Rejected by UniSIM - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Rejected by UniSIM

Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For JC students, the intake is traditionally known to be at least ~80% of each JC cohort.
not so much lah, dun think even gt half.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Honestly, nothing much has changed. What they did is that they increased the no. of places across the board. More JC & poly students & even foreigners are able to make it into uni now, because as a whole more places are available. For JC students, the intake is traditionally known to be at least ~80% of each JC cohort. For diploma holders, increased uni intake for diploma holders means currently ~10+% from each cohort make it instead of the previous ~5%.

With like 4-5 JCs made up entirely of L1R5 single pointers, as compared to the handful of single pointers who choose the poly route, it's still a good assumption that the best students in Singapore are in the JCs. A JC student is more likely to be picked because he's better academically to begin with. It's not because he was from a JC. You've to realise that a lot of those in the polys still do not qualify for a JC even if they wanted to go to a JC.
Actually, if you see the L1R5 requirement for JCs now, many of the JCs have improved greatly. There are now like 12 JCs that require 10 points and below. This is not inclusive of schools like River Valley High that have students take A-levels straight and do not take in any O-level students in. So yeah, there are a lot of smart kids going to JCs. Much more than those going to poly. More than half of a those taking A-levels got 10 points and below for O-levels. So yes, to put it simply, JC students are smarter in general, no offence to poly students.

But still, I have to say that the local uni intakes right now are pretty balanced. In terms of engineering, where I'm from, the ratio of JC students to poly students is about 3:1, the sciences are about there as well. However, in terms of humanities and social sciences, the poly students are lacking. This is not surprising considering that there are little to no diplomas that gear you towards reading humanities. So

As for Unisim, I can guarantee that there are more poly students there. It is generally geared towards working adults who want to upgrade to a degree. And as we know, A-level holders can go to workforce with just an A-level cert, so most of those in unisim are diploma holders from poly.

On top of that, poly students still have SIT, which is now a local uni. SIT is more geared towards poly students and the ratio there is very much biased towards poly students. The ratio there is about 1:10 at least.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
As for Unisim, I can guarantee that there are more poly students there. It is generally geared towards working adults who want to upgrade to a degree. And as we know, A-level holders can go to workforce with just an A-level cert, so most of those in unisim are diploma holders from poly.

On top of that, poly students still have SIT, which is now a local uni. SIT is more geared towards poly students and the ratio there is very much biased towards poly students. The ratio there is about 1:10 at least.
If a large majority of the JC students end up in NUS, NTU & SMU, there just isn't enough of them to go to the other unis. Traditionally, 80+% of each JC cohort makes it into these 3 unis.

Imo, unisim/SIT are made up mostly of poly students they form the biggest group that cannot qualify for NUS, NTU or SMU. It's not that Unisim/SIT prefers poly students.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If a large majority of the JC students end up in NUS, NTU & SMU, there just isn't enough of them to go to the other unis. Traditionally, 80+% of each JC cohort makes it into these 3 unis.

Imo, unisim/SIT are made up mostly of poly students they form the biggest group that cannot qualify for NUS, NTU or SMU. It's not that Unisim/SIT prefers poly students.
Sorry, I have to disagree with your opinion. I applied to both NTU and SIT-TUM as a JC student. I was rejected by SIT but given an offer by NTU. So no, its not because they are rejected and go to SIT, because SIT also has stringent criterias and are also biased towards poly students.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Traditionally, 80+% of each JC cohort makes it into these 3 unis.

Was told by my teacher last time only about 50+% of each JC cohort enter the local unis. There are places allocated for poly students, international students and 10% for discretionary admissions. The discretionary admissions do exist, I've personally seen people with 'less than average' grades in NUS, almost all of them told me they apply thru discretionary admissions but they do excel in some other areas.

As for UniSIM/SIT, it's not that they prefer poly students. The current progs at UniSIM (not the full time progs coming up) are catered for working adults w/o degree, most are prob poly grads since they would have been able to go out to work first with a diploma rather than A level. SIT is primarily set up for poly grads.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, I have to disagree with your opinion. I applied to both NTU and SIT-TUM as a JC student. I was rejected by SIT but given an offer by NTU. So no, its not because they are rejected and go to SIT, because SIT also has stringent criterias and are also biased towards poly students.
Ok, just use your brain for a second. (You sure you're not from a poly?) The info you've provided here is not sufficient to prove that SIT prefers poly students. The only info we have here is that YOU didnt make it in. We've no idea about the breakdown of those who sucessfully got into SIT-TUM. So, how do we conclude anything? It's entirely possble that you didnt make it because youre a weak candidate. Different courses in diff unis do have different entry requirements. Surely if you have mediocre grades, you will safely make it into a dumping ground course in NTU but not make it into a more popular course in SIT, which would admit better JC students than yourself.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ok, just use your brain for a second. (You sure you're not from a poly?) The info you've provided here is not sufficient to prove that SIT prefers poly students. The only info we have here is that YOU didnt make it in. We've no idea about the breakdown of those who sucessfully got into SIT-TUM. So, how do we conclude anything? It's entirely possble that you didnt make it because youre a weak candidate. Different courses in diff unis do have different entry requirements. Surely if you have mediocre grades, you will safely make it into a dumping ground course in NTU but not make it into a more popular course in SIT, which would admit better JC students than yourself.
1) You claimed previously that the reason why SIT took in more poly students was because all the JC students go into NUS, NTU, SMU, hence, there will be none or little of them left that will go to SIT.

2)Presumably, those who did not get into the big 3 were rejected and hence, moved on to SIT like you said.

3)Means according to you, SIT is a dumping ground for JC applicants.

4)I was trying to prove that this was not the case, because I got into NTU engine but was rejected by SIT engine. So they must have roughly the same requirements since its roughly the same course.

5)No, no matter how much we debate here on this stupid forum, none of us will ever know the true statistics. The universities will not release their statistics either. Hence, I was just giving a personal experience for which people could relate to.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Was told by my teacher last time only about 50+% of each JC cohort enter the local unis.
I was told by my teacher that if I didn't work hard in school, I would end up in a poly.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was told by my teacher that if I didn't work hard in school, I would end up in a poly.
Huh siao...im from jc but do u know certain courses in poly like international biz need perfect score to enter?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Huh siao...im from jc but do u know certain courses in poly like international biz need perfect score to enter?
Do you know that schools like HCI, RJC, NJC and VJC need BETTER than a perfect 6A1s to get in?