Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 30-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Detective Couch Potato

Smile Just guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 43 years old. I was let go (speculated to be cost-cutting measure) from my ex company and lucky, I went for an interview (Company A) and managed to get a verbal offer. I was very happy. But I continued to send my resume for other interviews as there was no concrete signing of letter of appt from the company A that verbally hired me. I was happy to get another interview (Company B). I was very confident about the result of the interview and awaiting good news. Meanwhile, the HR from Company A called me to give them 2 References which I did. Then few days later, the HR called me again to ask me to send them copies of my Educational certs. I informed the HR that as I did not scan my edu cert into the computer so I can only screenshot my edu cert and send them which I also already did. So fast forward, I did not hear from them for one week already.

As for Company B, I went to their interview on 23 April and only got a call from the HR manager on 26 April to tell me that I was hired. I was so happy. And she asked me whether I want to sign the Letter of Offer on Monday 6 May (the day I should be starting work) or on Tuesday 30 April, which is today. I informed her that I wanted to sign the Letter of Offer today. And she agreed. Fast forward, I waited and waited, thinking perhaps she will call me (which she said she would give me a call again) on Monday or so, but no call. Then today, I waited and waited, perhaps she will call and ask me to go down to sign the letter of offer. To my rude surprise, I got an email from her saying that the Management has decided to withhold the hiring of the position and regret to inform me that they are not able to offer me the position. OMG ! What the hell !! Are they so fickle-minded ?? And the HR manager even got the cheek say she will keep my resume in case the management change their mind. WHAT !!!??

Nonetheless, I did not even have the mood to reply her anyway. I just feel so depressed.

Are these 2 companies playing prank on me ?? How can that be ? They are not even related !
Are you sure your references are good?

As in, assuming you got no dirt on you, are those references trustworthy? Some people may not actually give a good referal because they may not really like you behind your back or if you did not tell them beforehand that you are giving their contact numbers for reference.

Also, why can't you scan your certs in? You have the physical certs, right? So, it should just be a matter of getting a scanner or going to a library/shop to scan in. You only need to do that once and you never eed to do it again in your lifetime unless you delete the scanned document from your computer.

By screenshot, I assume you took a photo of the cert? Not a big issue but it's like those people who use selfie photos on the resume because they don't want to take a passport photo. Not a big issue imo but to some, it's unprofessional.

Also, do you have any dirt on you? Just asking because it's a bit weird for 2 companies that like you enough to give interviews and verbal confirmation to suddenly change their tune. In other words, (not saying you have them but) do you have a black record (eg. when to jail, bankruptcy, etc), lied about past employment history (eg. fired but say is left on own accord or other reasons) or have fake documents (eg. fake education certs or work certs).

No offense to you in any way but just brainstorming so you can try to figure out where you might have fallen short. In any case, no companies have time and money to play pranks on a random applicant by spending wages/time on fake interviews, emails or background checks for fun. Some may do a few interviews for quota but they usually end with "thanks for your time. please wait for our call/mail if you are selected." instead of a verbal confirmation.

Of course, we also can't rule out that you are just seriously unlucky and there happens to be a hiring freeze for company B or something. I think company A is not a loss yet and you can always contact them to see if they got your certs. The email could be buried or lost.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Couch Potato View Post
Are you sure your references are good?

As in, assuming you got no dirt on you, are those references trustworthy? Some people may not actually give a good referal because they may not really like you behind your back or if you did not tell them beforehand that you are giving their contact numbers for reference.

Also, why can't you scan your certs in? You have the physical certs, right? So, it should just be a matter of getting a scanner or going to a library/shop to scan in. You only need to do that once and you never eed to do it again in your lifetime unless you delete the scanned document from your computer.

By screenshot, I assume you took a photo of the cert? Not a big issue but it's like those people who use selfie photos on the resume because they don't want to take a passport photo. Not a big issue imo but to some, it's unprofessional.

Also, do you have any dirt on you? Just asking because it's a bit weird for 2 companies that like you enough to give interviews and verbal confirmation to suddenly change their tune. In other words, (not saying you have them but) do you have a black record (eg. when to jail, bankruptcy, etc), lied about past employment history (eg. fired but say is left on own accord or other reasons) or have fake documents (eg. fake education certs or work certs).

