Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 31-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
It's not silly at all, good to have youngsters who consider this seriously and not just rely on financial planning which to me is plain silly. Simple things why let people take a commission.

Buddy your insurance 600 per month?? You insure your legs for a million or something? My hospitalization plan cost under 1k a year.

Spending is really high. With a house and a car 2nd hand cash - my spending is 1k a month all in.

Parents- I cannot judge your fillial piety. Your parents are blessed with a good child. I give my parents a small amount, but whenever we go out I pay everything, and everything they need I pay. So it's like, the allowance is for their enjoyment. Definitely under 800 a month per annum basis.

Wedding also depends on both party. I spent under 30k for my wedding (photoshoot + 25 tables) as we both agreeable not to buy 'face' or waste money for 1 night only. Our house 300k bto 25 years loan. My reno under 30k. we gave ourselves a 50k budget, any surplus we go for holiday. In the end we were very happy to travel twice that year once six hours plane once 20 hours plane.

Its not how much you earn. Don't be a slave to money. Manage your time and money. Once you managed it, use debt to maximize returns through investment. At 5k fresh grad you are likely in a financial institute if not a unicorn company. Doubt I need to teach you about investment. Just regulate your spending bah.

We save min 30% of our salary.
You never read properly. He has worked for 3 years so he ain't a fresh grad.

Old 31-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, just a silly question, how much money should we save a month? I am single, earn around 5k per month. So take home 4k, for which I give my parents 1.6k so 2.4 k left
Spend around 1k per month and 600 on insurance. So save 800. Is it too little? (Should I save more given the current volatile job market?)

Also how much savings should we have before we consider my marriage? I am still single, but want to prepare for the future. Have around 30k savings at present.(after 3 year work)
You should aim to save 2k every month. What are you spending 1k per month on?

I spend mainly on necessities such as bills, groceries and food. Can save 2.5 k per month.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how much does a typical human resource executive earns? (salary range)
I not exactly planning to go into human resource, but just curious as Everytime I contact them (either via email/phonecall/face to face meet) they always appear very snobbish and arrogant with a "I don't give a ****" attitude, as if they are like some big shot in the organization.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

Red face My impression of HR

Quote:
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how much does a typical human resource executive earns? (salary range)
I not exactly planning to go into human resource, but just curious as Everytime I contact them (either via email/phonecall/face to face meet) they always appear very snobbish and arrogant with a "I don't give a ****" attitude, as if they are like some big shot in the organization.
My opinion
1. They can work anywhere, not scared to show boss black face either.
2. Sme HR exec entry about 2. 5k
3. Most develop a high and mighty attitude as they are equivalent to discipline Master in the office. Everybody wants longer lunch, come in late, increment, all their entertainment approved n reimbursed, if HR is a pushover then finished... However, the very experienced ones or manager tend to be milder as they are usually in charge of sugarcoating and headhunting senior management.
4. If a candidate cannot handle HR, how to handle difficult stakeholders?
5. Most junior HR seriously CMI. I ever encountered one that wanted to count my notice period from the day she read my email.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Default Fresh grad troubles

Hi, I am a fresh grad intending to get a marketing job. However, I find it difficult to secure a job offer due to my insufficient experience in the marketing field. Most of the entry level marketing jobs requires 1-2 years of relevant experience. I have been actively improving my skills, and building up my digital portfolio. Pay wise, I don't mind having low pay for a start to gain experience. Would just like to check, for those who used to be in my shoes/started off as a marketing executive, how did you landed a job and what are the things that I can do to actually secure a job as a marketing associate/executive?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Unregistered

Default just some advice from experience...

One word of advice to all those out there who have been unemployed for some time, especially those who quit without a job (as I have also been unemployed after quitting without a job)...

Please please please do something during the 'gap time'.
Go pick up a new skill, sign up for some classes, training, anything that is meaningful which you can actually write into your resume, so it does not appear to have a significant time gap. Just fill in the gap as much as possible.

