Whats your net worth - Page 194 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 23-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With the huge supply of BTOs coming up, and rules of PR needing 3 years before they can buy HDB, you still so sure you can sell your flat at $700k? Probably before 2009 that is possible. But with property prices so volatile now, you probably have to wait off beyond 2016 to try anything.

And your HDB is NOT an investment as you're staying in it. It is a necessity. Please don't view HDB as an investment as you pay more than 2% interest, and you have to repay back to CPF + their interest rates upon selling your house. Granted you may sell it for $700k, the fact that you've been paying back housing loan at that interest means at least $100k - $200k of your profit gets eaten up (dependable on the no. of years you've paid). Not to mention you have to put back into CPF.

At the end of the day, your cash in hand may jolly well be only $200k - $300k if you're lucky (assuming you bought your house ard $200k).
Some ppl just dream and dream... HDB is not an investment at all.. and hardly houses nowadays don't appreciate after 30 years... no big deal that the price is up.. don't forget the inflation rate... 700k from lets say 200k after 20 or 30 years.. you calculate and see.. is not a lot... he is definitely not savvy in finance to say this..

Old 23-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
In that case, I will sell my flat now if the price is going to drop in 2 years time. I'm confident I can sell at $700k. In fact, those around me already sold at $800k. My location is very popular, matured estate, near MRT station and no BTOs at all.

I think even though my money will go into my CPF account, I can still get it after 55. Anyway, with the cash savings I have in hand, I have no problem getting at least $600k now and the rest we can get when we reach 55. $600k in fact can last me more than 30 years in Chiang Mai for retirement.

So, if I can sell my flat this year, we can retire 2 years earlier!!! This is exciting !!! Thanks for the info. I will call my propery agent friends now.
Someone posted about your idea of retiring in Thailand or KL... read it and think... I am afraid that you sold your HDB and move to Chiang Mai but regretted after 1 year due to the reality of live there and when you are back here.. buying back the same unit will cost you more..

Old 23-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

This is a brilliant idea.

In Chiang Mai, you can live very well with S$1k pm. So your S$1m can last for many, many years. However, instead of just spending the S$1m, you may want to invest in blue chip stocks which can give you 4% pa or S$40k pa. Since you may just spend S$12k pa in Chiang Mai, you can even save the rest.

Wishing you and wife the best. You both deserve the good rest after working so long and so hard. Don't be a fool to wait so long to retire.

Quote:
My wife and I have been working for more than 25 years and we are getting really tired. Luckily we still manage to have holiday breaks. When we go for our holidays, we always study whether the places we visited are location where we can retire.

We finally decided that Chiang Mai in Thailand would be a good place where we can retire very comfortably - eating in local restaurants every other day, relaxing and can afford to employ a maid and a driver.

How is this possible? Here is how.

Our 5 room HDB flat is now worth S$700k and plus our cash savings we can have S$1m in CASH after selling our HDB flat. We will then convert the S$1m to get 25m Thai Baht !!!! That is a lot of money to retire on in Chiang Mai.

We hope to retire in a couple of years time when we hit 55.

Our investment in our HDB flat is our best investment ever !!!!!!!!

Old 23-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

I agree that it is important to have good balance of work and leisure. But it is really foolish to retire early. And totally disastrous to retire without sufficient funds to last the distance, and no plans on what to do upon retirement. A life in retirement spent on looking for ways to save money is a life totally wasted.

Work hard, save hard, invest well, live well.

Quote:

In Chiang Mai, you can live very well with S$1k pm. So your S$1m can last for many, many years. However, instead of just spending the S$1m, you may want to invest in blue chip stocks which can give you 4% pa or S$40k pa. Since you may just spend S$12k pa in Chiang Mai, you can even save the rest.

Wishing you and wife the best. You both deserve the good rest after working so long and so hard. Don't be a fool to wait so long to retire.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

What's your problem? If he wants to retire at 55, so be it. It is not early at all. My dad retired at 55 and he left peacefully at 66. At least he had 11 years of his life in relaxation. He worked hard since he was 15. Someone I knew wanted to retire at 65 and was looking towards it but he was gone at 62. How about you? Can you guarantee you can live beyond 50? Is your $5m not enough?

Quote:
I agree that it is important to have good balance of work and leisure. But it is really foolish to retire early. And totally disastrous to retire without sufficient funds to last the distance, and no plans on what to do upon retirement. A life in retirement spent on looking for ways to save money is a life totally wasted.

Work hard, save hard, invest well, live well.
Old 24-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Unregistered

If you think about it, having a job is a blessing. Many people are jobless or in non-full time employment. So if you are currently in employment, hang on to it. You just have to go to transitioning.org to understand the pain of being jobless and being rejected time and time again in your job application.

