Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 207 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2061 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry to hear that; don't give up.

Why not share some of your profile and we can try to give some comments on it?

Since its the graduating period again, i think you can start seeking for employment again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Today marks one year since my final year exams ended last year. Still unable to grasp a perm job. Not sure what to feel as now, I have to compete with my friends and 'fresher' graduates graduating this year...

Anyone can suggest how/where to apply for jobs properly? Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

CareerGov totally rejects all my application probably due to bad grades. JobStreet mostly agents will call but nothing fruitful so far. My applications seem to go through a blackhole.
For applications directly to companies I want, I edit my resume according to JD but not much to amend anw since my job exp is almost negligible.
What is worst is that recent job postings is mostly for Manager/Director/Senior positions. Entry level is for diploma and below.
What happened to the degree entry level positions man?

Am I suppose to take extra certs or something? Currently my contract job is ending in 2 months, and the company is unable to open headcount too...Time is ticking away too fast.

Reply With Quote
  #2062 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How did you “ask for the job”?
Any adjustment to pay?
along the lines of
"please help me, this job will support my family of xxx includes xxx aged parents"

"if there are any gaps ..........., I will learn before I start work ...... I won't be a liability in your department" (and must really go borrow books / n learn hor... this is a matter of trustworthy n integrity very imp especially in public service.. nobody expect u to be expert but cannot be blank slate.)

my pay not high in the first place. I'm a pte degree holder, proud farmer earning supplementary money through side income. by right not difficult to get calls.... by left.... my field got stirred big time by a general, dam burst water gushed out so very soft employment situation.

here a bit there a bit, every month minimum 4k, not depressed to go work, ok la.... good enough.

Reply With Quote
  #2063 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry to hear that; don't give up.

Why not share some of your profile and we can try to give some comments on it?

Since its the graduating period again, i think you can start seeking for employment again
Im the nus chemistry graduate who doesnt wanna work in chemistry anymore hence my bad grades. But I decided to try hr/admin in which i did hr admin intern and was converted to contract. I understand its hard to get into hr w/o academic bg or hr cert. So i am looking into jobs that are open to any degree/diploma.

From what i know Apr to Nov is the worst period of job seeking. I actively searched for jobs during Aug to Feb period but only a few get back to me. Not much calls too. I'm also looking at recruitment agency to give me contract that can be converted to perm. In Nov last year recruitment agents spam call me but no fruitful results. Their offers were mostly $1800 for 1yr contract which i did not think was beneficial for me given my academic bg. I expected at least $2400 which i think is reasonable

Hence, i accepted my internship offer. The best decision i made so far as i learnt alot. Too bad till now still no companies are giving me interview calls. I even follow online tips to get my resume to get through hr filtering software.
Yes, and also thanks for the encouragement guys. I am not giving up but it definitely is taking a huge toll on me now.

Reply With Quote
  #2064 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: East
Posts: 13
aresnum is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Today marks one year since my final year exams ended last year. Still unable to grasp a perm job. Not sure what to feel as now, I have to compete with my friends and 'fresher' graduates graduating this year...

Anyone can suggest how/where to apply for jobs properly? Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

CareerGov totally rejects all my application probably due to bad grades. JobStreet mostly agents will call but nothing fruitful so far. My applications seem to go through a blackhole.
For applications directly to companies I want, I edit my resume according to JD but not much to amend anw since my job exp is almost negligible.
What is worst is that recent job postings is mostly for Manager/Director/Senior positions. Entry level is for diploma and below.
What happened to the degree entry level positions man?

Am I suppose to take extra certs or something? Currently my contract job is ending in 2 months, and the company is unable to open headcount too...Time is ticking away too fast.
Company only hired graduate will working experience. They expect you to start contribute since day 1 instead of give you training.

Suggest you take short term contract job relevant to your field first.once you accumulate at least 1 years job experience, aim for perm job.
Reply With Quote
  #2065 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
normanlai is on a distinguished road
Default

I feel the pain of all the pre employed people here.

I would like to share a very useful and detailed resource which I stumbled upon at SUSS block B, the one with Subway. Its FREE

I uploaded several of the most useful pages and i checked to ensure readability. The TOC n cover page are the last 2 pages.

