees but do not convert them to associates) or extremely low pay. By extremely low pay I mean under 4k as a first year - might as well have done business or some other degree haha.

It is possible that the fact that SMU forces students to take multiple internships (minimum of 10 weeks total),to do volunteer work (i think it was 80h min), and to take classes on resume writing and interview skills, coupled with our relatively small cohort size (my batch had under a 100 due to an unusually high dropout rate), may have given us a slight lead on applications. It is also very likely that, as time passes, each batch will progressively find it harder to get places.
Reply With Quote
  #506 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thats odd. I am a magna in my final year from SMU. Most of my batchmates, myself included, with cum laude and above received multiple offers from large and medium firms
Those below cum laude (slightly above half the cohort I believe) normally got their offers from smaller firms, and later in the application cycle (usually around y3s2). I believe this is the same for my batchmates in NUS as well.

I have yet to hear of anyone in my batch without a TC; pretty much everyone in my batch knows each other well so its not really likely that there is a significant number of people that haven't secured their TCs. That said though, I have heard of horror stories of smaller firms that offer no retention (i.e. they only take in trainees but do not convert them to associates) or extremely low pay. By extremely low pay I mean under 4k as a first year - might as well have done business or some other degree haha.

It is possible that the fact that SMU forces students to take multiple internships (minimum of 10 weeks total),to do volunteer work (i think it was 80h min), and to take classes on resume writing and interview skills, coupled with our relatively small cohort size (my batch had under a 100 due to an unusually high dropout rate), may have given us a slight lead on applications. It is also very likely that, as time passes, each batch will progressively find it harder to get places.
Hi I'm a new voice to this conversation. Would just like to point out that regardless of the truth of this particular situation, current law students shouldn't let their guard down. Most newspaper articles have pointed to a glut of Lawyers. Yet someone is suggesting the opposite here, that anyone from a local law school will 100% have no problem getting a TC even if they have a poor second lower or non-cum-Laude. This is effectively a suggestion that there is no glut of Lawyers, and that times are still the same as 5 years ago when any local law student could get a TC easily.

The SMU year 4 situation may or may not be true. Regardless, it is not indicative of current market conditions. Students shouldn't have the mentality that "oh as Long as I am a local student I will confirm 100% get a TC no matter how poorly I perform in school". This is definitely false, and merely puts pressure on the many local students who are either unable to get a TC, or have decided not to apply because they think they can't get a TC anyway.
Reply With Quote

  #507 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 06:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm a new voice to this conversation. Would just like to point out that regardless of the truth of this particular situation, current law students shouldn't let their guard down. Most newspaper articles have pointed to a glut of Lawyers. Yet someone is suggesting the opposite here, that anyone from a local law school will 100% have no problem getting a TC even if they have a poor second lower or non-cum-Laude. This is effectively a suggestion that there is no glut of Lawyers, and that times are still the same as 5 years ago when any local law student could get a TC easily.

The SMU year 4 situation may or may not be true. Regardless, it is not indicative of current market conditions. Students shouldn't have the mentality that "oh as Long as I am a local student I will confirm 100% get a TC no matter how poorly I perform in school". This is definitely false, and merely puts pressure on the many local students who are either unable to get a TC, or have decided not to apply because they think they can't get a TC anyway.
I'm the poster you quoted. In no way did I intend to suggest that conditions now are the same as 5 years ago and I apologise if that seemed to be the case. My seniors (2-3 batches above, before the glut) could secure TCs very easily, with even non-cum laudes getting places in the big 4. Students of the same standard now can only realistically aim for places at small firms, and must work doubly hard to even stand a chance against the hundreds (literally!) of students from other schools. So while most of my batchmates do have TCs, they probably had a lot less leeway in choosing in which firm to join (most of us grab the first thing that comes along).


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #508 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm the poster you quoted. In no way did I intend to suggest that conditions now are the same as 5 years ago and I apologise if that seemed to be the case. My seniors (2-3 batches above, before the glut) could secure TCs very easily, with even non-cum laudes getting places in the big 4. Students of the same standard now can only realistically aim for places at small firms, and must work doubly hard to even stand a chance against the hundreds (literally!) of students from other schools. So while most of my batchmates do have TCs, they probably had a lot less leeway in choosing in which firm to join (most of us grab the first thing that comes along).
Out of curiosity, how many trainees do the big 4 recruit in a year?

I mean the easiest way to work out how easy or difficult the current market is at the moment is to look at the numbers. Assuming each big 4 takes in 40 a year, that is 160. Assuming the foreign law firms (Magic Circle, US firms) take in 10, other mid tiers like (Rodyk, TSMP, Lee&Lee etc) take in 100. That is a total number of less than 300 (extremely optimistic).

In one batch, the number of law students from overseas (Aus/UK) + NUS/SMU easily exceed 700-800, it is likely that students are less picky.

What I'm most fascinated is that I didn't know the small firms in Singapore could absorb a few hundred grads, that is truly unexpected!
Reply With Quote
  #509 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Retention rates are quite bad also. Big fours retention rate is slightly above 60%. Medium firms retain less than half of their trainees. And small firms (below 30 lawyers) do not even retain. This figures are set to get worse as the market reaction is usually delayed by two years due to trainees securing their TC 1-2 years before graduation.

Therefore, the market has obviously not recovered from the glut, and with a slowing economy and possible recession next year, lesser transactions, etc, it's going to be quite a rough time ahead.

In such situations, people usually resort to whatever connections they can find.
Reply With Quote
  #510 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I believe the big 4s take in closer to 35 trainees each/per year. Based on the news, I don't think there are 700/800 people getting called to the bar each year, the number should be closer to 400-450. I suspect a large number of law grads seek their fortunes elsewhere whether by choice or due to their inability to secure a TC.

I don't think small firms are able to absorb a few hundred grads. Most small firms are used to not having any junior lawyers and/or may not have the budget or resources to hire any. I do see a large number of my peers working in smaller firms with less than 25 lawyers eventually. Due to the glut/poor economic conditions, retention rates are at a record low rate and many firms (both big and small) hire without any intention to retain everyone. Most trainees who are not retained tend to trickle down to smaller firms.

To clarify, it is not true that small firms do not even retain, as mentioned by another poster. I know of many friends who were offered retention by smaller firms (including myself), and the retention rate appears comparable to medium size firms. Retention rates vary vastly across different firms, so I will encourage juniors to do their homework before accepting the first offer they receive.

Anyway, please post if you hear news of pay cuts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 11:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,329 Replies, 1,023,934 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,317 Replies, 273,091 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,204 Replies, 981,159 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
998 Replies, 440,433 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,929 Replies, 1,167,700 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
463 Replies, 194,991 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
571 Replies, 276,630 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 217,574 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,753 Replies, 596,751 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
301 Replies, 512,047 Views
Enquiries about NEA scientific...
0 Replies, 154 Views
Performance Improvement Plan - New... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 7,145 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 3,248 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 794,805 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 34,074 Views
Senior police officer in SPF...... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 51,937 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,102 Replies, 3,838,374 Views
Exxon salary question
2 Replies, 766 Views
Fresh Grad looking to enter...
1 Replies, 1,212 Views
Startup or Bank?
3 Replies, 398 Views
Salary in India vs Singapore. ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,099 Views
Shipping industry (low basic +...
5 Replies, 846 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 310,675 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
0 Replies, 272 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
50 Replies, 29,345 Views
20% salary bump?
2 Replies, 671 Views
M&E Engineer (PSA)
0 Replies, 221 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
51 Replies, 28,162 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,214 Replies, 410,647 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2