Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

It took me about a year to get over the position and status issue. I took up some volunteer work to make me feel useful as I have a lot of ideas to offer. I still meet up with both my working and retired friends but I spend most of my time with my wife, who is a housewife.

If you are financially prepared, then by all means make your decision. Be sure you have planned what you want to do in retirement. I suggest you volunteer for worthy causes, especially helping the poor, aged and disabled. You will realise how lucky you have been all your life and you will learn humility.

Not sure I am an alpha male. If you are refering to satisfaction, I get lots of satisfaction now from the bonding with my family and making a difference to the less fortunate. Btw, in my previous work, I deal with millions.

I wish you the best. Make sure your wife is ok with your decision. Just show her the money, she will be ok if the numbers are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Great stuff. How long did it take for you to get over the status and position issue? cuz i notice you mention that you quit at 43 and now am 48. Also, are you able to find a bunch of friends to hang out with and do they include people who are working? How about wife.. does she work or also retired?

I am asking because this is very relevant to me. I am in late 30s and will be leaving my job soon next 4-5 months. I have accumulated enough money to retire too and actually last 1 year have been taking it much easier at work too. But there is still work stress and unhappiness and the salary while good is nowhere near what i earn via my investments. Investment returns basically outstrip spending by almost 100% last 3 years.

I have been working out 4-5 times a week since 1+ year ago and health has recovered significantly from the abuse it took during work days. Travel alot too but one does get tired of travel esp since i have to do work travel a bit still. So about 12-13 times a year.

You are totally right about kids. They are true joy and pleasure to have around and to teach and share life with. One area i am concerned about is how to let it go in terms of competitiveness and that constant interaction with work challenge and colleagues. I am sure you are also an alpha male in order to retire by 43. For example, earning 100K in profit at work due to some improvement or challenge is somehow far more fulfilling than earning 100K in investment profit that is due to just buying some stock 1 year ago and realizing it today....

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app