Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 09-09-2023, 02:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can ask those who did well for A’s and went to the big 3 local unis to pursue accounting - have you all regretted not just study finance / banking & finance and just go banking or some other corporate job?

Was just thinking that the barriers to entry into accounting as a job isn’t even high… was once called a book keeper, wanted to retort, but the person wasn’t really wrong
theres a reason why you are not the 'book keeping'. even the dumbest of graduates start off as auditors who are immediately checking the work of these 'book keepers'

and no, in fact traditionally, the person in charge of the money is a very important and trusted role because of the underdeveloped internal controls. it is only with technology that diminished the requirement of this personal level of trust.

i think a very important thing you need to realize is that you are TRAINED as an accountant, but very few of us will actually become 'accountants'. Whether it be MAPs or Finance Analyst programs, theres no accountant role. Accountants are reserved for middle aged aunties who did a career change and studied ACCA like the jhks. even middle sized and larger companies are outsourcing these lowest level functions to service providers or international farms.

So what role do accounting graduates have? the traditional tried and tested way of thinking is to go big4 and grind ur 3-5 years and gain good knowledge and confidence regarding finance related subjects. you also learn the audit methodology and critical thinking which can be applied elsewhere. you also prove with your b4 experience that you are a hardworking dog who can adapt to any situation. from there you open up a wealth of exp of middle management roles like finance managers etc.

The barriers to entry are not one that is set up against an educational degree. It is set up based on experience and your professional cert (CPA, CA, CIA, CFA, CVA, CFMA, FRM, CISA etc). There are really not that many b4 people with a diverse enough experience between corporate and prof service to satisfy what companies are looking for nowadays in middle management finance roles. You have to package yourself into the best candidate for whatever role you aspire to be in.

but then again if you are still arguing with your friends over something as stupid as that you are probably still a kid and none of this is relevant to you. check back in 5 years and maybe it would make more sense to you.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can ask those who did well for A’s and went to the big 3 local unis to pursue accounting - have you all regretted not just study finance / banking & finance and just go banking or some other corporate job?

Was just thinking that the barriers to entry into accounting as a job isn’t even high… was once called a book keeper, wanted to retort, but the person wasn’t really wrong
this is the same as terming all doctors to be GPs or lawyers to be litigation lawyers. it the narrowest view of a function ever. clearly spoken by a uni kid with an ego the size of a watermelon.

the same crowd the fearmongers how AI is going to replace auditors. zero understanding of the nature of the work but like to pretend they know the future about the profession. accounting =/= book keeping.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
theres a reason why you are not the 'book keeping'. even the dumbest of graduates start off as auditors who are immediately checking the work of these 'book keepers'

and no, in fact traditionally, the person in charge of the money is a very important and trusted role because of the underdeveloped internal controls. it is only with technology that diminished the requirement of this personal level of trust.

i think a very important thing you need to realize is that you are TRAINED as an accountant, but very few of us will actually become 'accountants'. Whether it be MAPs or Finance Analyst programs, theres no accountant role. Accountants are reserved for middle aged aunties who did a career change and studied ACCA like the jhks. even middle sized and larger companies are outsourcing these lowest level functions to service providers or international farms.

So what role do accounting graduates have? the traditional tried and tested way of thinking is to go big4 and grind ur 3-5 years and gain good knowledge and confidence regarding finance related subjects. you also learn the audit methodology and critical thinking which can be applied elsewhere. you also prove with your b4 experience that you are a hardworking dog who can adapt to any situation. from there you open up a wealth of exp of middle management roles like finance managers etc.

The barriers to entry are not one that is set up against an educational degree. It is set up based on experience and your professional cert (CPA, CA, CIA, CFA, CVA, CFMA, FRM, CISA etc). There are really not that many b4 people with a diverse enough experience between corporate and prof service to satisfy what companies are looking for nowadays in middle management finance roles. You have to package yourself into the best candidate for whatever role you aspire to be in.

but then again if you are still arguing with your friends over something as stupid as that you are probably still a kid and none of this is relevant to you. check back in 5 years and maybe it would make more sense to you.
Sadly, I’m not a kid/fresh grad. It’s just that most of my peers know they’re not going to make partner. A number just left audit and then take up roles as finance manager / controller. Few make it to finance, finance/banks/funds.

Some also just head to the IA department of MNCs.

Point being is I’m looking back at, and friends who studied in Finance seem to be having a much better life having started out from a bank’s management programme. On the other hand, audit friends are still slogging it out till so late with lower pay.

