Whats your net worth - Page 195 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 24-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Unregistered

haha, I can sense many of you are averse to work. It is quite natural.

Only a select lucky few would actually love their job. Eg. professional sports people. They love their game and they are paid millions for it and have adoring fans.

For the rest of us, we try to love the job we end up with. If nothing else, they provide us with the money to feed us and our family.

For those of you who hate your jobs, I have nothing to say, except that be thankful that you have the skills that employers need and are willing to pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wonder why ppl like to compare... eg.. be happy that you are at least employed... so many ppl jobless. be happy if you are staying in a 2R hdb, there are ppl sleeping under the bridge, be happy if you can only afford prata, there are ppl starving everyday... You are so so wrong to think that way... we have choices and we choose what we want... you choose to work till you are old, because you are afraid to let go what you have now.. (based on your statements above, salary, benefits....) don't you have friends outside office? you only have colleagues to hang around?

Old 24-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

What's all these bickering all about? Let me tell you guys. The successful dudes retire early and spend the rest of their lives enjoying the good life while doing some good in society.

When I first started working, I told myself that I will work hard and be a good investor so that I can retire early. I wanted to retire by 40. However, I could not do it earlier but I finally did when I was 43. Now I am 48, happily retired from the busy corporate world. Been there, done that.

Now I enjoy my stocks dividends, enough to feed my family. I spend time with the kids, educate them with right moral values and teach them how to invest like a pro. I work out in the condo gym and swim in the big empty pool. At times, I do some social work to tend to the poor. Best of all I go for holidays once in 3 months. Even though I am a MULTI millionaire, I drive a not-so-expensive conti car. I also take the bus and MRT. Why should I waste a million dollars on a sports car?

Old 24-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
What's all these bickering all about? Let me tell you guys. The successful dudes retire early and spend the rest of their lives enjoying the good life while doing some good in society.

When I first started working, I told myself that I will work hard and be a good investor so that I can retire early. I wanted to retire by 40. However, I could not do it earlier but I finally did when I was 43. Now I am 48, happily retired from the busy corporate world. Been there, done that.

Now I enjoy my stocks dividends, enough to feed my family. I spend time with the kids, educate them with right moral values and teach them how to invest like a pro. I work out in the condo gym and swim in the big empty pool. At times, I do some social work to tend to the poor. Best of all I go for holidays once in 3 months. Even though I am a MULTI millionaire, I drive a not-so-expensive conti car. I also take the bus and MRT. Why should I waste a million dollars on a sports car?
Very well said.. Did you feel hard to let go position, status, benefits in the company??

Old 24-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Very well said.. Did you feel hard to let go position, status, benefits in the company??
Letting go of the money and benefits is the easy part as I am fully prepared. Letting go of the position and status is the most difficult as it involves the ego and face. But I managed to overcome that eventually. I am now living my life to the fullest.
Old 24-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Letting go of the money and benefits is the easy part as I am fully prepared. Letting go of the position and status is the most difficult as it involves the ego and face. But I managed to overcome that eventually. I am now living my life to the fullest.
Great stuff. How long did it take for you to get over the status and position issue? cuz i notice you mention that you quit at 43 and now am 48. Also, are you able to find a bunch of friends to hang out with and do they include people who are working? How about wife.. does she work or also retired?

I am asking because this is very relevant to me. I am in late 30s and will be leaving my job soon next 4-5 months. I have accumulated enough money to retire too and actually last 1 year have been taking it much easier at work too. But there is still work stress and unhappiness and the salary while good is nowhere near what i earn via my investments. Investment returns basically outstrip spending by almost 100% last 3 years.

I have been working out 4-5 times a week since 1+ year ago and health has recovered significantly from the abuse it took during work days. Travel alot too but one does get tired of travel esp since i have to do work travel a bit still. So about 12-13 times a year.

You are totally right about kids. They are true joy and pleasure to have around and to teach and share life with. One area i am concerned about is how to let it go in terms of competitiveness and that constant interaction with work challenge and colleagues. I am sure you are also an alpha male in order to retire by 43. For example, earning 100K in profit at work due to some improvement or challenge is somehow far more fulfilling than earning 100K in investment profit that is due to just buying some stock 1 year ago and realizing it today....
Old 24-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

It took me about a year to get over the position and status issue. I took up some volunteer work to make me feel useful as I have a lot of ideas to offer. I still meet up with both my working and retired friends but I spend most of my time with my wife, who is a housewife.

If you are financially prepared, then by all means make your decision. Be sure you have planned what you want to do in retirement. I suggest you volunteer for worthy causes, especially helping the poor, aged and disabled. You will realise how lucky you have been all your life and you will learn humility.

Not sure I am an alpha male. If you are refering to satisfaction, I get lots of satisfaction now from the bonding with my family and making a difference to the less fortunate. Btw, in my previous work, I deal with millions.

I wish you the best. Make sure your wife is ok with your decision. Just show her the money, she will be ok if the numbers are good.

Quote:
Great stuff. How long did it take for you to get over the status and position issue? cuz i notice you mention that you quit at 43 and now am 48. Also, are you able to find a bunch of friends to hang out with and do they include people who are working? How about wife.. does she work or also retired?

I am asking because this is very relevant to me. I am in late 30s and will be leaving my job soon next 4-5 months. I have accumulated enough money to retire too and actually last 1 year have been taking it much easier at work too. But there is still work stress and unhappiness and the salary while good is nowhere near what i earn via my investments. Investment returns basically outstrip spending by almost 100% last 3 years.

I have been working out 4-5 times a week since 1+ year ago and health has recovered significantly from the abuse it took during work days. Travel alot too but one does get tired of travel esp since i have to do work travel a bit still. So about 12-13 times a year.

You are totally right about kids. They are true joy and pleasure to have around and to teach and share life with. One area i am concerned about is how to let it go in terms of competitiveness and that constant interaction with work challenge and colleagues. I am sure you are also an alpha male in order to retire by 43. For example, earning 100K in profit at work due to some improvement or challenge is somehow far more fulfilling than earning 100K in investment profit that is due to just buying some stock 1 year ago and realizing it today....

Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

56 and 48 year old couple. Owns a 5 room HDB flat worth $500k. No more loan. Cash and CPF $300k. Total net worth $800k. Now both still working with income $110k in total. Need to continue working until 70 years old.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
56 and 48 year old couple. Owns a 5 room HDB flat worth $500k. No more loan. Cash and CPF $300k. Total net worth $800k. Now both still working with income $110k in total. Need to continue working until 70 years old.
You can always buy or rent a JB house and rent out yr HDB. Should be sufficient for u to retire now. No need to slog till 70 years old.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

64, 60, retired. Lives in a studio condo unit. Net worth $3m. Passive income from stocks dividends $4k per month. Spendings $3k per month.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Verified Member

financialfreedom is on a distinguished road

26 years old, no HDB, no liabilities.
Annual salary: $60k (sales job)
Cash: $60k
Investment: $30k
CPF: $81k

How did so many of you achieved millions of nett worth? It seems so far away with what I'm earning right now...

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app