So at least you can say you quit to do something meaningful that actually will value add to your future career path etc...

The first question most HR and recruiters ask is 'why is there a time gap or why you leave without a job'.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, just a silly question, how much money should we save a month? I am single, earn around 5k per month. So take home 4k, for which I give my parents 1.6k so 2.4 k left
Spend around 1k per month and 600 on insurance. So save 800. Is it too little? (Should I save more given the current volatile job market?)

Also how much savings should we have before we consider my marriage? I am still single, but want to prepare for the future. Have around 30k savings at present.(after 3 year work)
There is no hard and fast rule. Each individual and family live differently and may have different needs financially. It is not for us as outsider to judge or to even give you the "right" amount.
Just ensure you are spending what you need, and saving enough for what you have planned for your future.
Rather than listening to us outsiders here telling you an amount that may not be suitable for you, perhaps you can start by planning for your future, allocate a sum which you aim to save or need by a certain date in the future, then work backwards to calculate the estimated amount which you need to save monthly. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
One word of advice to all those out there who have been unemployed for some time, especially those who quit without a job (as I have also been unemployed after quitting without a job)...

Please please please do something during the 'gap time'.
Go pick up a new skill, sign up for some classes, training, anything that is meaningful which you can actually write into your resume, so it does not appear to have a significant time gap. Just fill in the gap as much as possible.

So at least you can say you quit to do something meaningful that actually will value add to your future career path etc...

The first question most HR and recruiters ask is 'why is there a time gap or why you leave without a job'.
I agree. It is dreadful for your boss to hear something along the lines of 'I watch drama at home for 6 months'
Be fruitful. It sends a signal that this person is still driven. No boss is excited to employ someone who is switched off and must motivate them to perform well. However I have to also admit, the temp job market is also terrible. Everybody expect a temp staff to be committed, not allowed to take any leave, not allowed to go for interview once or twice... 10 out of 10 jobs told me that. Plain taking advantage of the poor jobless. Find a way bah..

The best hiring ends May, may the odds be always in your favor.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Are the unemployed here mainly fresh graduates or have less than 5yrs of experience?

Any mid-life ones here to share experiences or advice?
Would you taking a drastic pay cut to do something you might enjoy more or a job less stressful? Or holding on to an uninspiring job that may offer you more luxuries?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are the unemployed here mainly fresh graduates or have less than 5yrs of experience?

Any mid-life ones here to share experiences or advice?
Would you taking a drastic pay cut to do something you might enjoy more or a job less stressful? Or holding on to an uninspiring job that may offer you more luxuries?
More than 10 years experience, quit without a job.

It really depends on what you quit from. If you leave because of low pay, then it defeats the whole purpose if you settle for a even lower pay job. But if you leave because of work life balance, then you need to ask yourself if you are willing to trade high salary with better work life balance.

Most of the time, you really need to work what you are paid. (yes, although there are exceptions out there. But to be honest, how many of such people)

Although I was paid relatively well with good bonus in my previous role, I was almost working OT every single day, and on 24 hours standby to solve issues. Plus a super uncooperative support staff and a serious manpower shortage, and constant changes from reorganisation... It got so bad I was thinking to myself if I could return my bonus and they will give me some peace, I would do it immediately.

We have to understand nothing is perfect in life. We can't get the best of both world. Who doesn't want a well paying aspiring job full of potential with nice colleagues and appreciative bosses, and still have time to spend with family and friends? That's the ideal but not always attainable and sometime not even within our control.

So if you are leaving to seek more freedom more work life balance, then is best to next look out for firms who are better known for their staff welfare (yes, progression will be slower, salary and bonus will be lower)...

Just ask yourself, what you are leaving for? Where is the stress/unhappiness trigger?
Then follow your heart and look for jobs to avoid these factors that make you leave. Hope this helps.

All the best!