Lawyer Salary - Page 1963 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 21-06-2023, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Can anybody share how working in the corporate side of Quahe Woo and Palmer is like?

Old 21-06-2023, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
agree that the restructuring was probably to increase barriers of entry, and we do have quite a protectionist law society/community, but hey don't **** on people from those unis man
agreed. this whole ****ting on other law schs is quite tiresome. frankly practising law isn't a job that requires great academic ability, albeit at the high end the brightest are really bright. the average lawyer does not require some outstanding legal acumen, merely paper pushing or project management skills.

England & Wales has the right system IMO. Non-law grads can take the GDL conversion course to become solicitors. Heck, apprentices meaning kids who don't even go to uni, can take solicitor apprenticeships to qualify nowadays. Even Magic Circles are running solicitor apprenticeships.

You don't need to have attended some rarefied law school to become a lawyer. Let's stop with this self-aggrandizing illusion tt you need to be super bright or smart to be a lawyer.

SG should follow England's progressive example of allowing A Level grads to qualify as advocates & solicitors thru apprenticeships too.

Old 21-06-2023, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
agreed. this whole ****ting on other law schs is quite tiresome. frankly practising law isn't a job that requires great academic ability, albeit at the high end the brightest are really bright. the average lawyer does not require some outstanding legal acumen, merely paper pushing or project management skills.

England & Wales has the right system IMO. Non-law grads can take the GDL conversion course to become solicitors. Heck, apprentices meaning kids who don't even go to uni, can take solicitor apprenticeships to qualify nowadays. Even Magic Circles are running solicitor apprenticeships.

You don't need to have attended some rarefied law school to become a lawyer. Let's stop with this self-aggrandizing illusion tt you need to be super bright or smart to be a lawyer.

SG should follow England's progressive example of allowing A Level grads to qualify as advocates & solicitors thru apprenticeships too.
Agree with you, but I thought that’s why we created a third local law school for those looking to serve in family / community law?

Old 22-06-2023, 02:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Agreed, as a case example, the managing partner and top-ranked lawyer at one of the international
law firms in Marina One is from the University of Hull?? and
he's a Singaporean

anyone of these forum members going to say he's **** because he's from a "low-ranked uni"?

no one gives a ****, only that you do your job well and bring in money
Old 22-06-2023, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agreed, as a case example, the managing partner and top-ranked lawyer at one of the international
law firms in Marina One is from the University of Hull?? and
he's a Singaporean

anyone of these forum members going to say he's **** because he's from a "low-ranked uni"?

no one gives a ****, only that you do your job well and bring in money
There’s no issue with that, we have been through this - lower ranking unis can produce excellent, legendary lawyers. But at the recruitment stage, in choosing a trainee or a first year associate, surely the HR would choose the candidate with better results from a better University. So if one is culled at the application stage, then that’s it.
Old 22-06-2023, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There’s no issue with that, we have been through this - lower ranking unis can produce excellent, legendary lawyers. But at the recruitment stage, in choosing a trainee or a first year associate, surely the HR would choose the candidate with better results from a better University. So if one is culled at the application stage, then that’s it.
not true
10char

Old 22-06-2023, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Default Jumping ship

Hi all

Currently a 3PQE assoc (2020 called) in a small practice (non chinatown) doing corp and liti matters (very general, chapalang stuff, not high street, not that high value). I'd say I've become a general practitioner. Not SA, but basically given some SA responsibilities.

Salary slightly below 7k which I know is below average, below market. Juniors aren't paid well. Bonus is paltry. However, the push pull factors are equally balanced.

I have spent >1 year with current firm and am feeling jaded career development wise. Contentious and non contentious Workflow is inconsistent and I feel that I am taking on numerous hats. Even doing the seccie stuff as well.

However, management and I have started to have rifts of late. Support staff don't really give support and I find myself getting overrun by them.

I am planning of jumping ship later this year or early next before PC renewal. What salary should I start asking for? Am looking to do Corp exclusively.

As for prospects, which would be better Corp practices to jump to? I have never been in large firms before. Would it be better to leave before I make SA at current firm. I am expecting SA probably next year.
Old 23-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all

Currently a 3PQE assoc (2020 called) in a small practice (non chinatown) doing corp and liti matters (very general, chapalang stuff, not high street, not that high value). I'd say I've become a general practitioner. Not SA, but basically given some SA responsibilities.

Salary slightly below 7k which I know is below average, below market. Juniors aren't paid well. Bonus is paltry. However, the push pull factors are equally balanced.

I have spent >1 year with current firm and am feeling jaded career development wise. Contentious and non contentious Workflow is inconsistent and I feel that I am taking on numerous hats. Even doing the seccie stuff as well.

However, management and I have started to have rifts of late. Support staff don't really give support and I find myself getting overrun by them.

I am planning of jumping ship later this year or early next before PC renewal. What salary should I start asking for? Am looking to do Corp exclusively.

As for prospects, which would be better Corp practices to jump to? I have never been in large firms before. Would it be better to leave before I make SA at current firm. I am expecting SA probably next year.
Maybe try TSMP before jumping to the B4? The former does cutting edge wall street work
Old 23-06-2023, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Maybe try TSMP before jumping to the B4? The former does cutting edge wall street work
are boutique corp firms hiring?
Old 23-06-2023, 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all

Your situation seems pretty tough. Any (good) reason why you stayed for so long?