Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Reference Checks: Does SG HR really check them?? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2243-reference-checks-does-sg-hr-really-check-them.html)

tobyhund 24-10-2012 01:02 PM

Reference Checks: Does SG HR really check them??

I am wondering if it is a practise here to really check on your listed references??

I do not think that I have ever had my references called up before and wish to know your experiences. I reckon that they probably only do reference checks for Exec level and above.

I am in the job hunt again and gotten two rounds of interview for a gahmen job. Does the public sector check on your references??? Any experiences?

poor and stupid 24-10-2012 03:06 PM

If your position is of enough importance, then the interviewer probably already know you enough. Otherwise your position is probably not of enough importance and no one will bother to check references.

OK now for the "engineer" view.

If you read enough news, you will SEE some ex-con got back to working and steal AGAIN!! Then the company will say they duno, hmmmmmmmm. Really?!?!

So you think they check?

Trust me i am an "engineer".

Unregistered 24-10-2012 03:13 PM

Some MNCs do check. when i joined a bank, they found out that i have a 15-year-old unsettled case of traffic accident lodged with the magistrates' court.

my relative's company also found out that a person they previously employed had forged his payslips using the company's letterhead. they got to know because he's interviewing at a company that did a reference check. and this is for a junior exec position (<$5k).

poor and stupid 24-10-2012 03:23 PM

The thing about reference checks are:

Even you kenna caught... then what?

The reference check are usually at the mid stage of interview, means they like you liao, they may still hire you and use this to press lower pay.

Ar bo at most get kick out of interview and black listed from the company lor.

What else they do..?

...Report police meh? Really?!?!?! Then the whole thing goes out of proportion liao, not nice for both parties even though lying is outright wrong and cb.

I would not suggest anyone to actually fake references, but I would have to logically agree that it is advantageous to do so.

So you honest engineers out there, DUN FAKE REFERENCES hor

Trust me I am an "Engineer"

Unregistered 24-10-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 29434)
The thing about reference checks are:

Even you kenna caught... then what?

The reference check are usually at the mid stage of interview, means they like you liao, they may still hire you and use this to press lower pay.

Ar bo at most get kick out of interview and black listed from the company lor.

What else they do..?

...Report police meh? Really?!?!?! Then the whole thing goes out of proportion liao, not nice for both parties even though lying is outright wrong and cb.

I would not suggest anyone to actually fake references, but I would have to logically agree that it is advantageous to do so.

So you honest engineers out there, DUN FAKE REFERENCES hor

Trust me I am an "Engineer"

i just got hired by a us mnc, yes they did. they engage 3rd party to do a background check. inform your referee first before you declare and sign the document.

tobyhund 24-10-2012 05:31 PM

I think banks do checks on references due to strict MAS requirements and MNCs do so too.

What about the civil service??? Anyone had their references called up when applying for a gahmen job???

I think I better call up my references and invite them for kopi just to be safe. Never did anything wrong but I have to admit I was not the most motivated of workers sometimes. :p

Unregistered 25-10-2012 11:51 AM

After my second interview, I was told that they would be calling one of my listed references before the offer. They just picked one and asked me to notify him that they would be calling. BTW it is a SME.

Unregistered 24-11-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29432)
Some MNCs do check. when i joined a bank, they found out that i have a 15-year-old unsettled case of traffic accident lodged with the magistrates' court.

my relative's company also found out that a person they previously employed had forged his payslips using the company's letterhead. they got to know because he's interviewing at a company that did a reference check. and this is for a junior exec position (<$5k).

My friend is now is this dilemma, that his current company has found out him forging this previous employment payslip.

He's thinking of leaving before they ask him to, but he is still worried they will still ask for the required docs......

any advice?

Unregistered 24-11-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30798)
My friend is now is this dilemma, that his current company has found out him forging this previous employment payslip.

He's thinking of leaving before they ask him to, but he is still worried they will still ask for the required docs......

any advice?

how they found out?!?!?!

Unregistered 24-11-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyhund (Post 29446)
I think banks do checks on references due to strict MAS requirements and MNCs do so too.

What about the civil service??? Anyone had their references called up when applying for a gahmen job???

I think I better call up my references and invite them for kopi just to be safe. Never did anything wrong but I have to admit I was not the most motivated of workers sometimes. :p

i always call up and ask for permission from my references first before putting it in my resume. it is just common courtesy.