Reference Checks: Does SG HR really check them?? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Reference Checks: Does SG HR really check them??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
tobyhund is on a distinguished road
Default Reference Checks: Does SG HR really check them??

I am wondering if it is a practise here to really check on your listed references??

I do not think that I have ever had my references called up before and wish to know your experiences. I reckon that they probably only do reference checks for Exec level and above.

I am in the job hunt again and gotten two rounds of interview for a gahmen job. Does the public sector check on your references??? Any experiences?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 187
poor and stupid is on a distinguished road
Default

If your position is of enough importance, then the interviewer probably already know you enough. Otherwise your position is probably not of enough importance and no one will bother to check references.

OK now for the "engineer" view.

If you read enough news, you will SEE some ex-con got back to working and steal AGAIN!! Then the company will say they duno, hmmmmmmmm. Really?!?!

So you think they check?

Trust me i am an "engineer".

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Some MNCs do check. when i joined a bank, they found out that i have a 15-year-old unsettled case of traffic accident lodged with the magistrates' court.

my relative's company also found out that a person they previously employed had forged his payslips using the company's letterhead. they got to know because he's interviewing at a company that did a reference check. and this is for a junior exec position (<$5k).

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 187
poor and stupid is on a distinguished road
Default

The thing about reference checks are:

Even you kenna caught... then what?

The reference check are usually at the mid stage of interview, means they like you liao, they may still hire you and use this to press lower pay.

Ar bo at most get kick out of interview and black listed from the company lor.

What else they do..?

...Report police meh? Really?!?!?! Then the whole thing goes out of proportion liao, not nice for both parties even though lying is outright wrong and cb.

I would not suggest anyone to actually fake references, but I would have to logically agree that it is advantageous to do so.

So you honest engineers out there, DUN FAKE REFERENCES hor

Trust me I am an "Engineer"
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid View Post
The thing about reference checks are:

Even you kenna caught... then what?

The reference check are usually at the mid stage of interview, means they like you liao, they may still hire you and use this to press lower pay.

Ar bo at most get kick out of interview and black listed from the company lor.

What else they do..?

...Report police meh? Really?!?!?! Then the whole thing goes out of proportion liao, not nice for both parties even though lying is outright wrong and cb.

I would not suggest anyone to actually fake references, but I would have to logically agree that it is advantageous to do so.

So you honest engineers out there, DUN FAKE REFERENCES hor

Trust me I am an "Engineer"
i just got hired by a us mnc, yes they did. they engage 3rd party to do a background check. inform your referee first before you declare and sign the document.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
tobyhund is on a distinguished road
Default

I think banks do checks on references due to strict MAS requirements and MNCs do so too.

What about the civil service??? Anyone had their references called up when applying for a gahmen job???

I think I better call up my references and invite them for kopi just to be safe. Never did anything wrong but I have to admit I was not the most motivated of workers sometimes.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

After my second interview, I was told that they would be calling one of my listed references before the offer. They just picked one and asked me to notify him that they would be calling. BTW it is a SME.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Some MNCs do check. when i joined a bank, they found out that i have a 15-year-old unsettled case of traffic accident lodged with the magistrates' court.

my relative's company also found out that a person they previously employed had forged his payslips using the company's letterhead. they got to know because he's interviewing at a company that did a reference check. and this is for a junior exec position (<$5k).


My friend is now is this dilemma, that his current company has found out him forging this previous employment payslip.

He's thinking of leaving before they ask him to, but he is still worried they will still ask for the required docs......

any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My friend is now is this dilemma, that his current company has found out him forging this previous employment payslip.

He's thinking of leaving before they ask him to, but he is still worried they will still ask for the required docs......

any advice?
how they found out?!?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyhund View Post
I think banks do checks on references due to strict MAS requirements and MNCs do so too.

What about the civil service??? Anyone had their references called up when applying for a gahmen job???

I think I better call up my references and invite them for kopi just to be safe. Never did anything wrong but I have to admit I was not the most motivated of workers sometimes.
i always call up and ask for permission from my references first before putting it in my resume. it is just common courtesy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary Check [Engineering] Maritime Just Want To Know Income and Jobs 70 29-10-2015 10:02 PM
Job and Salary Check Nimbus Income and Jobs 17 18-05-2013 09:55 PM
Check property prices Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 3 22-11-2012 10:49 AM
Background checks jajangmyun Income and Jobs 1 11-10-2012 10:05 AM
Check your credit history Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 7 03-12-2008 01:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,786 Replies, 1,241,490 Views
Civil Service Year End Bonus 2018
6 Replies, 2,321 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
263 Replies, 183,420 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,022 Replies, 1,279,944 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
359 Replies, 556,220 Views
Anybody knows the salary for...
0 Replies, 120 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,318 Replies, 4,107,956 Views
Rolls-Royce Graduate Development... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 11,554 Views
EzCredit FAST LOAN APPROVAL
0 Replies, 31 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
204 Replies, 135,815 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,732 Views
DBS Business Analystics Graduate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 25,444 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 397,127 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
521 Replies, 274,013 Views
EzCredit FAST LOAN APPROVAL
0 Replies, 49 Views
Shell Graduate program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
147 Replies, 95,032 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 229,648 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,850 Replies, 667,360 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,134 Replies, 519,579 Views
[IT job] NCS Application Consultant
5 Replies, 1,860 Views
Civil Servuce End of Year Bonus... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 3,736 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 35,225 Views
Trade Compliance
1 Replies, 154 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 42,785 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
50 Replies, 33,819 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,513 Replies, 3,130,698 Views
Entering medicine field with...
2 Replies, 483 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
129 Replies, 92,874 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2