Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Passive income ideas? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10125-passive-income-ideas.html)

larry100 06-02-2018 01:35 PM

Passive income ideas?

What are some good ideas to generate passive income. I think passive income is one of the best ways to retire young and live a good life as you don't have to work long hours.

So far, I can only think of investing in property as passive income. Are there any other ways?

Unregistered 06-02-2018 11:01 PM

Sell your house, buy bitcoin and wait for the peak

Unregistered 07-02-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry100 (Post 104428)
What are some good ideas to generate passive income. I think passive income is one of the best ways to retire young and live a good life as you don't have to work long hours.

So far, I can only think of investing in property as passive income. Are there any other ways?

REITS and high-dividend yield stocks.

Unregistered 07-02-2018 03:01 PM

How much do you have currently? Also how much do you expect to save for investment every year? What sort of return are you looking for every year?

You need to give everyone a rough idea of your financial situation as not everything is suitable or available to everyone.

prashantcoupons 09-02-2018 02:26 PM

Short time earning

Invest your Cryto coin and wait also you can invest in share market . These are nice ideas to earn a lot of money.

knutux 03-05-2018 04:41 AM

I do believe what dropshipping is a nice way to generate a passive income - find a niche, setup a store and hire some virtual assistant to maintain it.
But my ultimate goal is diversified passive income streams (blog, online store, stock market, etc)

Unregistered 04-05-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knutux (Post 107031)
I do believe what dropshipping is a nice way to generate a passive income - find a niche, setup a store and hire some virtual assistant to maintain it.
But my ultimate goal is diversified passive income streams (blog, online store, stock market, etc)

What you suggested above are not passive incomes. They are side incomes which require a fair amount of effort.

Passive incomes are those incomes where you only put in initial effort like long term stock investment where you get regular dividend income. Or rental income from property - initial effort to get tenant, sit back for 1 to 2 years and receive rental income. Then get new tenant. This part of the work, pay an agent to do it.

Another way is to earn income through royalty from book sales. But you have to first write a good book that people want to buy and read.

I have been investing for passive incomes from the very first day I started work.

After 33 long years of nurturing and building up my investment for passive income, I have seen my passive income steadily rising from $20K 13 years ago to $165K of passive income for 2017. It has not been easy but it is not impossible either.

Unregistered 05-05-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107055)
What you suggested above are not passive incomes. They are side incomes which require a fair amount of effort.

Passive incomes are those incomes where you only put in initial effort like long term stock investment where you get regular dividend income. Or rental income from property - initial effort to get tenant, sit back for 1 to 2 years and receive rental income. Then get new tenant. This part of the work, pay an agent to do it.

Another way is to earn income through royalty from book sales. But you have to first write a good book that people want to buy and read.

I have been investing for passive incomes from the very first day I started work.

After 33 long years of nurturing and building up my investment for passive income, I have seen my passive income steadily rising from $20K 13 years ago to $165K of passive income for 2017. It has not been easy but it is not impossible either.

Not bad, I am 37 yo and only getting 50k from dividends this year. Hope to reach your level by 50 yo.

Unregistered 06-05-2018 10:25 AM

Size matters

When it comes to investing for passive income, the size of your investing capital matters - a lot!

Simple maths will tell you:

Passive Income_____ROI____Investment Capital required
$50k_____________5%_____$1,000,000
$100K____________5%_____$2,000,000

$50k_____________4%_____$1,250,000
$100k____________4%_____$2,500,000

$50k_____________3%_____$1,670,000
$100k____________3%_____$3,340,000

For us as we are approaching retirement, we started to move towards less risky investments which unfortunately comes with lower ROIs. Quite a big proportion of our investment capital are in low yield but very safe investment instruments such as AAA bonds, CPF and SSB. While those sums that were already invested in the stock market are still kept there to generate dividend income.

Even with this mix, we were able to achieve $165k in passive income, which enables us to save 100% of our salary.

Unless one is born into a wealthy family, building up a sizeable investment capital takes time (decades) and discipline. A strong will power to resist lifestyle inflation when your salary increases and when your passive income grows! It has been a 33 year journey for us thus far.

A lot of discipline, sacrifices, yes, but also a lot of satisfaction when you see target after target being achieved.

We do reward ourselves once in a while, for example when our passive income hits $40k, we treated ourselves to a long enjoyable holiday to the US. When the passive income hit $120k, we bought ourselves a new car with it. Felt very good that we didnt have to "work" for that car!

But mostly, we reinvested our passive income to allow the magic of compounding to work.

Unregistered 06-05-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107098)
When it comes to investing for passive income, the size of your investing capital matters - a lot!

Simple maths will tell you:

Passive Income_____ROI____Investment Capital required
$50k_____________5%_____$1,000,000
$100K____________5%_____$2,000,000

$50k_____________4%_____$1,250,000
$100k____________4%_____$2,500,000

$50k_____________3%_____$1,670,000
$100k____________3%_____$3,340,000

For us as we are approaching retirement, we started to move towards less risky investments which unfortunately comes with lower ROIs. Quite a big proportion of our investment capital are in low yield but very safe investment instruments such as AAA bonds, CPF and SSB. While those sums that were already invested in the stock market are still kept there to generate dividend income.

Even with this mix, we were able to achieve $165k in passive income, which enables us to save 100% of our salary.

Unless one is born into a wealthy family, building up a sizeable investment capital takes time (decades) and discipline. A strong will power to resist lifestyle inflation when your salary increases and when your passive income grows! It has been a 33 year journey for us thus far.

A lot of discipline, sacrifices, yes, but also a lot of satisfaction when you see target after target being achieved.

We do reward ourselves once in a while, for example when our passive income hits $40k, we treated ourselves to a long enjoyable holiday to the US. When the passive income hit $120k, we bought ourselves a new car with it. Felt very good that we didnt have to "work" for that car!

But mostly, we reinvested our passive income to allow the magic of compounding to work.

Haha yar we did the same thing as well. Decided to do a big renovation of our house when our passive income hit $150k, feels good that it is "free"!