Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 06-02-2024, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
s://.moe.gov.sg/-/media/files/post-secondary/ges-2022/web-publication-ntu-ges-2022.ashx

It looks like the 3.6k figure quoted in this thread is accurate and aligned with the MOE data.

My goodness, Accountancy has one of the lowest median starting salaries.
3.6k to work 16 hours a day.
There is no such thing as off peak nowadays when manpower issue is evident from the lack of graduates in 20s joining audit. So get ready to lose your youth for 3.6k in 2024.

Friendly advice. Dont study accountancy degree when your company hires jhk, acca, non accountancy grads. Its a red flag as a potential employer

Old 06-02-2024, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I’m probably among the younger ones here.

I see what you’re saying, but “late 30s” is not what we look at. The Graduate Employment Survey shows starting salaries so there is a greater emphasis on that.

With social media, people want to show they are having fun in 20s. Guys are already 25 after graduation, there’s only a few years to travel and have fun and we don’t want to spend those time OTing.

There is also no promise or guarantee of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So it just seems all very risky to me. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
i am probably one of the older ones here. and i too understand that there has been a shift in demographics. it is for the big 4 to adapt

nevertheless, end of the day as long as you can "project" how much salary you need in life to be comfortable, and how you get there, everything else is just noise. i wanted to hit 100k annual by mid 30s, and audit was the "safest" way to get there, during my time at least. but if someone else is okay to get to that number at the age of 40ish so be it, there are many other career pathways that will get you there, your boat your strokes.

and end of the day, all this comparison only does every industry good. higher pay just means there is more demand, lower pay means that the demand is just not there and the never ending war for talent continues. so there is nothing to complain really, the job market does a good job of sorting people by their skill level and compensates them fairly.

all businesses are trying to get the necessary level of talent for the lowest level of cost. if the audit partners deem that this cost is 3.6k for an associate, you are simply just worth that much, if not just pack your bag and find something with higher pay, if you cant get that it just simply means you are not skilled enough.

this forum wasnt a shitting ground for audit in the past, there was more meaningful advice being dished out

Old 06-02-2024, 11:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i am probably one of the older ones here. and i too understand that there has been a shift in demographics. it is for the big 4 to adapt

nevertheless, end of the day as long as you can "project" how much salary you need in life to be comfortable, and how you get there, everything else is just noise. i wanted to hit 100k annual by mid 30s, and audit was the "safest" way to get there, during my time at least. but if someone else is okay to get to that number at the age of 40ish so be it, there are many other career pathways that will get you there, your boat your strokes.

and end of the day, all this comparison only does every industry good. higher pay just means there is more demand, lower pay means that the demand is just not there and the never ending war for talent continues. so there is nothing to complain really, the job market does a good job of sorting people by their skill level and compensates them fairly.

all businesses are trying to get the necessary level of talent for the lowest level of cost. if the audit partners deem that this cost is 3.6k for an associate, you are simply just worth that much, if not just pack your bag and find something with higher pay, if you cant get that it just simply means you are not skilled enough.

this forum wasnt a shitting ground for audit in the past, there was more meaningful advice being dished out
100k annually but no life
I would rather not trade my 20s and 30s away for this
What is the trade off? Its not like its a sustainable career. U missed out on way more than what u gain from the 100k.

1) Family goals
2) Relationship goals
3) Hobbies
4) Travel goals
5) Health
6) Sleep

Old 06-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hmm I would input among my friends, none of us really thinks about 30s and 40s.

If you what you’re implying about higher pay later on is true, the schools could also do like a survey for 10 years later and provide more information than just starting salaries.

But even so, I still believe a higher starting off the bat is better than potential higher earnings later.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Even if you promoted to manager/ SM and have a more decent salary
But the hours are still insanely long
And with the declining number of graduates taking up audit roles
Life of a manager is bad

Worst still, you can't leave because there isnt much exit opportunities out there.
Very likely have to take a pay cut

When you get out there in your mid 30s or late 30s, the prime of your life is already over.
No point in that
Old 06-02-2024, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Even if you promoted to manager/ SM and have a more decent salary
But the hours are still insanely long
And with the declining number of graduates taking up audit roles
Life of a manager is bad

Worst still, you can't leave because there isnt much exit opportunities out there.
Very likely have to take a pay cut

When you get out there in your mid 30s or late 30s, the prime of your life is already over.
No point in that
What is the monthly basic salary for manager and senior manager? And how much bonus? Why do you think cannot match the pay?

Old 06-02-2024, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What is the monthly basic salary for manager and senior manager? And how much bonus? Why do you think cannot match the pay?
u think this one Q&A?
rofl
no one bothers to answer u
Old 06-02-2024, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
u think this one Q&A?
rofl
no one bothers to answer u
This is salary forum, whats wrong with asking?
Old 06-02-2024, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

yeah, this forum was a pretty nice place with good advice back when i first joined audit. people grumbled about it but it wasn't that bleak. now it's just a bunch of salty students trolling.

but with the quality of most grads these days, 3.6k is fine if wlb is decent. most have **** social skills thanks to the pandemic, massive entitlement, and most importantly short attention span thanks to tiktok which makes it so difficult to teach them. the good ones are naturally snatched up but the remaining tend to have inflated egos.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I’m probably among the younger ones here.

I see what you’re saying, but “late 30s” is not what we look at. The Graduate Employment Survey shows starting salaries so there is a greater emphasis on that.

With social media, people want to show they are having fun in 20s. Guys are already 25 after graduation, there’s only a few years to travel and have fun and we don’t want to spend those time OTing.

There is also no promise or guarantee of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So it just seems all very risky to me. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
Hi. I am the original poster your reply that you quoted.

What make you think audit cant have fun/travel.

Myself , spend travelling to various countries for vacation during my audit off peak time schedule

Europe 3 times already 2017/2019/2023 ( watch epl)
Maldives
Tw, hk, korea,

Was in audit for the past 10 years,

Sorry, if one continue/stay in audit, he will easily break 100k by 30/31.
Commercial will need longer to break 100k pa hence i wrote late 30s

Late 30s in audit will be around 130k pa and up ( by the time you should be audit director/audit partner if u on track)

My boss, who is audit partner, did the same every year, go for long break travel during his off peak based on his schedule

Work hard and enjoy hard,

My 2cent, there is no one size fit all, just audit is a “safe” route.
Dont get me wrong , Commercial progress sometime can be faster than audit depending on luck, or you forever stuck at low payscale

This is coming from someone who have left audit, i still keep my door open if i will go back to audit within the next 2 years, however if i decide to go back audit, partner will be the goal