Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 339 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3381 (permalink)  
Old 16-07-2023, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm also at a similar position.
40 years old. Quitting my new job after joining for 6 months by the end of this month due to mental stress.
I'm married with no kids. Wife earns enough to spend herself
We live in HDB with existing loan of $240k and no car. We don't spend alot other occassional holidays and food.
I have $170k cash savings and a further $20k in investments
Taking a year or two off but am worried about finding a new job.
Worse comes to worse will resort self employed jobs like property agent or financial consultant
Your backup plan is flawed. Property agent is an extremely difficult line to stay in. Roughly 80% of the sales/deals are done by 20% of the agents. Saw the data a few years back. Property agents easily spent $8000 on ads every month to chase down leads and deals. Financial consultant needs a lot of networking and legwork. This is not a line you jump in as a "retirement job".

170K in Cash? Er...., no hard feelings but I don't think you are suitable as a financial consultant.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3382 (permalink)  
Old 17-07-2023, 10:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Staying in my current job is causing me mental and physical health issues. Already my blood pressure is 150/95, chest tightness at times, anxiety issues and sleepless night. Go on for a few more months i scared I'll die of heart attack. I don't think its worth dying for the company even though it pays ok.
According to what you had written. words like "worried" , "scared" are quite negative words. Frankly, your mindset needs to change to positive first. I had also gone through a national crisis and concurrently, I was also the sole care giver at home for a period of 5 years. I did not have personal time to talk about. During the national crisis, I still needed to work like mad "no day no night" for almost a year when I was already age 48. Theoretically no weekends and public holidays for me. I also had chest tightness then.

You have to learn how to handle stressful situations and be positive always. I believe you can choose to take long leave or discuss with your HR/bosses to take sabbatical leave before deciding to resign as you do not have confidence to find another job in the future. Take the time to recharge and change the ways how you work and your mindset. My view is no positive mindset you will not go far.

Reply With Quote
  #3383 (permalink)  
Old 18-07-2023, 12:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
According to what you had written. words like "worried" , "scared" are quite negative words. Frankly, your mindset needs to change to positive first. I had also gone through a national crisis and concurrently, I was also the sole care giver at home for a period of 5 years. I did not have personal time to talk about. During the national crisis, I still needed to work like mad "no day no night" for almost a year when I was already age 48. Theoretically no weekends and public holidays for me. I also had chest tightness then.

You have to learn how to handle stressful situations and be positive always. I believe you can choose to take long leave or discuss with your HR/bosses to take sabbatical leave before deciding to resign as you do not have confidence to find another job in the future. Take the time to recharge and change the ways how you work and your mindset. My view is no positive mindset you will not go far.
Thank you for the advice
Yes, this break will enable me to recharge and regain my confidence and positivity
That, i am sure. You are right. Having the right mindset is paramount foundation to sucess.

Reply With Quote
  #3384 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2023, 12:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm also at a similar position.
40 years old. Quitting my new job after joining for 6 months by the end of this month due to mental stress.
I'm married with no kids. Wife earns enough to spend herself
We live in HDB with existing loan of $240k and no car. We don't spend alot other occassional holidays and food.
I have $170k cash savings and a further $20k in investments
Taking a year or two off but am worried about finding a new job.
Worse comes to worse will resort self employed jobs like property agent or financial consultant
Get yourself a legit normal job that pays you monthly salary. 'Self employed' jobs are not for everyone. You think being property agent/ financial consultation will make you earn big bucks ? The reality will give you cardiac arrest fast.
Reply With Quote
  #3385 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Get yourself a legit normal job that pays you monthly salary. 'Self employed' jobs are not for everyone. You think being property agent/ financial consultation will make you earn big bucks ? The reality will give you cardiac arrest fast.
Can you share your experience?
Reply With Quote
  #3386 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2023, 09:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can you share your experience?

It is like a person start own business to be 'self employed' only to close the shop after 6 mths. From your post, yes, I agree with another poster. With cash $170k and you said you want to be Financial Consultant. Sorry, the way you handle your own financial shows that you are both naive and think too highly of your capability.
Reply With Quote

  #3387 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2023, 02:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is like a person start own business to be 'self employed' only to close the shop after 6 mths. From your post, yes, I agree with another poster. With cash $170k and you said you want to be Financial Consultant. Sorry, the way you handle your own financial shows that you are both naive and think too highly of your capability.
I'm not OP but what's wrong with holding cash? Esp when he/she is jobless?
Reply With Quote
  #3388 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not OP but what's wrong with holding cash? Esp when he/she is jobless?
Having cash as an asset is not a problem. However, having too much cash as an asset potentially is.

Currently, given the high interest rate environment, there are a lot more safe assets that a person can invest in.

Cash is good if you are putting in certain bank accounts like UOB ONE or OCBC 360 which offer relatively high interest provided you meet their criteria. However, there are also higher yielding instruments like T-Bills and money market funds/short-term bonds (even those short-term insurance products) which may give a higher return.

There are also equities, REITs, and other riskier assets which may perform better once the interest rate environment normalises which is just a matter of time.

So, if in current environment, one is putting most of his/her assets in cash (especially if it is all in one bank which SDIC only covers up to 75k per bank), then he/she may not be particularly interested in his/her own personal finance which makes it even harder to be interested in others' financial situation.
Reply With Quote
  #3389 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2023, 10:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So ... should he focus on upgrading his skillsets? how should he help himself?
Reply With Quote
  #3390 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2023, 11:00 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 3
Cherie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So ... should he focus on upgrading his skillsets? how should he help himself?
from my experience, upskilling definitely the way to go. i took up a couple of courses in my spare time to learn new skills then after i got some additional certifications, i got more interview calls, so maybe can try that. i would recommend FirstCom academy, got alot of courses that quite relevant today.

if any of you guys are interested,
https://www.fca.edu.sg

hope it helps!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 63 06-10-2021 07:32 PM
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 48 01-07-2020 03:43 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,397 Replies, 1,342,982 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,072 Replies, 2,246,090 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,693 Replies, 4,859,824 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,258 Replies, 6,391,658 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,648 Replies, 1,495,438 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,975 Replies, 2,097,381 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,751 Replies, 1,355,929 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,203 Replies, 3,330,091 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 741,484 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,690 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 387,178 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 258,176 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,263 Replies, 699,765 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,411 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 73,294 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,292 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 711,937 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,258 Replies, 12,296,895 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 484,352 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
635 Replies, 321,890 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 174 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,483 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,759 Replies, 1,013,533 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,194,906 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,475,235 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 425,291 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 445,902 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 97,609 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,077 Replies, 3,677,794 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,781 Replies, 4,580,046 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2