Rejected by UniSIM - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Rejected by UniSIM

Old 16-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Default Lol

I got a shock when i read the above posts..lol I graduated from local uni with good honours about 6 years ago and i can't believe this stupid,arrogant belief that JC students are "better" than poly students still exist in this day!! Looks like our education system hasn't changed much from the past

Guys, on behalf of all the working adults reading this forum, let me give it to you straight.
It doesn't matter whether you grad from poly, JC, local or private uni once you start working.
It's about your hard work, determination to succeed, intelligence, people skills, family background (think mum-dad sponsorship to study Masters in US, take over family business etc), connections. Nobody will freaking care you from which JC!!!

Old 16-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I got a shock when i read the above posts..lol I graduated from local uni with good honours about 6 years ago and i can't believe this stupid,arrogant belief that JC students are "better" than poly students still exist in this day!! Looks like our education system hasn't changed much from the past

Guys, on behalf of all the working adults reading this forum, let me give it to you straight.
It doesn't matter whether you grad from poly, JC, local or private uni once you start working.
It's about your hard work, determination to succeed, intelligence, people skills, family background (think mum-dad sponsorship to study Masters in US, take over family business etc), connections. Nobody will freaking care you from which JC!!!
Yes yes. Tell that to my army regular friends. RJC>sign-on>cambridge>commissioned as captain>major. Took him only 7 years, including his studies. Compared to another friend from private uni instead, 7 years just promoted to captain only. Both on different tracks. Based on what? Their academic qualifications. Sorry, your argument is invalid in most workplaces where they favour those who have a better degree.

Old 16-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

JC doesn't matter. No one cares what pri/ sec/JC you go to. But degree? Of course they will discriminate. Local vs private. Many employers do. If they don't then why can't private degree holders go into public sector? Please wake up.

Old 16-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

If degree really don't matter, then no one will want to go to NUS/NTU/SMU anymore to do a difficult 4 year degree. Might as well go SIM or PSB to do some 'chapalang' 1 year or 2 year degree. Because all the same right?
Old 16-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

I know you meant well, but you shot off your mouth (or keyboard) too fast. Yes, the route to a uni may not be important, for eg JC or poly grads can get into uni if their grades are good enough. I have friends from the poly eventually graduating with PhDs from MIT and Stanford. Many poly grads are also graduating with first class honors from NUS.

But to get employed, your degree from which uni matters. Only when you get employed then the work performance, your ability to see the big picture, your ability to grasp new concepts all count more than that degree.

That said, a company or the govt would still be biased towards their scholars giving them the first go at high visibility projects. Non scholars will really have to work hard to get noticed.

There are those who were not even called up for interviews because their uni were not on the recognized list.

Quote:

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-02-2014, 02:44 PM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

I read the posts and found them all so laughable.

What's all the fuss about, really?

If you have no work experience whatsoever, of course your highest qualification, wherever you get it from, grades, and achievements matters regardless of whether you're applying for further education or a job.

What a waste of bandwidth.

Old 17-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:

well said. many here are just kids, just let them assume this and that, they will get it in the future.
Old 17-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Default Lol

Couldn't resist replying the above posts..

Guys, i concede that a local uni degree is important ONLY if you want to work in the govt sector. Yes the govt sector will look at how many As you scored but for MOST private sector jobs, your work experience is more important than what jc/poly/pte/local uni you grad from.

Unless you're a PSC/SAFOs scholar or in admin service, you will realise you don't really make a lot of money in the govt sector. Do you know how much do the top 20% of commodities traders, insurance agents, bankers and many other private sector guys make in a year? As compared to your top 20% of govt workers? You will know once you work long enough..
Old 18-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

Precisely, pls let everyone know, so that the mass wont kpkb about our govt v high pay.
Quote:
Couldn't resist replying the above posts..

Guys, i concede that a local uni degree is important ONLY if you want to work in the govt sector. Yes the govt sector will look at how many As you scored but for MOST private sector jobs, your work experience is more important than what jc/poly/pte/local uni you grad from.

Unless you're a PSC/SAFOs scholar or in admin service, you will realise you don't really make a lot of money in the govt sector. Do you know how much do the top 20% of commodities traders, insurance agents, bankers and many other private sector guys make in a year? As compared to your top 20% of govt workers? You will know once you work long enough..
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

How good is a degree if you can't even hold on to a job? Ask yourselve a question... I have seen in person a first class grad from a local uni which is from so call well known jc work under a non grad personal.... so ask yourselve a question... how good is your degree??