It baffles me why I don't find such good stuff free, at NTU or NUS

https://docdro.id/i9Oztbj

There's no disgusting money making referral system with undesirable pictures. I hate them as much as u do. Just giving back to the community.

I didn't put more pages as I respect the 10% copyright rule.
Reply With Quote
  #2066 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
JobHunter45 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Today marks one year since my final year exams ended last year. Still unable to grasp a perm job. Not sure what to feel as now, I have to compete with my friends and 'fresher' graduates graduating this year...

Anyone can suggest how/where to apply for jobs properly? Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

CareerGov totally rejects all my application probably due to bad grades. JobStreet mostly agents will call but nothing fruitful so far. My applications seem to go through a blackhole.
For applications directly to companies I want, I edit my resume according to JD but not much to amend anw since my job exp is almost negligible.
What is worst is that recent job postings is mostly for Manager/Director/Senior positions. Entry level is for diploma and below.
What happened to the degree entry level positions man?

Am I suppose to take extra certs or something? Currently my contract job is ending in 2 months, and the company is unable to open headcount too...Time is ticking away too fast.
sorry to hear of your situation..I can feel your despair! sadly this is getting a bit too common. I know of at least 2 other friends in similar positions (graduated from NUS last year, still haven't found a perm job or even a more "stable" contract job). Have you tried free career counselling with Workforce Singapore? I went to them after a fruitless job hunt. They helped me edit my resume and did mock interview sessions with me. I managed to get a job after that. Hope things work out for you!
Reply With Quote

  #2067 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter45 View Post
sorry to hear of your situation..I can feel your despair! sadly this is getting a bit too common. I know of at least 2 other friends in similar positions (graduated from NUS last year, still haven't found a perm job or even a more "stable" contract job). Have you tried free career counselling with Workforce Singapore? I went to them after a fruitless job hunt. They helped me edit my resume and did mock interview sessions with me. I managed to get a job after that. Hope things work out for you!
You are the first case I heard of that didn't say they are useless or just sell bodies to small companies. Did you find through your own labour or was it also thru their network?
Reply With Quote
  #2068 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
JobHunter45 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are the first case I heard of that didn't say they are useless or just sell bodies to small companies. Did you find through your own labour or was it also thru their network?
I did it largely through my own efforts although the career coach sat down with me to go through job advertisements and pointed out how to sieve through ads to find jobs with a better match to my experience/interest, which would hopefully lead to higher chances of being shortlisted. Besides that, I had also contacted lots of people to ask if they knew of any opening and went to career fairs. The career coach also help me keep a lookout in their network, though nothing suitable came up.

I went through the dark phase before, lamenting that I'm useless, jobless before even hitting 30 etc etc. was very lucky to have support of family/friends who kept encouraging me to keep my spirits up. having gone through that phase, i can sympathise with those who feel that there is no hope in job hunting and say things like they are useless or just a body etc....
Reply With Quote
  #2069 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i went to workforce career coach and found it extremely unhelpful. infact the career coach made a comment that i live in a comfortable lifestyle supported by my parents and therefore i should not be too desperate to look for jobs. she was awfully terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #2070 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i went to workforce career coach and found it extremely unhelpful. infact the career coach made a comment that i live in a comfortable lifestyle supported by my parents and therefore i should not be too desperate to look for jobs. she was awfully terrible.
that was really unhelpful wtf. actually, come to think of it, it's hard to find a career coach that is really nice and helpful. i've went to both school's and workforce's but both made some comments that i thought was totally unnecessary...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 31-03-2020 04:49 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 770 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,999 Replies, 2,188,316 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
414 Replies, 71,131 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,141 Replies, 5,285,242 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,426 Replies, 1,481,501 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 5,409 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 95,138 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,699 Replies, 1,013,943 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,578 Replies, 1,224,454 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,978 Replies, 1,800,846 Views
Chevron COBRA assesment, please... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 48,850 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,268 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,868 Replies, 3,647,181 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,843 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 75,423 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 429,622 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 4,053 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 197,226 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
878 Replies, 716,811 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,924 Views
What course should I undertake?
8 Replies, 3,104 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 121,144 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 12,763 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,876 Views
What is the usual salary for...
4 Replies, 1,934 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 6,226 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,251 Views
Career at Keppel
3 Replies, 354 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 325,870 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2