How much are you earning per annum? - Page 628 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6271 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whether COE price will drop or not next year or the year after next is really dependent on the economy.

However the following are facts that we faced:

1. What we know is that many cars will reach their 10 years next year and the year after that. The thing is we don't know is whether LTA will recycle all the COEs at the same time or spread out them over a longer period. Meaning that they might inject only a controlled number of COEs each time, so end up, no bumper COE supply.

2. LTA has decreased the car population growth by 0.5% for 2014. For 2015, they are further reducing the growth to 0.25%.

3. Many people who are scrapping their cars will still be booking new or getting another used car. A small survey among my friends, colleagues and neighbors confirmed this. Some of my neighbors are already retired and they still say they need a car!

4. There is indeed a growing number of families owning 2 cars or more, simply because the parents are working longer and children entering the workforce. Last time, people will retire even before their children enter the workforce, now it seems common among families to have children and parents working.

Below is an extract from LTA website on their stance regarding the car population in Singapore.

"With 12 per cent of Singapore’s total land area already taken up by roads, there is limited scope for any further expansion of the road network. Priority for road growth will be given to serve new development areas and to facilitate bus movements to bring about a better public transport experience. The latter supports ongoing efforts to improve the quality and connectivity of our public transport network, which is set to undergo significant expansion over the next few years. Therefore, it is not tenable to keep to the same rates of vehicle population growth as before. Already, the number of vehicles on our roads is drawing near to one million.
In view of this, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will lower the vehicle growth rate. From February 2015 to January 2018, the annual vehicle growth rate will be lowered from the current 0.5% to 0.25%. This will be reviewed again in 2017."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LTA is going to announce increase in COE qoutas by 2-3x soon in Jan 2015 - COE prices will drop by 5k
Come June, LTA will announce more COEs - further drop in COE prices by 5k
Come JUly, US Fed announce 25bp rate hike which cause meltdown in Singapore stock market - further drop in coe price by 5k
Come Sep, Singapore GDP slow to 1%, further drop in coe price by 5k

In Sep 2015, I will buy a new Honda city for 70k

Good luck everyone

Reply With Quote
  #6272 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Our car population is too high given our small island. We lose billions of dollars from lower productivity and loss businesses due to road congestion. I suggest we need to taper our car population growth and move more people to MRT and buses. We are going to open many new MRT lines to allow more people to take the MRT. Our car population is simply too high. Here is what it should be for car population growth:

2015 +0.25%
2017 0%
2018 -0.25%
2019 -0.5%
2020 -1%
2021 -3%
2022 -2%
2023 -3%
2024 -5%

Our car population must drop by at least 20% over the next 10 years.

Reply With Quote
  #6273 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1. More than 100k cars to be scrapped in 2015. Even LTA release 3/4 of these, it is still 3-4 times more than 2014.
2. 0.25% is still a +ve growth in car population. This growth rate is higher than our population growth rate.
3. Many people are giving up cars as their kids have grown up and dont need cars to ferry them around
4. Youngsters going to workforce will think twice to pay for 50k downpayment and use 1/3 of their monthly salary to service their car loan -esp now with the TDSR in place


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Whether COE price will drop or not next year or the year after next is really dependent on the economy.

However the following are facts that we faced:

1. What we know is that many cars will reach their 10 years next year and the year after that. The thing is we don't know is whether LTA will recycle all the COEs at the same time or spread out them over a longer period. Meaning that they might inject only a controlled number of COEs each time, so end up, no bumper COE supply.

2. LTA has decreased the car population growth by 0.5% for 2014. For 2015, they are further reducing the growth to 0.25%.

3. Many people who are scrapping their cars will still be booking new or getting another used car. A small survey among my friends, colleagues and neighbors confirmed this. Some of my neighbors are already retired and they still say they need a car!

4. There is indeed a growing number of families owning 2 cars or more, simply because the parents are working longer and children entering the workforce. Last time, people will retire even before their children enter the workforce, now it seems common among families to have children and parents working.

Below is an extract from LTA website on their stance regarding the car population in Singapore.

"With 12 per cent of Singapore’s total land area already taken up by roads, there is limited scope for any further expansion of the road network. Priority for road growth will be given to serve new development areas and to facilitate bus movements to bring about a better public transport experience. The latter supports ongoing efforts to improve the quality and connectivity of our public transport network, which is set to undergo significant expansion over the next few years. Therefore, it is not tenable to keep to the same rates of vehicle population growth as before. Already, the number of vehicles on our roads is drawing near to one million.
In view of this, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will lower the vehicle growth rate. From February 2015 to January 2018, the annual vehicle growth rate will be lowered from the current 0.5% to 0.25%. This will be reviewed again in 2017."

Reply With Quote
  #6274 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Can't agree that as children grow up, the family doesn't need the car.

This is more what I know.

1. Kids before primary 1: bring them to kindergarten/child care. In fact, most families will choose one near their homes, so they don't need the car for this. The car is more for weekends visits to grandparents. Depending on how many kids, this phase can last a good 10 years.

