Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
theres a reason why you are not the 'book keeping'. even the dumbest of graduates start off as auditors who are immediately checking the work of these 'book keepers'

and no, in fact traditionally, the person in charge of the money is a very important and trusted role because of the underdeveloped internal controls. it is only with technology that diminished the requirement of this personal level of trust.

i think a very important thing you need to realize is that you are TRAINED as an accountant, but very few of us will actually become 'accountants'. Whether it be MAPs or Finance Analyst programs, theres no accountant role. Accountants are reserved for middle aged aunties who did a career change and studied ACCA like the jhks. even middle sized and larger companies are outsourcing these lowest level functions to service providers or international farms.

So what role do accounting graduates have? the traditional tried and tested way of thinking is to go big4 and grind ur 3-5 years and gain good knowledge and confidence regarding finance related subjects. you also learn the audit methodology and critical thinking which can be applied elsewhere. you also prove with your b4 experience that you are a hardworking dog who can adapt to any situation. from there you open up a wealth of exp of middle management roles like finance managers etc.

The barriers to entry are not one that is set up against an educational degree. It is set up based on experience and your professional cert (CPA, CA, CIA, CFA, CVA, CFMA, FRM, CISA etc). There are really not that many b4 people with a diverse enough experience between corporate and prof service to satisfy what companies are looking for nowadays in middle management finance roles. You have to package yourself into the best candidate for whatever role you aspire to be in.

but then again if you are still arguing with your friends over something as stupid as that you are probably still a kid and none of this is relevant to you. check back in 5 years and maybe it would make more sense to you.
Sadly, I’m not a kid/fresh grad. It’s just that most of my peers know they’re not going to make partner. A number just left audit and then take up roles as finance manager / controller. Few make it to finance, finance/banks/funds.

Some also just head to the IA department of MNCs.

Point being is I’m looking back at, and friends who studied in Finance seem to be having a much better life having started out from a bank’s management programme. On the other hand, audit friends are still slogging it out till so late with lower pay.