Career as Teacher - Page 970 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9691 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2023, 06:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You really think that the younger teachers are smarter and more savvy? Do you see the kind of questions I this thread where a simple search would suffice - "when does open posting start", "When will the connect plan pay out"?, "if I quit before x date, will I still qualify for connect plan pay out?" "what's the difference between open and closed posting"
People who come here and waste time flaming each other or asking dumb questions are at the bottom of the barrel. The average teacher doesn't even bother, they're doing their work on school days and having a life during the weekends and holidays.

Reply With Quote
  #9692 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2023, 10:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you have been given an internal position and told that you will be groomed for a formal position, how long would it usually take? In the mean time, is it possible for them to assign someone external to take over the formal position which is currently open?
Yes, possible. Have seen cases where the internal KP got played out by the P.

Reply With Quote
  #9693 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2023, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nah, it's got nothing to do with promotion for the sake of promotion. The name/number of the subgrade means nothing. It's got all to do with getting a fair salary for the work done. All experienced classroom teachers do the same job at heart, so there's no reason for such wide salary disparity.

I'm sure regular classroom teachers with no management aspirations won't mind being stuck at the GEO5/5A ceiling for a long time, rather than getting pathetic 2% increments per year and getting their two promotions spread out evenly across the next 30 years.

"Spreading out promotions to sustain motivation" is a pathetic line of reasoning for slowing down promotions, because anyone with common sense can see that the area under the curve over one's whole career is larger the sooner one hits 5/5A and/or the ceiling.
Well said. No one cares about the rank.

The reason why they chase after ranks, is because it is tied to salary.

The average performer will hit the salary ceiling of geo3 in 4-6 years.

If still haven't promote before hitting ceiling, it basically means that any increase in workload is not compensated by any increase in pay. Coupled with inflation, pay will lag behind similar-age peers even more.

Also, the higher the base pay, the higher the increment. The faster one promote, the earlier one can hit the geo5/5a ceiling (which isn't too shabby)

Reply With Quote
  #9694 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2023, 07:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Way to generalize! 👏
Generalising that younger gen = more savvy is ok

Generalising that younger gen = more spoon fed is not ok

Why?
Reply With Quote
  #9695 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2023, 08:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You really think that the younger teachers are smarter and more savvy? Do you see the kind of questions I this thread where a simple search would suffice - "when does open posting start", "When will the connect plan pay out"?, "if I quit before x date, will I still qualify for connect plan pay out?" "what's the difference between open and closed posting"
Bro this is a forum, not an encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote
  #9696 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2023, 10:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, possible. Have seen cases where the internal KP got played out by the P.
I think have but quite rare la. I heard of one but because change of P... and the new P was quite an ass.
Reply With Quote

  #9697 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2023, 09:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well said. No one cares about the rank.

The reason why they chase after ranks, is because it is tied to salary.

The average performer will hit the salary ceiling of geo3 in 4-6 years.

If still haven't promote before hitting ceiling, it basically means that any increase in workload is not compensated by any increase in pay. Coupled with inflation, pay will lag behind similar-age peers even more.

Also, the higher the base pay, the higher the increment. The faster one promote, the earlier one can hit the geo5/5a ceiling (which isn't too shabby)
2022] GEO3: 3900-6250
[2022] GEO4: 4800-7700
[2022] GEO5: 5150-8250

This is the current salary range for geo3-5. Assuming an average performer gets a $200 annual merit increment you're looking at ~11 years to go from 3900 - 6250. How would a person be able to hit the salary ceiling in the time u claim. Anyway, for the average performer at the very latest, they will get promoted in their 7th year. If you're taking longer than that, "bottom of the barrel" applies.

As I mentioned, the wide salary range gives rise to unhappiness. If geo4 was split into 2, from 4800 - 6200 and 6200 - 7700, what would be lost?
Reply With Quote
  #9698 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2023, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2022] GEO3: 3900-6250
[2022] GEO4: 4800-7700
[2022] GEO5: 5150-8250

This is the current salary range for geo3-5. Assuming an average performer gets a $200 annual merit increment you're looking at ~11 years to go from 3900 - 6250. How would a person be able to hit the salary ceiling in the time u claim. Anyway, for the average performer at the very latest, they will get promoted in their 7th year. If you're taking longer than that, "bottom of the barrel" applies.

As I mentioned, the wide salary range gives rise to unhappiness. If geo4 was split into 2, from 4800 - 6200 and 6200 - 7700, what would be lost?
Just randomly passing by here, but I just wish to correct some things.

1. The annual merit increment for an average performer is lower than 200.

2. Most offixers between GEO3 - 5 went through the COVID years, where the annual increment was so low that its almost insignificant (heard it was $50 or something?). That's 3 years of delay there.

3. There's also the issue of officers getting consecutively good grades of C+ and B, but are not promoted. We should collectively agree that these people shouldn't be at the "bottom of the barrel", otherwise why would they deserve good grades?

As for splitting the salary grades...no comment. There's both good and bad for that I suppose
Reply With Quote
  #9699 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2023, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Timing and luck is everything

I gotten 4 C+ and 1 B and still stuck in Geo 3, 8 years liao.
Reply With Quote
  #9700 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2023, 09:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Timing and luck is everything

I gotten 4 C+ and 1 B and still stuck in Geo 3, 8 years liao.
8 years in service, or 8 years in geo3?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
619 Replies, 315,743 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,211 Replies, 6,359,761 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 221,906 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
882 Replies, 479,005 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,626 Replies, 4,833,203 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,725 Replies, 1,340,111 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,776 Replies, 4,563,518 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
609 Replies, 357,653 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,063 Replies, 2,233,239 Views
Graduate Employment Survey 2023...
0 Replies, 186 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,174 Replies, 3,311,204 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,745 Replies, 1,006,681 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 9,032 Views
MOT (Ministry of Transport)
5 Replies, 5,525 Views
IBM salaries ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,591 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,745 Replies, 1,468,042 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,864 Replies, 10,158,615 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
7 Replies, 3,606 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,960 Replies, 2,084,914 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
700 Replies, 520,034 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 697,335 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 735,562 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,263,414 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,665,283 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 377,531 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,498,548 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 155,134 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,487,701 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 338 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2