15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The volatility in Poly employment comes from having to play the politics with the lau chiaus who have been around a long time and need to maintain their "deadwood" life. All extremely beaurocratic.

If you can't get on, its not that easy to move from one Poly to another whereas you can move from one bank to another relatively easily or one manufacturing job to another. So, some end up unhappy for long periods of time.

Its not that you can't earn enough to retire on, its just that you will have a lot less than normal people with similar capability. The period in which many think about switching to Poly because of stress is in their prime earnings years. They may regret it later. MI is just typically 2-3 months for newer staff. Its the trade-off for an easier job.

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The volatility in Poly employment comes from having to play the politics with the lau chiaus who have been around a long time and need to maintain their "deadwood" life. All extremely beaurocratic.

If you can't get on, its not that easy to move from one Poly to another whereas you can move from one bank to another relatively easily or one manufacturing job to another. So, some end up unhappy for long periods of time.

Its not that you can't earn enough to retire on, its just that you will have a lot less than normal people with similar capability. The period in which many think about switching to Poly because of stress is in their prime earnings years. They may regret it later. MI is just typically 2-3 months for newer staff. Its the trade-off for an easier job.
Use the free time to start a business. Aim to stop working for others. But as with all things, it's easier said than done.

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Teacher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The ceiling for PAX4 is around 8k. I thought that is pretty decent even for someone in his 40s isn't it?

Coupled with bonus of 15 months, you are looking at 120,000 per annum. That puts the lecturer at 91.5 percentile of someone who's 45 years old according to MOM data.

So I am curious actually, why someone said earlier that a lecturer isn't going to have enough for retirement. I mean, 120,000 per annum isn't the highest salary in the world, but it isn't low either.
I am not a lecturer but just a secondary school teacher.If it is ok,let me offer my 2 cents worth.1st of all,a poly lecturer is deemed to have a higher social status than teachers in Singapore.Yes,as both myself and missus are both school teachers,I think the crucial thing is whether you find meaning in what you do.I do get discouraged frequently...my peers are earning 10 times what I earn and have higher prestige jobs.I dislike gatherings cos very often they ask what I do currently and the reply is "oh u r still a teacher....but it is a very 'noble' job".I think there is a lot of sarcasm in those words.It hurts further to see them in their mercedes,bmw,audis and their district 9 condos and houses.As teachers,I have learnt to lower my expectations in terms of material wants and social status.I am doing fine at the moment.I suppose making a difference in young lives is impt to me personally and I enjoy the interaction and teaching in the classroom.Can I afford to retire at 62?Maybe but maybe not.Nowadays young pple will only think of dollars and cents and career prestige when choosing their careers.Nothing wrong with that...but I am heartened by the fact that there is still a small grp of pple who choose teaching be it in schools or polys.I guess there is no right or wrong in decisions that we make but whether we can live with those decisions.Btw,there are pple out there who still think that teachers work only half day and are free the rest of the day.Perhaps if they have chance,do talk and understand the teaching profession a bit more before making sweeping statements like that.Cheers and have a great day!

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There is no point associating with people who measure others' worth by the salary they earn or the job they do. But I find it incredible that your peers are earning 10 times a teacher's salary. They would have to be earning a million bucks, assuming that you are not an entry-level teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think you are discerning to state that many staff will hit the top of scale in mid 40s. However, the salary scale is subject to review to tag it to prevailing market conditions. I am not sure when is the next review but there is such a clause (ie. subject to review).
How about administrative staff in a polytechnic? Is PAX 4 also the highest grade that most admin staff will reach?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no point associating with people who measure others' worth by the salary they earn or the job they do. But I find it incredible that your peers are earning 10 times a teacher's salary. They would have to be earning a million bucks, assuming that you are not an entry-level teacher.
10x is definitely exaggerating. Teachers can make 100k a year.
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Teacher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no point associating with people who measure others' worth by the salary they earn or the job they do. But I find it incredible that your peers are earning 10 times a teacher's salary. They would have to be earning a million bucks, assuming that you are not an entry-level teacher.
I have 8 years of teaching experience earning about $6k a month.Honestly speaking if not for the fact that my wife is also earning the same amount as me,I may struggle to keep up with the ever-increasing cost of living.I am already in my late thirties so my peers are very well established in their careers.Some of them are in the legal field (Duane Morris,a top legal firm in NY),running specialist clinics as doctors,one of them in the top of the civil service hierarchy and quite a few of them are successful business people.So,no I am not exaggerating at all cos I think you guys know the market rate of these successful pple.But I always tell myself not to compare cos there is always pple better than you.I am actually much happier and contented now that I have learnt to let go of certain things that are not so impt after all in life.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Teacher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
10x is definitely exaggerating. Teachers can make 100k a year.
Depending on years of service and seniority,a teacher in Singapore can earn about 100k per annum but it will include the bonuses as well.Only a school principal can earn in excess of 100k per annum without all the bonuses thrown in.Not sure whether u guys agree with me but in Singapore pple do judge your career achievement as the most impt critieria as to whether u r 'successful in life'.They don't bother about your character,family work life balance,cultivating wonderful friendships.All they see is your outward facade...big car means successful career,etc.I remembered a classic reply from a friend who is working in shanghai,"Huh,teachers can afford to drive car one meh?"When I look back at it,i smile and shrugged my shoulders but at that time I was really offended.But life goes on....
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

When we compare annual income, it's always with bonuses thrown in.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
I have 8 years of teaching experience earning about $6k a month.Honestly speaking if not for the fact that my wife is also earning the same amount as me,I may struggle to keep up with the ever-increasing cost of living.I am already in my late thirties so my peers are very well established in their careers.Some of them are in the legal field (Duane Morris,a top legal firm in NY),running specialist clinics as doctors,one of them in the top of the civil service hierarchy and quite a few of them are successful business people.So,no I am not exaggerating at all cos I think you guys know the market rate of these successful pple.But I always tell myself not to compare cos there is always pple better than you.I am actually much happier and contented now that I have learnt to let go of certain things that are not so impt after all in life.
6k x 2 and you are complaining. What about those who make below national average?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private Sector vs Public Sector androidguy Income and Jobs 35 12-05-2017 11:38 AM
Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector Liquid Income and Jobs 62 24-12-2016 05:14 PM
Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector Huston Income and Jobs 5 05-04-2012 05:19 PM
Advise on polytechnic courses jonathan920 Income and Jobs 3 09-07-2010 02:39 PM
Charity sector pay Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 21-06-2007 08:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,959 Replies, 1,200,079 Views
Freight Forwarding industry --...
0 Replies, 78 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
580 Replies, 284,704 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,505 Replies, 1,090,873 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 460,611 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 28,911 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,821 Replies, 622,795 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,224 Replies, 363,375 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,176 Replies, 3,916,059 Views
ExxonMobil...
3 Replies, 838 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,324 Replies, 285,301 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,236 Replies, 998,884 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 226,728 Views
Has anyone heard of KSB Singapore?
0 Replies, 130 Views
Micron fresh grad salary
2 Replies, 1,461 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
5 Replies, 530 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 128,849 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 71,753 Views
Signed contract, but pending...
0 Replies, 278 Views
how to handle one offer and...
2 Replies, 415 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 323,070 Views
Ministry of Transport Queries
2 Replies, 275 Views
Capitaland Graduate Development...
8 Replies, 11,114 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
2 Replies, 594 Views
Direct Contract vs External...
3 Replies, 317 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,888 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,157 Replies, 825,313 Views
N/O Level Holder ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 12,673 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
736 Replies, 472,600 Views
Starting business as civil service
4 Replies, 676 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2