Being in a job carries with it many benefits both financial and for the soul. The financial benefits are of course:

1. your salary
2. Medical benefits for you and family
3. leave,
4. Business class travel (if you qualify)
5. sponsorship for upgrading courses
the list goes on.

A job gives you purpose. If a company employs you, it means that you are contributing to something that is needed by society at large, no matter how small your contribution is.

There are many people in their mid 50s who still have school going children and even housing loans. So I thought it was irresponsible to urge people to go into retirement without first advising them to check on their financial commitments.

Back to my $5m. Although the amount is adequate to see my wife and I well into our golden years, I am not considering retirement because I love my job and I think I am making a difference. I have good colleagues - young and old. There are still so many things to learn from the job. Many times, the money is not the motivating factor. It is about overcoming challenges and delivering.

That said, I am not against retirement. Retirement without planning what you want to do next is going to leave you totally lost and feeling empty. Many only have a vague idea what they wanted to do, but find themselves directionless and lost their self esteem once they quit their job.

Quote:
What's your problem? If he wants to retire at 55, so be it. It is not early at all. My dad retired at 55 and he left peacefully at 66. At least he had 11 years of his life in relaxation. He worked hard since he was 15. Someone I knew wanted to retire at 65 and was looking towards it but he was gone at 62. How about you? Can you guarantee you can live beyond 50? Is your $5m not enough?

Old 24-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

I think you are missing the big picture. People ARE planning for retirement. Only fools don't do that. The guy who has been planning all his life to retire somewhere cheaper makes a lot of sense. If you can retire in Chiang Mai for $1k per month, then why not? You can't retire with $1k per month here, it is very obvious. So please do not use your personal preferences to force on people's decisions. You sound exactly like the "I am always right" bosses people want to run away from every single day.

Quote:
If you think about it, having a job is a blessing. Many people are jobless or in non-full time employment. So if you are currently in employment, hang on to it. You just have to go to transitioning.org to understand the pain of being jobless and being rejected time and time again in your job application.

Being in a job carries with it many benefits both financial and for the soul. The financial benefits are of course:

1. your salary
3. leave,
the list goes on.

A job gives you purpose. If a company employs you, it means that you are contributing to something that is needed by society at large, no matter how small your contribution is.

There are many people in their mid 50s who still have school going children and even housing loans. So I thought it was irresponsible to urge people to go into retirement without first advising them to check on their financial commitments.

Back to my $5m. Although the amount is adequate to see my wife and I well into our golden years, I am not considering retirement because I love my job and I think I am making a difference. I have good colleagues - young and old. There are still so many things to learn from the job. Many times, the money is not the motivating factor. It is about overcoming challenges and delivering.

That said, I am not against retirement. Retirement without planning what you want to do next is going to leave you totally lost and feeling empty. Many only have a vague idea what they wanted to do, but find themselves directionless and lost their self esteem once they quit their job.
Old 24-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. your salary
3. leave,
the list goes on.

Wonder why ppl like to compare... eg.. be happy that you are at least employed... so many ppl jobless. be happy if you are staying in a 2R hdb, there are ppl sleeping under the bridge, be happy if you can only afford prata, there are ppl starving everyday... You are so so wrong to think that way... we have choices and we choose what we want... you choose to work till you are old, because you are afraid to let go what you have now.. (based on your statements above, salary, benefits....) don't you have friends outside office? you only have colleagues to hang around?
Old 24-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Is it guarantee to have 4% return???? Even buying a house to rent out is no guarantee in return..
Old 24-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Unregistered

People in their 40s are already retiring in other parts of Asia. Open your mind and be happy.

Your HDB flat is a blessing. Your hard work to buy and pay the loan is worth it. Now you can sell at a big profit and retire happily in Malaysia or Thailand. Our HDB flat is our best retirement asset.

Friday, December 6, 2013, 07:09

Asia Weekly: Ease of living entices retirees to Malaysia

By JAIME KOH in Singapore

Widespread english proficiency and excellent healthcare ensure country remains a firm favorite

After a recent trip to Malacca, 42-year-old Singaporean writer Stephanie Ho is seriously considering retiring to the historic Malaysian city.

“I like the history of this place. It’s nice and quiet, yet there is enough crowd (tourists) every now and then, which adds life to the place,” she says. “Furthermore, it’s not so culturally different from Singapore in terms of food, language and history, so the culture shock is not so huge.”

Distance from her home city is an added advantage. “Singapore is only a three-hour drive away, so I can go back whenever I want or need,” she adds.

Ho is not alone.

Formerly from Singapore, artist Titi Kwok Yong Chee has also made Malacca his home. “There is no space in Singapore for artists. Studio and gallery rental are so high, how can artists survive?” he says.

