Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Engineer to banking

Old 24-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your advice too . I am not the threadstarter, noticed he studied chem engineering. I am another person who have just grad from local U who studied another type of engineering.

I will look to other job agencies to see if I have chance of landing perm operation jobs in bank and also to test for the market rate to see if its possible to get more than $2400. If not, I most probably have to try for contract positions.
Thanks again for this person, I am inspired by what you said. thank you.

Old 24-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sure, maybe at 40 your pay is 50% higher than peers, so? You lost out on non-professional social network, your family, if any, probably sux relationship wise since you are never at home, your health likely suffers due to overwork, you find out at the age of 40 you know nobody, nothing else besides work. What are you going to do then? Take a lower paying job and restart your entire life in terms of family, friends, hobbies, health etc? This is easier said than done.

I have nothing against people who made a decision to go for such a lifestyle in pursuit of money, it is their choice. But a brash dismissal of anyone who might harbor different preferences and outlook on life can only be done by someone who has a very inexperienced and narrow view of life.
Nobody is dismissing the pursuit of a lifestyle. I think you are too sensitive. Is your inferiority complex acting up again? In any case, there is no lifestyle without money, especially in Singapore, so i don't know what you are talking about. Plus, pursuing a lifestyle already when you are young and have no real lifestyle obligation? I think you are nuts.

Just stay mediocre as you are now, and by the time you hit 40-50, and your kids needs the money to go to a good university and you lack the cash, maybe then you will regret that pseudo lifestyle that you are talking now. Seriously, what is that lifestyle that you are talking about that you need balancing so much? I work 10 hours a day, have a great lifestyle, and probably make at least 200% more than you. That's cos i worked hard, while you try to mask your laziness behind the self-justification of "lifestyle".

Go sleep on it.

Old 24-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have only one piece of advice for the TS: take the damn contract position if offered!

let's have a look at what you have: a 3rd class degree and no experience. ok so you basically be nothing working for you and everything working against you. you were given a chance to prove yourself in the local uni; you blew it and got a 3rd class. yes, i'm sure you have sob stories to share, but chances are you screwed up cos you didn't care. and you have no relevant work experience, which means that you know next to nothing on the job that you are applying for, and is therefore of no value.

if a contract job is offered to you, take it. even if they pay you crap, take it. but that's not all. take it and be prepared to work very hard. if the bank offers you a contract job, your potential boss is actually throwing you a bone, ie giving you a chance to redeem yourself. So do all the **** that nobody wants to do, and do it so well the **** becomes gold. work the hardest, and learn as much as you can. everything ppl throw at you, so yes with a smile and then say thank you. and then deliver the work at the highest quality you can offer.

if you can do the above, i am sure that you will be made permanent. u wasted 4 years, and now is a chance to make up for your wasted years in 7-8months. you'll be a fool not to seize it.

people who don't believe banking pays well typically because they are not willing to sacrifice, and wants work-life balance. balance my ass. if you don't work your ass off when you are young, when can you do it? when you are old? the salary in banks starts low but shoots up exponentially if you prove that you are reliable and good. by good, i don't mean smart, i mean willing to do the hard work. if you are willing to work hard, making a 100k annual package will take no more than 5year. by then you will be at a base that is 40-50% higher than your work-life balance peers, and that's when you can decide if you want more, or real work-life balance.
I meant to quote this post, not the above post, thanks for this person, what you said are inpsiring... thank you

Old 24-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Unregistered

Above poster: There is no need to get personal just because people have different view of career compared to you. Trying to insult people that they have inferior complex or how much more money you you make is rude and pointless.

We are all here to share our views and discuss our experience, so let's make it constructive. No need to shout here how rich you are, nobody can verify and nobody is interested also.

Just my 2C.
Old 24-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Above poster: There is no need to get personal just because people have different view of career compared to you. Trying to insult people that they have inferior complex or how much more money you you make is rude and pointless.

We are all here to share our views and discuss our experience, so let's make it constructive. No need to shout here how rich you are, nobody can verify and nobody is interested also.

Just my 2C.
laying out facts is neither rude nor pointless. "rich" is a relative concept, and obviously you are interested or you wouldn't be in "salary.sg" forum.

As for constructiveness, your post comes across as the most unconstructive. Simple test: delete your post and nobody who read ithe thread subsequently will miss anything.

I'm here to share my views and experience, and at least I can substantiate and back my views. If you have a view, say it; if not, don't use forumer's time with your inconsequential post.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nobody is dismissing the pursuit of a lifestyle. I think you are too sensitive. Is your inferiority complex acting up again? In any case, there is no lifestyle without money, especially in Singapore, so i don't know what you are talking about. Plus, pursuing a lifestyle already when you are young and have no real lifestyle obligation? I think you are nuts.

Just stay mediocre as you are now, and by the time you hit 40-50, and your kids needs the money to go to a good university and you lack the cash, maybe then you will regret that pseudo lifestyle that you are talking now. Seriously, what is that lifestyle that you are talking about that you need balancing so much? I work 10 hours a day, have a great lifestyle, and probably make at least 200% more than you. That's cos i worked hard, while you try to mask your laziness behind the self-justification of "lifestyle".

Go sleep on it.
Oh yar, Mr high-flyer cum tycoon, wow I'm so impressed such a rich fellow like you who have a high flying career & great lifestyle is trolling the salary.sg to announce your richness.

Please, give me a break. Better use your time to send in more CVs, maybe still can get a job if try hard enough.

Old 27-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh yar, Mr high-flyer cum tycoon, wow I'm so impressed such a rich fellow like you who have a high flying career & great lifestyle is trolling the salary.sg to announce your richness.

Please, give me a break. Better use your time to send in more CVs, maybe still can get a job if try hard enough.
sour graph.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

A lot of losers here always think small. When experience ppl come in and tell them what is like in the bank, common reaction is to sour grape and say not possible or kbkb about long hours or want work life balance rubbish.

That's why they always stuck to their jobs with rubbish pay, climb slowly and reach 5k monthly in late 30s only to get retrench when they are 40.

Losers

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 28-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
A lot of losers here always think small. When experience ppl come in and tell them what is like in the bank, common reaction is to sour grape and say not possible or kbkb about long hours or want work life balance rubbish.

That's why they always stuck to their jobs with rubbish pay, climb slowly and reach 5k monthly in late 30s only to get retrench when they are 40.

Losers
Arent you a loser yrself when you reply to this thread? Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, not against the law right?

So what if you r from the bank and earning 8k or 10k, in the end you are still a dog to your boss right? Just a more expensive breed of dog only.

Get a life and move on, if you are so good be the next Mark Zuckerberg (dont end up being Mark KuKu Bird hahaha), dont work for others.

Dog
Old 28-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Arent you a loser yrself when you reply to this thread? Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, not against the law right?

So what if you r from the bank and earning 8k or 10k, in the end you are still a dog to your boss right? Just a more expensive breed of dog only.

Get a life and move on, if you are so good be the next Mark Zuckerberg (dont end up being Mark KuKu Bird hahaha), dont work for others.

Dog
What up with losers? Everytime they hear someone having a better life than them response is either sour grapes and deny and say cannot be true or to cite some super billionaire as if it makes them less of a loser.