Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 208 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2071 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 11:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
that was really unhelpful wtf. actually, come to think of it, it's hard to find a career coach that is really nice and helpful. i've went to both school's and workforce's but both made some comments that i thought was totally unnecessary...
They are also just taking salary after not being able to continue in their own field. This is being a recruitment consultant without the pressure to sell bodies. I think it's a good job to cruise. They are not trained to sugar coat as their priority is to clear problem within the day, day after day. They are not lecturers who know what not to say to avoid students poor review. The best rated lecturers are the ones who offer the student fish... Not the ones who teach fishing. The ones that teach fishing, are probably career coach serving us reality. This is my feeling after some of my friends also went.
However, they neglect that plucking up the courage to see a coach is like gambling or smoking addict finally call the hotline for help... After a long struggle...

What to do..u all think they have a special job portal.only reserved for their clients? Often, the problem is not that document... Its bias against age, looks, gender n race.

Reply With Quote
  #2072 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanlai View Post
I feel the pain of all the pre employed people here.

It baffles me why I don't find such good stuff free, at NTU or NUS

[URL="s://docdro.id/i9Oztbj"]s://docdro.id/i9Oztbj[/

There's no disgusting money making referral system with undesirable pictures. I hate them as much as u
I didn't put more pages as I respect the 10% copyright rule.
Thank you, in a book this is way more useful than my school. They always try to attract alll students so it becomes too vague. I have a lot to modify before hiring cools down, hope this is effective.

Reply With Quote
  #2073 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Just a suggestion

I don't know if this is practical for those who need money desperately or have been jobless for very long but maybe can consider doing contract work or internship then get yourself converted from there.

Seems to work at least from what I experienced. I graduated with a third class honours private distance-learning degree and I didn't do any internships during uni (bad decision).

So, the moment I finished my exams, I desperately searched for an internship or job so I can say that I don't know my grades yet since haven't receive result slip😅

Anyway, got into an internship and was offered conversion to perm after the first month. I rejected it because I found out nobody lasted under that particular boss for more than a year. (Maybe don't do that but in my case, on hindsight, it was a good decision for me).

Was jobless for a month before finding a contract job (yes, I regretted not taking the conversion at that point in time). Eventually, got converted to perm after 1 year +.

Reply With Quote
  #2074 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know if this is practical for those who need money desperately or have been jobless for very long but maybe can consider doing contract work or internship then get yourself converted from there.

Seems to work at least from what I experienced. I graduated with a third class honours private distance-learning degree and I didn't do any internships during uni (bad decision).

So, the moment I finished my exams, I desperately searched for an internship or job so I can say that I don't know my grades yet since haven't receive result slip😅

Anyway, got into an internship and was offered conversion to perm after the first month. I rejected it because I found out nobody lasted under that particular boss for more than a year. (Maybe don't do that but in my case, on hindsight, it was a good decision for me).

Was jobless for a month before finding a contract job (yes, I regretted not taking the conversion at that point in time). Eventually, got converted to perm after 1 year +.
nothing wrong to feel the bad vibes and turn away. After all, there are several possibilities if you took it up. 1. boss not happy, next boss calls, you get shot down 2. you don't last 1 year, it looks bad on paper for fresh grad 3. you excel and since that company had a bad reputation in the industry, it boosts your profile

jobless 1 month after an internship is not a bad impression because the internship needs to end when the contract with school end. so to me, I advise that if the school don't force you to go for an internship, just work as a temp and earn a proper salary. take initiative to ask for other roles when you learnt enough. 1.6k v 800! after all, to most bosses, its the same, put a body in my company, also no time to train them and scared they screw up. some "interns" just sit there the whole day and photocopy or shred confidential documents. well, mundane jobs also reflect certain characteristics.
Reply With Quote
  #2075 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess many openings are not exactly real openings. If you see the same job appearing for months, something is not as what have you thought. They could have rejected you, but can't possibly they have rejected hundreds other candidates too. Likely these jobs have been filled internally way before you have applied, but the posting is just... for show.

Even though I have 10 years of work experience and armed with multiple degrees with excellent grades, I'm too not getting a single call, though each resume I wrote to fit the JD and even used apps to test match them against the JD, still...

And guess what... after long periods of searching, the ones I finally got invited for interviews were those which I was referred in, using a generic resume and no cover letter. *ironic, huh?*

So it is time to put down your pride and shyness. Go send a "Hi how are you?" message to your friends who are working somewhere now. Ask them out for a coffee chat and get their help to pass your resume internally to the HR. Almost 90% of the time, internal referral will get you an interview, which you can then speak to the hiring manager to showcase what you have.
You are right , bro. Most of the job “openings” are there to build talent pipeline. That means to have a list of quality candidates immediately once they have the approval from above to have the headcount to hire . I experienced few times so far. If they are serious , they would have accepted and offered you within a week , rather than making you wait and wait . I had an replacement who got offered after 2 years of waiting for interview results when I was leaving the company to make headcount available.
Reply With Quote
  #2076 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile For your consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im the nus chemistry graduate who doesnt wanna work in chemistry anymore hence my bad grades. But I decided to try hr/admin in which i did hr admin intern and was converted to contract. I understand its hard to get into hr w/o academic bg or hr cert. So i am looking into jobs that are open to any degree/diploma.

