Career as Teacher - Page 963 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 18-11-2023, 11:44 PM
Unregistered

Default MMs

Honestly to the TS complaining abt his award winning HOD and SLs, do yourself a favour and post out. No point ranting here, not all schools are like that. Anyway it already sounds like u have some prejudice against ur HOD.

On those who want to check your HOD or SL, and think that their work is easy and light and just leeching on your work, go and step up, tell ur P u want to do it also, problem solved! You can be hod too and enjoy an easy life

No seriously, I think while there are some idling leaders out there, many are also actually working v hard. You just don’t see their work. These kinds comments about want P to teach, MMs to do same work as them are v childish, and reflects teachers narrow mindedness. You try export these kind of thinking to private sector and ask the CEP to do data entry. Likely ur the kinda of teacher that is precisely making ur RO having to spend a lot of time to manage u, that’s why he or she need to offload. 😅

Old 19-11-2023, 01:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honestly to the TS complaining abt his award winning HOD and SLs, do yourself a favour and post out. No point ranting here, not all schools are like that. Anyway it already sounds like u have some prejudice against ur HOD.

On those who want to check your HOD or SL, and think that their work is easy and light and just leeching on your work, go and step up, tell ur P u want to do it also, problem solved! You can be hod too and enjoy an easy life

No seriously, I think while there are some idling leaders out there, many are also actually working v hard. You just don’t see their work. These kinds comments about want P to teach, MMs to do same work as them are v childish, and reflects teachers narrow mindedness. You try export these kind of thinking to private sector and ask the CEP to do data entry. Likely ur the kinda of teacher that is precisely making ur RO having to spend a lot of time to manage u, that’s why he or she need to offload. 😅
exactly. I agree. just post out instead of come here and kpkb. take control of your own life and career.

MMs have a lot of work behind the scenes. i have seen slack ones but there are way more hardworking KPs than slack ones. SLs included too.

in fact there is a lot of falsehoods and nonsense mentioned here. tried to debunk... but even after I helped asked the relevant people and dept to clarify the question, still got people here insist they r correct by basing their info on trend data and urban legends. forget it and i rest my case.

Old 19-11-2023, 01:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Consistently good performance. Aka 3, go ask HR if you are not sure.
called. HR friend said where got 3 years? unless u D grade.

Old 19-11-2023, 01:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If your RO did not speak for you, you would not have gotten straight Bs
precisely. there are other factors at play here.

the poor RO - worked hard for your perf grade and still get maligned.
Old 19-11-2023, 02:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To add on to this solution list:
HODs' books and files MUST be checked, just like how the Subject and Level Heads' books and files are checked. Even if their books and files are not checked, the SLs MUST be curious and ask their HODs in how they lead their trs in teaching practices. Not fairy airy stuff too.. really sound PCK to build rigour and understanding in students. Ask your HODs to show samples of their students' work or Dep PD slides. Nowadays, HODs check trs' books and files but no feedback was given. Yet, the HOD can be given MOE awards. Does it mean when one is on leadership role, the teaching is of lowest priority? One parent shared that her child lost interest and confidence in the subject which was taught by the HOD, resulting in a drop in results. As teachers, who can we feedback to?

SLs shoukd remind their HODs not be biased. Senior Teachers should not be HODs pets. STs should drive pedagogy and assessments in school throughout the year, and not busybody with programmes. Think about how to uplift the bottom and share hpw should the enhanced 21cc should be enacted in classrooms. Role model how to build in rigour in teaching since there is only one final year exam. Cluster sharing is just one-time and the lesson plan and resources are not even shared in dep drive. HODs should encourage their STs to open the classrooms more regularly.
your school's HODs and STs all so jialat? SLs not aware of all these things you mentioned?

how many years have you been in school?
Old 19-11-2023, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
exactly. I agree. just post out instead of come here and kpkb. take control of your own life and career.

MMs have a lot of work behind the scenes. i have seen slack ones but there are way more hardworking KPs than slack ones. SLs included too.

in fact there is a lot of falsehoods and nonsense mentioned here. tried to debunk... but even after I helped asked the relevant people and dept to clarify the question, still got people here insist they r correct by basing their info on trend data and urban legends. forget it and i rest my case.
Agree with this. It's the mentality of "in the only one who's working hard. Everyone else is a slacker." having been in HQ and now as a KP, I realised how wrong I was back when I thought that KPs had an easier life with no CCA or form class.

