Whats your net worth - Page 196 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by financialfreedom View Post
26 years old, no HDB, no liabilities.
Annual salary: $60k (sales job)
Cash: $60k
Investment: $30k
CPF: $81k

How did so many of you achieved millions of nett worth? It seems so far away with what I'm earning right now...
by firing cannon and become a keyboard warrior.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

if you need to insist that you're successful and satisfied with life, you aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's all these bickering all about? Let me tell you guys. The successful dudes retire early and spend the rest of their lives enjoying the good life while doing some good in society.

When I first started working, I told myself that I will work hard and be a good investor so that I can retire early. I wanted to retire by 40. However, I could not do it earlier but I finally did when I was 43. Now I am 48, happily retired from the busy corporate world. Been there, done that.

Now I enjoy my stocks dividends, enough to feed my family. I spend time with the kids, educate them with right moral values and teach them how to invest like a pro. I work out in the condo gym and swim in the big empty pool. At times, I do some social work to tend to the poor. Best of all I go for holidays once in 3 months. Even though I am a MULTI millionaire, I drive a not-so-expensive conti car. I also take the bus and MRT. Why should I waste a million dollars on a sports car?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if you need to insist that you're successful and satisfied with life, you aren't.
Hrmm yeah heard the line repeated many times, retired, exercise, social work etc, and my favorite MULTI in caps no less

Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

I am 58 and wife is 62. We are planning to retire next year as we now have passive income from stocks. My passive income is $35k pa and my wife's passive income is $25k pa. We spend only $50k pa. Our flat is paid up. Our net worth in total is $1.68m.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

44, net worth $1.8m. Spouse, 42, net worth $0.7m.
Condo and car paid up.
Target net worth by 55 $5m.
Will retire at 55.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
44, net worth $1.8m. Spouse, 42, net worth $0.7m.
Condo and car paid up.
Target net worth by 55 $5m.
Will retire at 55.
Trust me, you won't retire when you reach 55 and achieve your $5m target. That's what we thought when we were 50, always counting our savings and telling ourselves we'll retire at 55.

Now that we have achieved our savings target, somehow the level of stress seems less and work does not look too bad. The mere fact that we could simply walk away from our job knowing that we have enough to live comfortably for the rest of our lives make things at work more tolerable.

Once you hit that savings target, it gets better from there. The rate of increase in savings get faster. You will be surprised how easy it is to hit $6m when you achieve $5m, especially when the money is working hard for you. That's why they say the rich gets richer.

We are now contemplating retiring at 60, and based on our savings rate trajectory, we think hitting $7m - $7.5m is highly possible. Remember by then your children could be contributing to the household as well thereby reducing your expenses, and increasing your savings!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Unregistered

Good morning,

I read in the papers someone died at 63.

I am 45 and already retired. Passive income more than enough to cover annual expenses. Now I am healthier, fitter and less stressed. Doctor said I will die young if I continued with my previous job lifestyle. So I decided to retire early given the millions in wealth. My work at home now involves investing, which is so much less stressful. My wealth is now growing at 10% pa. Debt free.

I dont drive as my condo is just next to an MRT station, which can bring me to town faster than driving and less headache without parking. I avoid the crowd as I travel at non peak hours. My expenses also plunged as I am not working in the CBD any more.

Besides investing, I keep my self busy in planning where is my next travel adventure. Also planning to take up many new sports.

Wish you luck.

Quote:
Trust me, you won't retire when you reach 55 and achieve your $5m target. That's what we thought when we were 50, always counting our savings and telling ourselves we'll retire at 55.

Now that we have achieved our savings target, somehow the level of stress seems less and work does not look too bad. The mere fact that we could simply walk away from our job knowing that we have enough to live comfortably for the rest of our lives make things at work more tolerable.

Once you hit that savings target, it gets better from there. The rate of increase in savings get faster. You will be surprised how easy it is to hit $6m when you achieve $5m, especially when the money is working hard for you. That's why they say the rich gets richer.