From what i know Apr to Nov is the worst period of job seeking. I actively searched for jobs during Aug to Feb period but only a few get back to me. Not much calls too. I'm also looking at recruitment agency to give me contract that can be converted to perm. In Nov last year recruitment agents spam call me but no fruitful results. Their offers were mostly $1800 for 1yr contract which i did not think was beneficial for me given my academic bg. I expected at least $2400 which i think is reasonable

Hence, i accepted my internship offer. The best decision i made so far as i learnt alot. Too bad till now still no companies are giving me interview calls. I even follow online tips to get my resume to get through hr filtering software.
Yes, and also thanks for the encouragement guys. I am not giving up but it definitely is taking a huge toll on me now.
I assure you that you are not alone. So many engineering, business, bio, chem, psychology, doing unrelated work.

However, in a degree program assuming 3 years, 1.5 years is spend on foundational units and 1.5 years to learn the field.. now these people are telling employers... I studied for 1.5 years... Please hire me. Its very difficult to convince the boss. Other people spend another 1.5 years to specialise.

Pls don't take 1.8k... Large % of people who accept low ball, end up low ball their whole life. When your peers hit 7k, you are 4k. That's how bad it is. However... U studied 1.5 years less than others... Dilemma indeed...

I suggest, if seriously Any job... Go do sales in a field you like. Sales job almost anytime welcome people because hire fast fire fast. But if work hard, 3-5k is no problem. Plus you will learn a lot about that field really fast. The numbers will help impress your next boss. Maybe do business development, PR..

If u insist on a cushy office job, do understand that you are automatically low priority due to lack of specialist knowledge as above.

Good that you took the advice to beat HR software. Next practice mock interview to score in front of your boss. The question on why they should hire you will sure pop up.
Reply With Quote

  #2077 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile For your consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im the nus chemistry graduate who doesnt wanna work in chemistry anymore hence my bad grades. But I decided to try hr/admin in which i did hr admin intern and was converted to contract. I understand its hard to get into hr w/o academic bg or hr cert. So i am looking into jobs that are open to any degree/diploma.

From what i know Apr to Nov is the worst period of job seeking. I actively searched for jobs during Aug to Feb period but only a few get back to me. Not much calls too. I'm also looking at recruitment agency to give me contract that can be converted to perm. In Nov last year recruitment agents spam call me but no fruitful results. Their offers were mostly $1800 for 1yr contract which i did not think was beneficial for me given my academic bg. I expected at least $2400 which i think is reasonable

Hence, i accepted my internship offer. The best decision i made so far as i learnt alot. Too bad till now still no companies are giving me interview calls. I even follow online tips to get my resume to get through hr filtering software.
Yes and also thanks for the encouragement guys. I am not giving up but it definitely is taking a huge toll on me now.
I assure you that you are not alone. So many engineering, business, bio, chem, psychology, doing unrelated work.

However, in a degree program assuming 3 years, 1.5 years is spend on foundational units and 1.5 years to learn the field.. now these people are telling employers... I studied for 1.5 years... Please hire me. Its very difficult to convince the boss. Other people spend another 1.5 years to specialise.

Pls don't take 1.8k... Large % of people who accept low ball, end up low ball their whole life. When your peers hit 7k, you are 4k. That's how bad it is. However... U studied 1.5 years less than others... Dilemma indeed...

I suggest, if seriously Any job... Go do sales in a field you like. Sales job almost anytime welcome people because hire fast fire fast. But if work hard, 3-5k is no problem. Plus you will learn a lot about that field really fast. The numbers will help impress your next boss. Maybe do business development, PR..

If u insist on a cushy office job, do understand that you are automatically low priority due to lack of specialist knowledge as above.

Good that you took the advice to beat HR software. Next practice mock interview to score in front of your boss. The question on why they should hire you will sure pop up.
Reply With Quote
  #2078 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile For your consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im the nus chemistry graduate who doesnt wanna work in chemistry anymore hence my bad grades. But I decided to try hr/admin in which i did hr admin intern and was converted to contract. I understand its hard to get into hr w/o academic bg or hr cert. So i am looking into jobs that are open to any degree/diploma.

