Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have only one piece of advice for the TS: take the damn contract position if offered!

let's have a look at what you have: a 3rd class degree and no experience. ok so you basically be nothing working for you and everything working against you. you were given a chance to prove yourself in the local uni; you blew it and got a 3rd class. yes, i'm sure you have sob stories to share, but chances are you screwed up cos you didn't care. and you have no relevant work experience, which means that you know next to nothing on the job that you are applying for, and is therefore of no value.

if a contract job is offered to you, take it. even if they pay you crap, take it. but that's not all. take it and be prepared to work very hard. if the bank offers you a contract job, your potential boss is actually throwing you a bone, ie giving you a chance to redeem yourself. So do all the **** that nobody wants to do, and do it so well the **** becomes gold. work the hardest, and learn as much as you can. everything ppl throw at you, so yes with a smile and then say thank you. and then deliver the work at the highest quality you can offer.

if you can do the above, i am sure that you will be made permanent. u wasted 4 years, and now is a chance to make up for your wasted years in 7-8months. you'll be a fool not to seize it.

people who don't believe banking pays well typically because they are not willing to sacrifice, and wants work-life balance. balance my ass. if you don't work your ass off when you are young, when can you do it? when you are old? the salary in banks starts low but shoots up exponentially if you prove that you are reliable and good. by good, i don't mean smart, i mean willing to do the hard work. if you are willing to work hard, making a 100k annual package will take no more than 5year. by then you will be at a base that is 40-50% higher than your work-life balance peers, and that's when you can decide if you want more, or real work-life balance.
I meant to quote this post, not the above post, thanks for this person, what you said are inpsiring... thank you