Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure, maybe at 40 your pay is 50% higher than peers, so? You lost out on non-professional social network, your family, if any, probably sux relationship wise since you are never at home, your health likely suffers due to overwork, you find out at the age of 40 you know nobody, nothing else besides work. What are you going to do then? Take a lower paying job and restart your entire life in terms of family, friends, hobbies, health etc? This is easier said than done.

I have nothing against people who made a decision to go for such a lifestyle in pursuit of money, it is their choice. But a brash dismissal of anyone who might harbor different preferences and outlook on life can only be done by someone who has a very inexperienced and narrow view of life.
Nobody is dismissing the pursuit of a lifestyle. I think you are too sensitive. Is your inferiority complex acting up again? In any case, there is no lifestyle without money, especially in Singapore, so i don't know what you are talking about. Plus, pursuing a lifestyle already when you are young and have no real lifestyle obligation? I think you are nuts.

Just stay mediocre as you are now, and by the time you hit 40-50, and your kids needs the money to go to a good university and you lack the cash, maybe then you will regret that pseudo lifestyle that you are talking now. Seriously, what is that lifestyle that you are talking about that you need balancing so much? I work 10 hours a day, have a great lifestyle, and probably make at least 200% more than you. That's cos i worked hard, while you try to mask your laziness behind the self-justification of "lifestyle".

Go sleep on it.