Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Unregistered

Default Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know if this is practical for those who need money desperately or have been jobless for very long but maybe can consider doing contract work or internship then get yourself converted from there.

Seems to work at least from what I experienced. I graduated with a third class honours private distance-learning degree and I didn't do any internships during uni (bad decision).

So, the moment I finished my exams, I desperately searched for an internship or job so I can say that I don't know my grades yet since haven't receive result slip😅

Anyway, got into an internship and was offered conversion to perm after the first month. I rejected it because I found out nobody lasted under that particular boss for more than a year. (Maybe don't do that but in my case, on hindsight, it was a good decision for me).

Was jobless for a month before finding a contract job (yes, I regretted not taking the conversion at that point in time). Eventually, got converted to perm after 1 year +.
nothing wrong to feel the bad vibes and turn away. After all, there are several possibilities if you took it up. 1. boss not happy, next boss calls, you get shot down 2. you don't last 1 year, it looks bad on paper for fresh grad 3. you excel and since that company had a bad reputation in the industry, it boosts your profile

jobless 1 month after an internship is not a bad impression because the internship needs to end when the contract with school end. so to me, I advise that if the school don't force you to go for an internship, just work as a temp and earn a proper salary. take initiative to ask for other roles when you learnt enough. 1.6k v 800! after all, to most bosses, its the same, put a body in my company, also no time to train them and scared they screw up. some "interns" just sit there the whole day and photocopy or shred confidential documents. well, mundane jobs also reflect certain characteristics.