Old 19-11-2023, 09:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To add on to this solution list:
HODs' books and files MUST be checked, just like how the Subject and Level Heads' books and files are checked. Even if their books and files are not checked, the SLs MUST be curious and ask their HODs in how they lead their trs in teaching practices. Not fairy airy stuff too.. really sound PCK to build rigour and understanding in students. Ask your HODs to show samples of their students' work or Dep PD slides. Nowadays, HODs check trs' books and files but no feedback was given. Yet, the HOD can be given MOE awards. Does it mean when one is on leadership role, the teaching is of lowest priority? One parent shared that her child lost interest and confidence in the subject which was taught by the HOD, resulting in a drop in results. As teachers, who can we feedback to?

SLs shoukd remind their HODs not be biased. Senior Teachers should not be HODs pets. STs should drive pedagogy and assessments in school throughout the year, and not busybody with programmes. Think about how to uplift the bottom and share hpw should the enhanced 21cc should be enacted in classrooms. Role model how to build in rigour in teaching since there is only one final year exam. Cluster sharing is just one-time and the lesson plan and resources are not even shared in dep drive. HODs should encourage their STs to open the classrooms more regularly.
Same scenario in my school. HOD talk only, can show or suggest nothing concrete but want to see this and that in the teachers' lessons. How to execute those, HOD cannot respond. Same with book checks. If HODs know what they want to see, why not role model, show or share examples of their own work, invite some peers to observe how to enact this and that and not just say "You're doing it wrong. I can do this and that in my classroom", show it!
Old 19-11-2023, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Reasons these ppl at the top of foodchain can come up with these strategies is they do not need to teach, handle civics or be managers of CCA, and there can be many of them. Normal and good teachers suffer, and are forced to be FAJTs. Vicious cycle.

Soln:
* Hod should not be offloaded for CCA or civics classes, only then can they deal with the pain of dealing with parents and chaperoning students for competitions while preparing resources for teaching and being accountable for students' learning. Imagine an HoD who leechs on subordinates' teaching materials.
* VP and P should teach at least one class, then there will not be so many different meetings and student issues. Imagine knowing the P and VP are teaching your class or will pass by a corridor to your class.
* How many GEOs would aspire to be KPs if the reward is not less classroom teaching, fewer responsibilities, and having really to lead by example?
Very ridiculous demands. It clearly shows the lack of understanding of the roles of the SHs, HODs and SLs. Granted that there might be some KPs who take a back seat, but I'm sure that this blanket rule is unjust. This is given that some MMs have to invest a lot of time either leading or attending meetings after meetings that other non-appointment holders do not need to attend. Moreover, I've seen MMs who are great at their pedagogical leadership, doing way more resources and taking challenging classes across the two schools I've been posted to.

Also, for SHs, some schools DO NOT even offload them in either teaching, CCA or FT-ship due to manpower constraints. Some HODs are even loaded with FT-ship.

If your school is the 'anomaly' here where you believe that everything is bad, I suggest that you'd either submit a formal complaint (gathering evidence on why KPs are not doing as much as non-appointment holders or their substantive grade, and/or other breach of protocol), or if you know this would not work, apply for open/close posting immediately on your next opportunity.

Sulking and complaining over issues won't make a difference without concrete action.
Old 19-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you are offered FHQ, go for it. During your facilitated HQ stint, you will be given stretch assignments and your career will be actively shaped for progression. That door opens for few, so I wouldn't close it if I were you.

By contrast, do you have clarity on the purpose of going for postgrad studies? It is unlikely to be of much help in terms of progression within MOE.

That said, you know your goals best, so decide based on what works for you.
Thanks! But I’m wondering if by going post-grad, it will “close the door”? Or just delay?

I do appreciate your inputs on clarifying in the value of post-grad in career progression - that it is not of much help in terms of progression.
Old 19-11-2023, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

KPs and SLs are able to give feedback n AFGs during epms sessions, lesson obs, AARs and book checks, but become defensive when feedback given during internal staff surveys and school climate surveys. so much for fairness? shouldn't civil service practice 360 degree feedback to help improve organisation problems and remove blind spots in leadership?