2. Kids in primary school. Got school bus, so actually no need to ferry them to school. Again car only needed for family outing during weekends

3. Kids in secondary schools. No more school bus. Some more kids now got CCA that can end quite late. Most parents would send / pick up their children from these activities. Now tuition classes become more urgent

4. Kids in JC / poly. They are bigger now, and they want to go out with friends, so actually don't need car, but again for weekend outings, it is definitely more convenient and comfortable to have family car. In fact, at this stage we actually purchase a weekend MPV in addition to my compact saloon car. Need the MPV now because grandparents gave up their cars and need to fetch them for outings too.

5. Kids in uni / working. They don't need the car, but you want it because you getting old and less mobile to fight with crowd when going to and coming back from work. Main thing is once you are used to owning and driving a car, it is damned hard to give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. More than 100k cars to be scrapped in 2015. Even LTA release 3/4 of these, it is still 3-4 times more than 2014.
2. 0.25% is still a +ve growth in car population. This growth rate is higher than our population growth rate.
3. Many people are giving up cars as their kids have grown up and dont need cars to ferry them around
4. Youngsters going to workforce will think twice to pay for 50k downpayment and use 1/3 of their monthly salary to service their car loan -esp now with the TDSR in place
Reply With Quote
  #6275 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2014, 05:05 PM
adviseandadvices
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default adviseandadvices.blogspot.sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. More than 100k cars to be scrapped in 2015. Even LTA release 3/4 of these, it is still 3-4 times more than 2014.
2. 0.25% is still a +ve growth in car population. This growth rate is higher than our population growth rate.
3. Many people are giving up cars as their kids have grown up and dont need cars to ferry them around
4. Youngsters going to workforce will think twice to pay for 50k downpayment and use 1/3 of their monthly salary to service their car loan -esp now with the TDSR in place
Indeed. Gov should reduce the car population.

Private vehicles should be for the middle high income group only. It has always been the case until the introduction on OPC vehicle. Suddenly, everyone owns or wants to own a car despite the low income.

Cars are luxury items, not a necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #6276 (permalink)  
Old 24-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

COE will drop to below $40k as soon as the quota hits 2,000 per bidding group, which will happen soon. It will happen dont need to argue over here..
Reply With Quote

  #6277 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm a typical average middle class worker working in a small company and earning $4k pm. My wife is also working in a similar type company and she is earning $5k pm. We bought our flat at $200k only. We have two kids in primary school. We are now in our late forties. One day we will upgrade our lives. We aspire to live in an EC.
Reply With Quote
  #6278 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Shell & Google chosen as top employer in Singapore: channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporeans-would-like/1547104.html

Sometimes I really wonder if Singaporeans are just dumb, too narrow minded or only know how to go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.

Google & Shell are average MNCs - so so in terms of pay, career prospect and reputation. But honestly they cannot even come close to the top international banks, I think most people don't even have slightest idea of how things work and just go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.
Reply With Quote
  #6279 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shell & Google chosen as top employer in Singapore: channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporeans-would-like/1547104.html

Sometimes I really wonder if Singaporeans are just dumb, too narrow minded or only know how to go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.

Google & Shell are average MNCs - so so in terms of pay, career prospect and reputation. But honestly they cannot even come close to the top international banks, I think most people don't even have slightest idea of how things work and just go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.
Since it is okay to talk nonsense, I would like to inform everyone that I like oranges more than apples. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6280 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shell & Google chosen as top employer in Singapore: channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporeans-would-like/1547104.html

Sometimes I really wonder if Singaporeans are just dumb, too narrow minded or only know how to go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.

Google & Shell are average MNCs - so so in terms of pay, career prospect and reputation. But honestly they cannot even come close to the top international banks, I think most people don't even have slightest idea of how things work and just go for normal brands they see in their everyday life.
Shell pay and reputation so so? Boy boy what have you been smoking lately? Even their blue collars make more than most professionals / managers in Singapore.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 25 23-04-2021 10:40 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,778 Replies, 4,638,208 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,026 Replies, 526,355 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,708 Replies, 4,363,531 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,644 Replies, 7,366,903 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
484 Replies, 275,824 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,086 Replies, 2,533,030 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,668 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 7,363 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 111,648 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,016 Replies, 2,512,031 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,787 Replies, 1,419,245 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
737 Replies, 202,190 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,718 Replies, 1,293,846 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 26,402 Views
Process Engineer Salary
3 Replies, 5,171 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,914 Replies, 1,759,264 Views
Maybe it's rosy after all
1 Replies, 1,572 Views
Best-paying jobs in the US
1 Replies, 2,794 Views
Bad for dragon babies
1 Replies, 2,231 Views
NTU graduates starting pay
1 Replies, 5,441 Views
IT salary benchmark
1 Replies, 2,461 Views
Income tax child relief
1 Replies, 2,044 Views
Best paying jobs: Executive
2 Replies, 3,324 Views
Secret of Singapore's success
1 Replies, 1,843 Views
Get out of engineering
1 Replies, 2,535 Views
Top paying industry
1 Replies, 3,338 Views
Median income by age group
1 Replies, 8,099 Views
IT Salary Benchmarks
2 Replies, 1,605 Views
Salary Increment to be 5.2%
1 Replies, 3,679 Views
Millionaire Hawkers
3 Replies, 2,475 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2