Passive income ideas? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Passive income ideas?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
larry100 is on a distinguished road
Default Passive income ideas?

What are some good ideas to generate passive income. I think passive income is one of the best ways to retire young and live a good life as you don't have to work long hours.

So far, I can only think of investing in property as passive income. Are there any other ways?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sell your house, buy bitcoin and wait for the peak

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry100 View Post
What are some good ideas to generate passive income. I think passive income is one of the best ways to retire young and live a good life as you don't have to work long hours.

So far, I can only think of investing in property as passive income. Are there any other ways?
REITS and high-dividend yield stocks.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How much do you have currently? Also how much do you expect to save for investment every year? What sort of return are you looking for every year?

You need to give everyone a rough idea of your financial situation as not everything is suitable or available to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 22
prashantcoupons is on a distinguished road
Default Short time earning

Invest your Cryto coin and wait also you can invest in share market . These are nice ideas to earn a lot of money.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 AM
knutux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I do believe what dropshipping is a nice way to generate a passive income - find a niche, setup a store and hire some virtual assistant to maintain it.
But my ultimate goal is diversified passive income streams (blog, online store, stock market, etc)
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutux View Post
I do believe what dropshipping is a nice way to generate a passive income - find a niche, setup a store and hire some virtual assistant to maintain it.
But my ultimate goal is diversified passive income streams (blog, online store, stock market, etc)
What you suggested above are not passive incomes. They are side incomes which require a fair amount of effort.

Passive incomes are those incomes where you only put in initial effort like long term stock investment where you get regular dividend income. Or rental income from property - initial effort to get tenant, sit back for 1 to 2 years and receive rental income. Then get new tenant. This part of the work, pay an agent to do it.

Another way is to earn income through royalty from book sales. But you have to first write a good book that people want to buy and read.

I have been investing for passive incomes from the very first day I started work.

After 33 long years of nurturing and building up my investment for passive income, I have seen my passive income steadily rising from $20K 13 years ago to $165K of passive income for 2017. It has not been easy but it is not impossible either.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What you suggested above are not passive incomes. They are side incomes which require a fair amount of effort.

Passive incomes are those incomes where you only put in initial effort like long term stock investment where you get regular dividend income. Or rental income from property - initial effort to get tenant, sit back for 1 to 2 years and receive rental income. Then get new tenant. This part of the work, pay an agent to do it.

Another way is to earn income through royalty from book sales. But you have to first write a good book that people want to buy and read.

I have been investing for passive incomes from the very first day I started work.

After 33 long years of nurturing and building up my investment for passive income, I have seen my passive income steadily rising from $20K 13 years ago to $165K of passive income for 2017. It has not been easy but it is not impossible either.
Not bad, I am 37 yo and only getting 50k from dividends this year. Hope to reach your level by 50 yo.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Size matters

When it comes to investing for passive income, the size of your investing capital matters - a lot!

Simple maths will tell you:

Passive Income_____ROI____Investment Capital required
$50k_____________5%_____$1,000,000
$100K____________5%_____$2,000,000

$50k_____________4%_____$1,250,000
$100k____________4%_____$2,500,000

$50k_____________3%_____$1,670,000
$100k____________3%_____$3,340,000

For us as we are approaching retirement, we started to move towards less risky investments which unfortunately comes with lower ROIs. Quite a big proportion of our investment capital are in low yield but very safe investment instruments such as AAA bonds, CPF and SSB. While those sums that were already invested in the stock market are still kept there to generate dividend income.

Even with this mix, we were able to achieve $165k in passive income, which enables us to save 100% of our salary.

Unless one is born into a wealthy family, building up a sizeable investment capital takes time (decades) and discipline. A strong will power to resist lifestyle inflation when your salary increases and when your passive income grows! It has been a 33 year journey for us thus far.

A lot of discipline, sacrifices, yes, but also a lot of satisfaction when you see target after target being achieved.

We do reward ourselves once in a while, for example when our passive income hits $40k, we treated ourselves to a long enjoyable holiday to the US. When the passive income hit $120k, we bought ourselves a new car with it. Felt very good that we didnt have to "work" for that car!

But mostly, we reinvested our passive income to allow the magic of compounding to work.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When it comes to investing for passive income, the size of your investing capital matters - a lot!

Simple maths will tell you:

Passive Income_____ROI____Investment Capital required
$50k_____________5%_____$1,000,000
$100K____________5%_____$2,000,000

$50k_____________4%_____$1,250,000
$100k____________4%_____$2,500,000

$50k_____________3%_____$1,670,000
$100k____________3%_____$3,340,000

For us as we are approaching retirement, we started to move towards less risky investments which unfortunately comes with lower ROIs. Quite a big proportion of our investment capital are in low yield but very safe investment instruments such as AAA bonds, CPF and SSB. While those sums that were already invested in the stock market are still kept there to generate dividend income.

Even with this mix, we were able to achieve $165k in passive income, which enables us to save 100% of our salary.

Unless one is born into a wealthy family, building up a sizeable investment capital takes time (decades) and discipline. A strong will power to resist lifestyle inflation when your salary increases and when your passive income grows! It has been a 33 year journey for us thus far.

A lot of discipline, sacrifices, yes, but also a lot of satisfaction when you see target after target being achieved.

We do reward ourselves once in a while, for example when our passive income hits $40k, we treated ourselves to a long enjoyable holiday to the US. When the passive income hit $120k, we bought ourselves a new car with it. Felt very good that we didnt have to "work" for that car!

But mostly, we reinvested our passive income to allow the magic of compounding to work.
Haha yar we did the same thing as well. Decided to do a big renovation of our house when our passive income hit $150k, feels good that it is "free"!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much is your annual passive income? Shinkong Income and Jobs 178 01-12-2018 02:45 PM
Passive Income - Thoughts? Reinis10 Income and Jobs 0 07-11-2017 11:44 PM
Passive Income - Unstoppable Success kelvin2396 Marketplace and Find Work 0 19-08-2015 06:02 PM
Passive Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 44 09-07-2014 11:32 PM
Active Income vs Passive Income admin Income and Jobs 1 12-05-2014 02:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,247 Replies, 2,749,258 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 448,292 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 17,643 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
619 Replies, 462,186 Views
Q: Big 4 Hiring Status
0 Replies, 152 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 4,252 Views
What course should I undertake?
9 Replies, 4,417 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,734 Replies, 1,649,083 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
990 Replies, 771,999 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
724 Replies, 221,451 Views
Advantages
2 Replies, 1,034 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 121,015 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
7 Replies, 468 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,343 Replies, 5,677,395 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,289 Replies, 1,006,916 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,832 Replies, 283,875 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 34,677 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,670 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,953 Replies, 3,760,564 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 3,066 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 27,392 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,346 Replies, 1,936,826 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
410 Replies, 296,225 Views
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,987 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,104,163 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 92,053 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 588 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2