No offense to you in any way but just brainstorming so you can try to figure out where you might have fallen short. In any case, no companies have time and money to play pranks on a random applicant by spending wages/time on fake interviews, emails or background checks for fun. Some may do a few interviews for quota but they usually end with "thanks for your time. please wait for our call/mail if you are selected." instead of a verbal confirmation.

Of course, we also can't rule out that you are just seriously unlucky and there happens to be a hiring freeze for company B or something. I think company A is not a loss yet and you can always contact them to see if they got your certs. The email could be buried or lost.
I am the original poster. Yes, I feel very very offended by your post. Those things that you 'just guessing' about me having dirt is just plain unfair to me. The first question you asked whether I am sure the references are good is really biased.

I have been through interviews and can always be sure whether the outcome is favourable or not. Usually companies will tell me they will inform me after one week to which I am sure the chance of getting hired is low and that I will move on without waiting for them. But this time round, it is the first time I am experiencing.

You did not experience this because you are younger than me, am I right?

If that is so, I will stop short here.

Age discrimination is real.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Default FT does it again, smears innocent Singapore's name through the mud internationally

Malaysian doctor investigated in Australia for posting sexist and racist remarks in Singapore forum. When will our gahmen/MOM learn to prioritize sinkies first for sinkies jobs? So many FTs with fake qualifications given jobs over sinkies with real qualifications in sinkapore who were then discovered to be fakers overseas.

.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/singaporean-women-materialistic-pampered-self-entitled-malaysian-doctor-in-trouble-over

Old 01-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Apply to SLA Titles Registry. They are in need of people now! Pays well! Good welfare! I heard every week got either 1 Apple or Orange to take from pantry.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Malaysian doctor investigated in Australia for posting sexist and racist remarks in Singapore forum. When will our gahmen/MOM learn to prioritize sinkies first for sinkies jobs? So many FTs with fake qualifications given jobs over sinkies with real qualifications in sinkapore who were then discovered to be fakers overseas.

.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/singaporean-women-materialistic-pampered-self-entitled-malaysian-doctor-in-trouble-over
dude his a malaysian working in australia, relax
Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am the original poster. Yes, I feel very very offended by your post. Those things that you 'just guessing' about me having dirt is just plain unfair to me. The first question you asked whether I am sure the references are good is really biased.

I have been through interviews and can always be sure whether the outcome is favourable or not. Usually companies will tell me they will inform me after one week to which I am sure the chance of getting hired is low and that I will move on without waiting for them. But this time round, it is the first time I am experiencing.

I think you are being sensitive here. That guy trying to help by assessing your situation and you are accusing him of age discrimination.

The fact that you don't bother to scan and just took a picture to the HR shows your attitude already. I bet your references could be the one who states the truth as to how you are as a person

Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Smile

It is absolutely normal for a company to offer you a position and change their minds
thereafter. Often times have nothing to do with references because strategies can change over night and line managers may change their minds on hiring for the position. I know this because I am a HR professional and this has happen to me several times when i was looking for a job personally.

I think lets not quick to make assumptions and lets be kind to one another and understand that the job hunting is a very stressful and often time lonely process. A person offered a position and then had that position removed from them can lead to a variety of emotions.

To the original poster please don't give up and be disheartened. I hope you get a job soon and all the best!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think you are being sensitive here. That guy trying to help by assessing your situation and you are accusing him of age discrimination.

The fact that you don't bother to scan and just took a picture to the HR shows your attitude already. I bet your references could be the one who states the truth as to how you are as a person
No wonder both the companies don't wanna hire him lol...
Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

How many rounds of interviews have you went through?

I think if age discrimination is real, they would not even have shortlisted you lei...

I mean, why would they waste time to arrange everything to interview you if the company really practise age discrimination???

The only thing I can guess is that probably theres a younger candidate that came up and asking for a lower pay maybe? But it really depends on what kind of job you are applying for. Certain jobs needs expeirences.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Is it wise to take eg 20-30% paycut for a contract role during unemployment? If we did, would it affect the pay for the next job? Are we still in a position to ask for our original remuneration?