Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Detective Couch Potato

Smile Just guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 43 years old. I was let go (speculated to be cost-cutting measure) from my ex company and lucky, I went for an interview (Company A) and managed to get a verbal offer. I was very happy. But I continued to send my resume for other interviews as there was no concrete signing of letter of appt from the company A that verbally hired me. I was happy to get another interview (Company B). I was very confident about the result of the interview and awaiting good news. Meanwhile, the HR from Company A called me to give them 2 References which I did. Then few days later, the HR called me again to ask me to send them copies of my Educational certs. I informed the HR that as I did not scan my edu cert into the computer so I can only screenshot my edu cert and send them which I also already did. So fast forward, I did not hear from them for one week already.

As for Company B, I went to their interview on 23 April and only got a call from the HR manager on 26 April to tell me that I was hired. I was so happy. And she asked me whether I want to sign the Letter of Offer on Monday 6 May (the day I should be starting work) or on Tuesday 30 April, which is today. I informed her that I wanted to sign the Letter of Offer today. And she agreed. Fast forward, I waited and waited, thinking perhaps she will call me (which she said she would give me a call again) on Monday or so, but no call. Then today, I waited and waited, perhaps she will call and ask me to go down to sign the letter of offer. To my rude surprise, I got an email from her saying that the Management has decided to withhold the hiring of the position and regret to inform me that they are not able to offer me the position. OMG ! What the hell !! Are they so fickle-minded ?? And the HR manager even got the cheek say she will keep my resume in case the management change their mind. WHAT !!!??

Nonetheless, I did not even have the mood to reply her anyway. I just feel so depressed.

Are these 2 companies playing prank on me ?? How can that be ? They are not even related !
Are you sure your references are good?

As in, assuming you got no dirt on you, are those references trustworthy? Some people may not actually give a good referal because they may not really like you behind your back or if you did not tell them beforehand that you are giving their contact numbers for reference.

Also, why can't you scan your certs in? You have the physical certs, right? So, it should just be a matter of getting a scanner or going to a library/shop to scan in. You only need to do that once and you never eed to do it again in your lifetime unless you delete the scanned document from your computer.

By screenshot, I assume you took a photo of the cert? Not a big issue but it's like those people who use selfie photos on the resume because they don't want to take a passport photo. Not a big issue imo but to some, it's unprofessional.

Also, do you have any dirt on you? Just asking because it's a bit weird for 2 companies that like you enough to give interviews and verbal confirmation to suddenly change their tune. In other words, (not saying you have them but) do you have a black record (eg. when to jail, bankruptcy, etc), lied about past employment history (eg. fired but say is left on own accord or other reasons) or have fake documents (eg. fake education certs or work certs).

No offense to you in any way but just brainstorming so you can try to figure out where you might have fallen short. In any case, no companies have time and money to play pranks on a random applicant by spending wages/time on fake interviews, emails or background checks for fun. Some may do a few interviews for quota but they usually end with "thanks for your time. please wait for our call/mail if you are selected." instead of a verbal confirmation.

Of course, we also can't rule out that you are just seriously unlucky and there happens to be a hiring freeze for company B or something. I think company A is not a loss yet and you can always contact them to see if they got your certs. The email could be buried or lost.