We are now contemplating retiring at 60, and based on our savings rate trajectory, we think hitting $7m - $7.5m is highly possible. Remember by then your children could be contributing to the household as well thereby reducing your expenses, and increasing your savings!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

Did you also read in Straits Times today that 450,000 pioneer generation of Singaporeans are receiving aid for their medical expenses for their contributions to Singapore?

To qualify they have to be 65 years old and above. Many are living beyond 85!

It is difficult to retire when your stress level drop and you see that the money you saved and invested give you compounded returns year after year. Some more how to retire when you just upgraded from a Camry to a Merc?

Quote:
Good morning,

I read in the papers someone died at 63.

I am 45 and already retired. Passive income more than enough to cover annual expenses. Now I am healthier, fitter and less stressed. Doctor said I will die young if I continued with my previous job lifestyle. So I decided to retire early given the millions in wealth. My work at home now involves investing, which is so much less stressful. My wealth is now growing at 10% pa. Debt free.

I dont drive as my condo is just next to an MRT station, which can bring me to town faster than driving and less headache without parking. I avoid the crowd as I travel at non peak hours. My expenses also plunged as I am not working in the CBD any more.

Besides investing, I keep my self busy in planning where is my next travel adventure. Also planning to take up many new sports.

Wish you luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Unregistered

Those in highly stressed jobs will die in their 60s.

Quote:
Did you also read in Straits Times today that 450,000 pioneer generation of Singaporeans are receiving aid for their medical expenses for their contributions to Singapore?

To qualify they have to be 65 years old and above. Many are living beyond 85!

It is difficult to retire when your stress level drop and you see that the money you saved and invested give you compounded returns year after year. Some more how to retire when you just upgraded from a Camry to a Merc?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

Stress increases 'risk of death five-fold'

Stress increases the chances of dying from heart-related problems by five-fold, a
study has found.

Stress increases the risk of dying, research has found.

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
09 Sep 2010

Researchers have found that people aged 65 or older were five times more likely to die
within the six year follow-up period if they had high levels of stress hormones.

They were more likely to die from cardiovascular disease, such as heart attacks, heart failure and strokes, but not more likely to die from other causes such as cancer, it was found.

Short-term stress is thought to be good for health but chronic long-term stress can lead to
damage in the lining of the blood vessels.

Stress can also raise blood pressure and cholesterol which are known to be harmful to the
heart and stressed people tend to eat a poorer diet and may be more likely to smoke.

Researchers at VU University Medical Center in The Netherlands, measured levels of the
stress hormone, cortisol, in the urine of 861 people aged 65 or older. The measurement was
taken once over a 24-hour period.

They were then tracked for six years and any deaths recorded.

It was found that those with the highest levels of cortisol in their urine were five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than those with the lowest levels.

They took into account other factors that could influence cardiovascular disease, such as
socio-economic status, health problems such as obesity and high blood pressure and lifestyle factors such as smoking

The findings are due to be published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Dr Nicole Vogelzangs, lead author of the study, said: "Previous studies have suggested that
cortisol might increase the risk of cardiovascular mortality, but until now, no study had
directly tested this hypothesis.

"The results of our study clearly show that cortisol levels in a general older population
predict cardiovascular death, but not other causes of mortality.

"Cortisol is an important component of the stress system of the human body but in higher
concentrations can be harmful.

"Our study shows that older persons with high levels of cortisol have an increased risk of
dying from cardiovascular disease. This finding significantly adds evidence to the belief that
cortisol can be damaging to the cardiovascular system."

One in three of all deaths in Britain are caused by cardiovascular disease, accounting for
more than 200,000 deaths per year.

Ellen Mason, Senior Cardiac Nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Stress is already
associated with an increased risk of heart disease and this study throws up more evidence
about the role of cortisol.

“However, there are other chemicals in our body besides cortisol which play a part when
we’re stressed out. So although this study helps, there is still a lot left to learn.

“It’s important we all try and find ways to cope with stress which don’t involve unhealthy
habits that increase your risk of heart disease, such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol
and eating foods high in saturated fat and salt.”