From what i know Apr to Nov is the worst period of job seeking. I actively searched for jobs during Aug to Feb period but only a few get back to me. Not much calls too. I'm also looking at recruitment agency to give me contract that can be converted to perm. In Nov last year recruitment agents spam call me but no fruitful results. Their offers were mostly $1800 for 1yr contract which i did not think was beneficial for me given my academic bg. I expected at least $2400 which i think is reasonable

Hence, i accepted my internship offer. The best decision i made so far as i learnt alot. Too bad till now still no companies are giving me interview calls. I even follow online tips to get my resume to get through hr filtering software.
Yes and also thanks for the encouragement guys. I am not giving up but it definitely is taking a huge toll on me now.
I assure you that you are not alone. So many engineering, business, bio, chem, psychology, doing unrelated work.

However, in a degree program assuming 3 years, 1.5 years is spend on foundational units and 1.5 years to learn the field.. now these people are telling employers... I studied for 1.5 years... Please hire me. Its very difficult to convince the boss. Other people spend another 1.5 years to specialise.

Pls don't take 1.8k... Large % of people who accept low ball, end up low ball their whole life. When your peers hit 7k, you are 4k. That's how bad it is. However... U studied 1.5 years less than others... Dilemma indeed...

I suggest, if seriously Any job... Go do sales in a field you like. Sales job almost anytime welcome people because hire fast fire fast. But if work hard, 3-5k is no problem. Plus you will learn a lot about that field really fast. The numbers will help impress your next boss. Maybe do business development, PR..

If u insist on a cushy office job, do understand that you are automatically low priority due to lack of specialist knowledge as above.

Good that you took the advice to beat software. Next practice mock interview to score in front of your boss. The question on why they should hire you will sure pop up.
Reply With Quote
  #2079 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile For your consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im the nus chemistry graduate who doesnt wanna work in chemistry anymore hence my bad grades. But I decided to try hr/admin in which i did hr admin intern and was converted to contract. I understand its hard to get into hr w/o academic bg or hr cert. So i am looking into jobs that are open to any degree/diploma.

From what i know Apr to Nov is the worst period of job seeking. I actively searched for jobs during Aug to Feb period but only a few get back to me. Not much calls too. I'm also looking at recruitment agency to give me contract that can be converted to perm. In Nov last year recruitment agents spam call me but no fruitful results. Their offers were mostly $1800 for 1yr contract which i did not think was beneficial for me given my academic bg. I expected at least $2400 which i think is reasonable

Hence, i accepted my internship offer. The best decision i made so far as i learnt alot. Too bad till now still no companies are giving me interview calls. I even follow online tips to get my resume to get through hr filtering software.
Yes and also thanks for the encouragement guys. I am not giving up but it definitely is taking a huge toll on me now.
I assure you that you are not alone. So many engineering, business, bio, chem, psychology, doing unrelated work.

However, in a degree program assuming 3 years, 1.5 years is spend on foundational units and 1.5 years to learn the field.. now these people are telling employers... I studied for 1.5 years... Please hire me. Its very difficult to convince the boss. Other people spend another 1.5 years to specialise.

Pls don't take 1.8k... Large % of people who accept low ball, end up low ball their whole life. When your peers hit 7k, you are 4k. That's how bad it is. However... U studied 1.5 years less than others... Dilemma indeed...

if seriously Any job... Go do sales in a field you like. Sales job almost anytime welcome people because hire fast fire fast. But if work hard, 3-5k is no problem. Plus you will learn a lot about that field really fast. The numbers will help impress your next boss. Maybe do business development, PR..

If u insist on a cushy office job, do understand that you are automatically low priority due to lack of specialist knowledge as above.

Good that you took the advice to beat software. Next practice mock interview to score in front of your boss. The question on why they should hire you will sure pop up.
Reply With Quote
  #2080 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
that was really unhelpful wtf. actually, come to think of it, it's hard to find a career coach that is really nice and helpful. i've went to both school's and workforce's but both made some comments that i thought was totally unnecessary...
she even told me to remove my condo name in my resume because that would make HR/agents/employers would be jealous of my living....like WTF? tell me to remove it because it would look modest ok but don't tell me how to think like other people would petty of themselves because of my resume... i was so mad.

her name is koh wee min. beware. dont go to her. i would love to go private career coach but im scared what if it not helpful.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 47 28-05-2020 04:55 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,990 Replies, 921,114 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,476 Replies, 748,824 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
330 Replies, 240,937 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 12,202 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
929 Replies, 741,023 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 64,664 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,684 Replies, 1,254,893 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,724 Replies, 2,391,898 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,742 Replies, 5,458,566 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 4,994 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,837 Replies, 1,059,945 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
178 Replies, 143,123 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
816 Replies, 535,086 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,221 Replies, 1,862,035 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,571 Replies, 1,554,624 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 47,822 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 110,504 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
3 Replies, 1,087 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 275,332 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,711 Replies, 780,947 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,308 Replies, 236,281 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 23,935 Views
Cold calls/emails to HR ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,304 Views
Insurance Agent to Bancassurance...
7 Replies, 5,162 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 114,118 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 16,419 Views
Mask price discount in cb period
0 Replies, 117 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 169,442 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,156 Replies, 881,078 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2