Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 21-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With equity markets all selling off for past few days, people are getting nervous if it will turn into a meltdown in the economy. Coe sure is heading downhill next few months
Yes very true.... coe prices going south because
- interest rates shooting up in Jul 2015
- zero population growth ( trains and buses are not so crowded these days)
- 50% downpayment + max 5 year tenor
- TSDR to choke further car debt
- coming 80k COE in 2015, an x4 increase from 2014
- some families are not buying new cars after coe expired as kids have grown up (i.e. no more kids ferrying to tuitions and piano classes)
- SG economy will not do well in 2015 as gov keeps squeezing the SME with higher manpower costs

Just wait, and don't be kancheong spider
everything is a cycle, like four seasons.. the winter is coming soon for COE prices

Christopher Tan | The Straits Times | Saturday, Dec 20, 2014
Certificate of entitlement (COE) prices ended mostly lower in the latest tender yesterday as economic jitters arising from diving oil prices spread.
COE prices for cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp slid by 1.8 per cent to close at $65,889. COE prices for cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp dipped by 0.5 per cent to end at $74,000.
Prices of the Open COE, which can be used for any vehicle type but ends up mainly for bigger cars, posted an even bigger contraction, at $73,990, or 3.8 per cent lower than two weeks ago.
Commercial vehicle COE prices took the biggest tumble in the last tender exercise of the year, finishing 13.2 per cent lower at a three-month low of $52,100.
Motorcycle COE premiums were the only exception, ending 2.4 per cent higher at $4,312.
Motor industry players said the latest results reflected the poorer economic outlook in the year ahead as oil prices continued to slide.
In such a scenario, it is common for consumers to curtail big-ticket purchases, especially if they are discretionary items.
Mr Steve Poh, group managing director of Ssangyong and Koenigsegg agent Motorway, said the latest COE results came on the back of industry-wide price reductions. With the cuts, dealers have thinner margins to bid for COEs.
"It's the bleak economic outlook. A lot of people have been burnt in the stock market, so they're holding back on car purchases."
Mr Michael Wong, general manager of Isuzu agent Triangle Auto, said the long construction boom seems to be losing steam.
"Everybody is expecting things to slow down dramatically."
- See more at: ://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/coe-prices-slide-amid-poorer-economic-outlook#sthash.UYQBcEei.dpuf

Old 21-12-2014, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Looks like your friends never bid for recent COEs which are now dropping like a stone
Maybe your friends are worried about the recent equities meltdown, and have margin calls?

Quote:
Indeed, many people make lots of money from stocks and properties over the past 10 years. So buying a $150k new car is small change compared to their millions in wealth. I have friends who save $300k per year, so his one year savings alone can buy two new cars. Singaporeans are getting richer everyday.

Old 21-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes very true.... coe prices going south because
- interest rates shooting up in Jul 2015
- zero population growth ( trains and buses are not so crowded these days)
- 50% downpayment + max 5 year tenor
- TSDR to choke further car debt
- coming 80k COE in 2015, an x4 increase from 2014
- some families are not buying new cars after coe expired as kids have grown up (i.e. no more kids ferrying to tuitions and piano classes)
- SG economy will not do well in 2015 as gov keeps squeezing the SME with higher manpower costs

Just wait, and don't be kancheong spider
everything is a cycle, like four seasons.. the winter is coming soon for COE prices

Christopher Tan | The Straits Times | Saturday, Dec 20, 2014
Certificate of entitlement (COE) prices ended mostly lower in the latest tender yesterday as economic jitters arising from diving oil prices spread.
COE prices for cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp slid by 1.8 per cent to close at $65,889. COE prices for cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp dipped by 0.5 per cent to end at $74,000.
Prices of the Open COE, which can be used for any vehicle type but ends up mainly for bigger cars, posted an even bigger contraction, at $73,990, or 3.8 per cent lower than two weeks ago.
Commercial vehicle COE prices took the biggest tumble in the last tender exercise of the year, finishing 13.2 per cent lower at a three-month low of $52,100.
Motorcycle COE premiums were the only exception, ending 2.4 per cent higher at $4,312.
Motor industry players said the latest results reflected the poorer economic outlook in the year ahead as oil prices continued to slide.
In such a scenario, it is common for consumers to curtail big-ticket purchases, especially if they are discretionary items.
Mr Steve Poh, group managing director of Ssangyong and Koenigsegg agent Motorway, said the latest COE results came on the back of industry-wide price reductions. With the cuts, dealers have thinner margins to bid for COEs.
"It's the bleak economic outlook. A lot of people have been burnt in the stock market, so they're holding back on car purchases."
Mr Michael Wong, general manager of Isuzu agent Triangle Auto, said the long construction boom seems to be losing steam.
"Everybody is expecting things to slow down dramatically."
- See more at: ://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/coe-prices-slide-amid-poorer-economic-outlook#sthash.UYQBcEei.dpuf
See, I told u that COE will drop like a rock to $30k, just that the car saleman refuses to acknowledge it... Shall let the car salesman see the COE plunge so he will keep quiet and stop dreaming that it will continue to rise

Old 21-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

We need to reduce the number of cars significantly because

1. We have too many cars on the road. During peak hours, our cars crawl and this waste a lot of time esp for businesses and businessmen. Lost time means lower productivity and lost income for businesses.

2. Too many cars means our air will be polluted. With lesser car, our air pollution will reduce and this makes us happier and healthier.

3. With so many MRT lines opening, we must encourage people to take the MRT or else the MRT will be underutilized.

So, we should reduce the number of cars on the road and cut the number of COEs so that the car population will reduce by 20% over the next 10 years.
Old 21-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. We have too many cars on the road. During peak hours, our cars crawl and this waste a lot of time esp for businesses and businessmen. Lost time means lower productivity and lost income for businesses.

2. Too many cars means our air will be polluted. With lesser car, our air pollution will reduce and this makes us happier and healthier.

3. With so many MRT lines opening, we must encourage people to take the MRT or else the MRT will be underutilized.

So, we should reduce the number of cars on the road and cut the number of COEs so that the car population will reduce by 20% over the next 10 years.
I dont think government will reduce it before the next election as it is political suicide, which means COE supply will increase and expected to drop.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

I agree with you. Better for me to change my cars now. I have 3 cars to change to new ones, one for myself, one for my wife to send my kids to school and tuition and one for my retired dad who needs the car for him to do marketing. Cars are basic necessities for my family.

Quote:

Old 21-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Hurry, change your car now. Don't wait till last minute. Get it before CNY.

s://sg.news.yahoo.com/coe-prices-might-spike-cny-070434581.html
Old 21-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Luckily my car only expire 2016 whereby I can wait for COE to drop to $30k.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks for the article. It confirms my thoughts that COE prices will move higher. Will go to the Singapore Motor Show to buy. Will use my cash savings over the last two years to pay in cash.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the article. It confirms my thoughts that COE prices will move higher. Will go to the Singapore Motor Show to buy. Will use my cash savings over the last two years to pay in cash.
Think you better keep your cash for the economic downturn in case anything worse happen..