15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 49 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Unregistered

Think positive everyone. By the time you reach pax 4, you can cruise along.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have to agree. All Pax6 are working hard on their way up and are punished by a mere 4% (could be only 2 to 3%). Those who wants to apply for poly please reconsider, amount of workload for pax5 and pax6 is if not comparable to industry..
Please, this is not reward. Is an adjustment of wages in view of market salary.

Pax6 people are drawing market rate salary, in fact most pax 6 people join poly with INCREMEBT instead of pay cut like most people do. Pax6 work harder? Of course, you are UNPROVEN in industry that was why you are placed in pax6. If you dont work hard, how can you claim a spot on pax5 or 4?

Its a free market, dont like? Go back to industry. There are many more waiting and queuing to enter at pax6.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Default promotion from pax6 to pax5

Hi all

How does the promotion work from pax6 to pax5? Are there different grades within these ranks?
Any criteria before you are considered?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
NYP confirmed. Email memo from DHR was sent this pm.
Should we be expecting the adjustment in the Feb payslip? Or only from Mar?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please, this is not reward. Is an adjustment of wages in view of market salary.

Pax6 people are drawing market rate salary, in fact most pax 6 people join poly with INCREMEBT instead of pay cut like most people do. Pax6 work harder? Of course, you are UNPROVEN in industry that was why you are placed in pax6. If you dont work hard, how can you claim a spot on pax5 or 4?

Its a free market, dont like? Go back to industry. There are many more waiting and queuing to enter at pax6.
Your statements are spot on.

Many cruisers on Pax 4 feels exactly like you wrote, that Pax 4 is a prize that someone can claim because they have worked hard in the past and are thus entitled to cruise now.

You also wrote that it's a free market and those who don't like it can go back to the industry. You are spot on for this one too. That's exactly why many of those who join the Poly leave after a few years. Their reasons always revolve around not being able to stand dead woods, that's the people who say exactly what you wrote!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

feel cheated by HR. i joined a poly in north last year from ITE. HR said that salary adjustments are taking place and whatever I was being offered at that time, it will be revised soon to a higher value. Put me in PAX6.
Now, with the salary adjustments, it is only upto 4%. Even if i get full 4%, it will still not match my salary at ITE.
My next hopes are - performance bonus and yearly increments.
How much performance bonus can one expect for average performance and how much for the yearly increment?
When do we get to know our appraisal grade? and is the bonus and increment credited in April Salary? Are any of them backdated to January?

Also, I will now have to work extra hard to get promotion to PAX5. Is there any criteria for it in a poly? I hear people saying that one needs to cross the bar. Does it mean that with every yearly increment, after certain years, i will be able to cross that bar value. After crossing that bar value and if i maintain certain appraisal grade then i will be considered for promotion? Is it correct? Or even to cross the bar value, one needs to have certain appraisal grade?

How about promotion increment? Is it also about 4-5% from PAX6 to PAX5? Can someone who actually got promoted from PAX6 to PAX5 share his/her story.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
feel cheated by HR. i joined a poly in north last year from ITE. HR said that salary adjustments are taking place and whatever I was being offered at that time, it will be revised soon to a higher value. Put me in PAX6.
Now, with the salary adjustments, it is only upto 4%. Even if i get full 4%, it will still not match my salary at ITE.
My next hopes are - performance bonus and yearly increments.
How much performance bonus can one expect for average performance and how much for the yearly increment?
When do we get to know our appraisal grade? and is the bonus and increment credited in April Salary? Are any of them backdated to January?

Also, I will now have to work extra hard to get promotion to PAX5. Is there any criteria for it in a poly? I hear people saying that one needs to cross the bar. Does it mean that with every yearly increment, after certain years, i will be able to cross that bar value. After crossing that bar value and if i maintain certain appraisal grade then i will be considered for promotion? Is it correct? Or even to cross the bar value, one needs to have certain appraisal grade?

How about promotion increment? Is it also about 4-5% from PAX6 to PAX5? Can someone who actually got promoted from PAX6 to PAX5 share his/her story.

you left ITE to join poly for a pay cut? is ITE really that bad? Come on, students are students, the same everywhere.

for your PB , if you just joined (say in Nov or Dec lastyear) sorry, you won't get them for your first year. You must have full year service. But you should be getting prorated increment in march. Where got backdate to Jan? increment is in Mar, ie only see it in April payslip.

Also, it is not necessary that if you hit the ceiling there is an auto promotion to next grade.; and vice versa.

meaning if you get good appraisal (meaning: suck up to bosses) then you can get promotion anytime. Conversely if your bosses don't back you, you can be at the ceiling for decades with no promotion.

I really interested to know why you join poly from ITE and take a pay cut. Poly workload is higher and expectation higher, not like ITE, everyday confirm 500pm pack up and get ready to go home. My guess is you can't stand the students??
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your statements are spot on.

Many cruisers on Pax 4 feels exactly like you wrote, that Pax 4 is a prize that someone can claim because they have worked hard in the past and are thus entitled to cruise now.

You also wrote that it's a free market and those who don't like it can go back to the industry. You are spot on for this one too. That's exactly why many of those who join the Poly leave after a few years. Their reasons always revolve around not being able to stand dead woods, that's the people who say exactly what you wrote!
Well, dont mistake that being pax4 and deadwood is a good thing. First, their PB sucks, second, when come to promotion they can forget about it. Altough the wage adjsutmebt is up to 10%, poor performer i bet wont get even 5%.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, dont mistake that being pax4 and deadwood is a good thing. First, their PB sucks, second, when come to promotion they can forget about it. Altough the wage adjsutmebt is up to 10%, poor performer i bet wont get even 5%.
I hope you're not a lecturer yourself cos your English is appalling.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I hope you're not a lecturer yourself cos your English is appalling.
The fact that so many so called lecturers having spent their time here discussing pay issues really concern me about the poly standards these days.

Should they spend more time focusing on how to engage their students better and how to value add to the school?

When the results shine, your grade will jump.