He now runs his gallery from a rented shop house unit in the historic Jonker Walk area. “The lifestyle here is good. It’s more leisurely and it’s freer,” he says, adding that it is a better environment for artists. “It’s not a rat race.”

The Singapore parliament earlier this year passed the Population White Paper in which Singapore’s population is projected to hit 6.9 million in 2030, with migrants making up almost half the population.

The paper drew protests from Singaporeans who argue that the figure is unacceptable, citing the existing strains on housing, social and physical infrastructure as a result of the rising population.

“I do not want to live in a 120-story flat that could cost millions or travel in a triple-decker bus when I’m retired,” said a 30-something Singaporean, referring in jest to the high-rise housing and public transport.

“When I retire, I want to be in a more relaxed frame of mind. I don’t want to have to worry about high expenses, or live with the stress of an ultra-crowded urban lifestyle,” she added. “That’s not retirement, is it?”

Many Singaporeans like Kwok have taken the leap to neighboring Malaysia. But they are not the only ones choosing to retire to Malaysia. North Americans and Japanese are among those who are looking to make Malaysia their retirement homes.

Malaysia ranks third in International Living magazine’s annual global retirement index for 2013, which indicates the preferred destinations of North American retirees.

Jennifer Stevens, executive editor of the magazine, was quoted by Forbes as saying Malaysia is a “place where you can step up in your lifestyle without blowing your budget”.

Stevens cited the example of her contributing editor who lives in a sea view apartment in Penang, equipped with pool and gym, for about $1,000 a month.

“They keep a small sailboat, eat out five nights a week, have a maid that comes once a week — and do it all for $1,700 a month,” she said.

For those who prefer to purchase their properties, they also have a choice to buy freehold, unlike other parts of Asia.

Malaysia is also a popular destination for many Japanese retirees. According to a survey by Japan’s Long Stay Foundation, which tracks the trend for Japanese staying overseas for an extended period of time, Malaysia has topped the list as the most popular destination for long stay for the past six years.

The reason that Malaysia has been a magnet for foreigners is partly thanks to its government initiatives which have actively encouraged people from overseas to settle in the country when they retire.

In the 1990s, there was the Silver Hair Programme which sought to attract those aged 50 and above to retire to the country.

Since 2002, the Malaysian government has extended the scheme to all age groups. The Silver Hair Programme has been replaced by the Malaysia My Second Home program (MM2H).

Under MM2H, eligible foreigners can live in Malaysia under a renewable 10-year multiple-entry visa. There are no restrictions on age, race, religion or gender.

The top spots for foreigners include Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi, Ipoh, Malacca, Kota Kinabalu and Johor Bahru, says TG Chng, a licensed agent for the MM2H programme.

“Kuala Lumpur attracts the younger set of people. Langkawi (attracts) boaters. Penang attracts those who wants a slower pace of life,” he tells China Daily Asia Weekly.

Malaysia’s multicultural environment is another attraction for both working and retired.

“We are used to foreigners being present here,” says Chng. “We have many large multinationals with many expats working here. It is common to see foreigners doing marketing at the local markets,” he says.

He adds that it is not only elderly retirees who are making Malaysia their second home. He explains that there is a younger generation who have worked here, fell in love with the place and decided to stay on.

John Harvey is a good example of this sort of retiree. He first came to the region from the United Kingdom in 1976 to work in Ernst & Young’s Hong Kong office.

“I was 25 years old and captivated by the vibrancy of Asia,” Harvey says.

For the next 40 years he traveled all over Asia for the global accountancy firm.

A few years ago he retired to a condominium on the outskirts of the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.

“It was an easy decision to make,” he says from London during a visit to his relatives. The weather during his trip back has served as a reminder of why he made his decision to continue living in Asia.

“It is 5 degrees here and gray … the decision to retire to Malaysia was not too difficult.”

In addition to the better weather, Harvey also enjoys the vibrancy in Asia that he says is hard to find in Europe.

“I think it has a lot to do with the Asian ‘can do’ attitude,” he explains. “I saw it when I first arrived as a young man and still see it today as I move into retirement.”

Harvey says he considered the alternatives but Malaysia was the country that ticked all the boxes.

“I looked at the Philippines but security bothered me. Sri Lanka is lovely but too far away,” he says. “Thailand has the (warm) weather but language is a big problem.”

Harvey looked at Hong Kong and Singapore as possible options. “Both have their attractions but do you want to retire there? They are expensive and they are places you go to work … not retire.

“Malaysia has a reasonable cost of living, nice weather, English is widely spoken and it has first-class medical facilities … it has everything you want really. And the people are simply great.”

In fact, the only disadvantage of his current lifestyle, Harvey adds, is the distance from his family members who are still in the UK.