Career as Teacher - Page 110 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Hi, typically in a school year, when does the ranking exercise by KPs + SLs take place?

I heard that it's around August, but not sure if it's true.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

As an incoming Y3 undergrad in NUS, I've decided to apply for MOE TS. But I am just checking if its possible to still apply in Y4S1, or should I do it by Y3?

Also, for PDGE prog, how much will I be paid in any case I actually am rewarded the scholarship? Thank you!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Ultimately, situation will depend on school leaders.

a) Could be almost immediate; could be awhile (if they want to clear other candidates before making a decision).

b) I would assume so (but have no actual experience).

c) Probably the same way they contacted you for the interview (email/message). If they're making a formal offer, they will send it via HRMS and you will need to respond via the system within three working days.

If you find that you would like to request an update from a school (e.g. have received an offer from second choice school, but still waiting for first choice) you can always try contacting them to request for an update (possibly explaining the situation). You should probably only do this if you're prepared to accept an offer from that school, though.

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Hey all. I'm not sure whether this question has been asked before. But it will be great if someone can enlighten me. I have just applied for 4 schools during the open posting exercise. Have been to 2 interviews and 2 more to go next week. I am just wondering:

a) How long will the school take to get back to you if they are interested in accepting you, from the date of interview?

b) Am I right to say that if I do not hear from any of the schools by the last day of the open posting exercise, that means I am being rejected?

c) What is the mode of contact that they will use to get back to me if I'm accepted?

It will be a nail-biting wait for sure. First time applying for open posting after 10 years of being in my one and only school, which explains my noobness in all this.

Will appreciate a response soon!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Not too sure about MOE TS - but if you're keen on it I'd really recommend not relying on an anonymous internet forum for information. Contact MOE directly?

As for PGDE, you'll probably be placed on the GEO2 (untrained) payscale - how high within the payscale will depend on factors like whether you've done NS and the class of honours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Someone shared this awhile ago - not sure if it's been updated since.

p.s. for teachers without any official appointments, salary grade will cap at GEO5.

GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. HOD/MT)
Quote:
Hi,

As an incoming Y3 undergrad in NUS, I've decided to apply for MOE TS. But I am just checking if its possible to still apply in Y4S1, or should I do it by Y3?

Also, for PDGE prog, how much will I be paid in any case I actually am rewarded the scholarship? Thank you!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Aurora is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ultimately, situation will depend on school leaders.

a) Could be almost immediate; could be awhile (if they want to clear other candidates before making a decision).

b) I would assume so (but have no actual experience).

c) Probably the same way they contacted you for the interview (email/message). If they're making a formal offer, they will send it via HRMS and you will need to respond via the system within three working days.

If you find that you would like to request an update from a school (e.g. have received an offer from second choice school, but still waiting for first choice) you can always try contacting them to request for an update (possibly explaining the situation). You should probably only do this if you're prepared to accept an offer from that school, though.

All the best.

Thank you so much for your input and well-wishes!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 PM
wondering

Default Open Posting

Anyone knows when HQ will contact you for an interview? Submitted my application a week ago but no response... Wondering if this means I won't be called at all :-( However a colleague who formerly worked in HQ says HQ is required to interview all applicants, so not sure what to think.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondering View Post
Anyone knows when HQ will contact you for an interview? Submitted my application a week ago but no response... Wondering if this means I won't be called at all :-( However a colleague who formerly worked in HQ says HQ is required to interview all applicants, so not sure what to think.
It is not true that they need to interview all applicants. Once they have offered the position and someone has taken the offer, they will stop interviewing new people.
Old 13-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Untrained Teacher - mid career

Hi all,
I just went to an untrained teacher (Primary- English and Maths) interview yesterday.
Female, aged 50, used to be from media advertising sector as a Director.
Decided that I want to pursue teaching to help shape the younger generation.

I was given a checklist of documents for submission prior to the interview date and I followed that strictly. It did not even think I could submit additional supportive documents.
The 3-part interview went well. But before the interview took place, the admin person who checked the submitted documents actually asked me if I have any additional documents over and above the checklist to submit.

This sets me thinking the whole day after the interview if I have submitted my previous job employment letters with stated offered salary, would it have help MOE to decide on my starting pay? Or does MOE HR already has a set salary range that they followed when deciding how much to offer candidates?

Just wondering if it would have helped them to offer me a higher end of the salary range if I have submitted additional documents....as I have fixed cost such as home mortgage, children’s university education fees and car that I have to pay too.

Appreciate if any MOE HR or past interviewees could share their experience or thoughts. Great thanks in advance.
Confused
Old 13-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

Smile

It will take up to 8 weeks for MOE to revert to you if you are shortlisted for an interview.
I got my interview notification within 3 weeks of application.
Old 13-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Untrained teacher- mid career

Hi all,
I just went for an untrained teacher interview yesterday.
Female, aged 50, have 26 years of media advertising work experience.
Last few job positions held are Director, business Director, Strategy Director.
Decided to switch to teaching as I love to work with children and have passion in teaching
And founded a tuition centre and taught all primary level for all subjects for 6 years previously.
Shortlisted to teach primary English and Maths.

Before the interview, we were requested to submit some documents according to a given checklist. I followed this list strictly and did not think I could submit additional documents over and above what was requested in the list.

But the officer checking the documents asked me if I have any additional documents to submit.

My questions are:
- If I submit additional documents eg previous job appointment with offered salary, would it actually help MOE to determine the salary offered to us eventually? Obviously all of us have commitment on fixed housing loan, car loans, children’s education etc etc.
- Will this increase my chances of getting the higher end of untrained teacher salary? Understand that MOE HR has a salary scale to follow.

Appreciate if there is any MOE HR here advise me or any past interviewees could share their experiences too.

Grateful for any help/advice.

Confused