Old 09-09-2023, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
its from 4.8 base
ppl say u give fake info, then u call ppl jhk lol. no wonder they rather hire jhk, if locals maths liddat i also rather hire jhk

4.8 is for first year senior in blue, second year is 5.3. those with SCA get around extra 1k (around 20%). i'm currently in blue and this is the latest revision. the problem is not many ppl get that extra 1k because few people would take SCA specifically, many just take ICAEW/CAANZ or something so that they can still jump to UK or AU next time for WLB.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

the problem is bosses here dont give a **** about quality accounting. that's why they are happy to hire 2.5k msians for standard accounting roles and 5k for manager, 7k for "CFO". everything let auditors adjust. even accruals also dont want to accrue themselves, must let auditor do. can't believe it was still a AAA/B course just a few years ago, not representative of the market at all, u brilliant also no use.

i wish i studied computer science, at least can wfh at high pay and wlb. finance have to rub shoulders with ultra kiasu hardos perpetually talking about rolex and no life, cannot stand them.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
ppl say u give fake info, then u call ppl jhk lol. no wonder they rather hire jhk, if locals maths liddat i also rather hire jhk

4.8 is for first year senior in blue, second year is 5.3. those with SCA get around extra 1k (around 20%). i'm currently in blue and this is the latest revision. the problem is not many ppl get that extra 1k because few people would take SCA specifically, many just take ICAEW/CAANZ or something so that they can still jump to UK or AU next time for WLB.
so smart means you are suggesting

S2: 5.3 (Without SCA), 6.3 (With SCA)

Then somehow between S2 and M only 700 gap cus M is 7? Please enlighten all of us whats the ban for

S4:
S3:
AM:
M:

Old 09-09-2023, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
the problem is bosses here dont give a **** about quality accounting. that's why they are happy to hire 2.5k msians for standard accounting roles and 5k for manager, 7k for "CFO". everything let auditors adjust. even accruals also dont want to accrue themselves, must let auditor do. can't believe it was still a AAA/B course just a few years ago, not representative of the market at all, u brilliant also no use.

i wish i studied computer science, at least can wfh at high pay and wlb. finance have to rub shoulders with ultra kiasu hardos perpetually talking about rolex and no life, cannot stand them.
Always picking extremes. com sci can also be outsourced to india farms, pakistan fiverrs. Sg software engineers are known for being prissy ****s and a horror to work with.

As for you point abt finance being outsourced, if you work in SME that probably is the case. But you always have the choice to aim higher and go into a larger company that doesnt do that.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Always picking extremes. com sci can also be outsourced to india farms, pakistan fiverrs. Sg software engineers are known for being prissy ****s and a horror to work with.

As for you point abt finance being outsourced, if you work in SME that probably is the case. But you always have the choice to aim higher and go into a larger company that doesnt do that.
Eh, that guy is an idiot for thinking CS life is easy but

Your statement is simply not true. The top talents move to the US for high pay. The mediocre or average will stay in sg. Pay is still OK, 5.5k ish for fresh grads ( at least that's what I got)

It's also WFH everyday but I work like a dog most days because there's no line between work and home anymore. If that guy thinks he can just work from home 9-5, I got some bad news for him.

There's lots of Indians but there's also lots of Singaporeans.

Every field has its pros and cons. I'm also constantly revising my coding skills on the weekend, that's how I gain an advantage over cheap contractors overseas who can't even speak proper English and use some of the popular tech framework.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

Also I don't know about your field so I can't comment.

I can say in tech, it's common to work 60-70 hrs a week.

The only ones working 40 or less are either

1. Useless 50-60 year old management
2. Fresh grads who can't code so not much work to assign to them.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Eh, that guy is an idiot for thinking CS life is easy but

Your statement is simply not true. The top talents move to the US for high pay. The mediocre or average will stay in sg. Pay is still OK, 5.5k ish for fresh grads ( at least that's what I got)

It's also WFH everyday but I work like a dog most days because there's no line between work and home anymore. If that guy thinks he can just work from home 9-5, I got some bad news for him.

There's lots of Indians but there's also lots of Singaporeans.

Every field has its pros and cons. I'm also constantly revising my coding skills on the weekend, that's how I gain an advantage over cheap contractors overseas who can't even speak proper English and use some of the popular tech framework.
i never said its easy to be a good cs person or do a good cs jobs. im saying low end jobs are being outsourced as well just like booking keeping, AP, AR etc