Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

a few comments:

1) not all public service jobs are the same. There are some interesting ones which have market value after working there for a couple of years. MAS comes to mind. maybe some statutory boards where it allows you to interact with various business sectors etc. Police and Army, however, counts as nothing in terms of relevant experience in the real world.

2) you cannot compare hours and starting pay for private versus public sector. Public sector will always offer better starting pay and offer better hours in the first few years. However, you trade initial lower pay for better opportunities in the future in terms of work experience and increasing your market value. There will be people who prefer stability, in that case, stick to public sector. If you take the bell curve distribution, your pay will always fall under the mean or median. It will never be possible to move up the curve if you don't take any risks at all.

3) think longer term and also think outside of singapore as well. Singapore is not the only place in the world with great jobs. Start thinking where you will like to be in a few years time and use your first job as a base to launch you forward.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
a few comments:

1) not all public service jobs are the same. There are some interesting ones which have market value after working there for a couple of years. MAS comes to mind. maybe some statutory boards where it allows you to interact with various business sectors etc. Police and Army, however, counts as nothing in terms of relevant experience in the real world.
The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 21-07-2010, 06:10 PM
NTU grad no. 3!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTU Fresh Grad too! View Post
Hello!

By the way, I simply have a Pass degree. Yet, I was offered a 45K annual package, which is incredible considering my GPA/CAP, working in a foreign MNC. I was very happy that the company recognised my effort spent in participating in CCAs and part-time jobs, and offered me a great package based on my potential and capabilities, rather than grades alone.
?
Dude... ure pay is really good man. My annual pay with aws is only 44.5K. Give me some hint where you working at leh? or at least which industry?

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default PI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.
haha private investigator?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
haha private investigator?
why do you laugh? PIs can make a lot of money too.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default wo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.
Apart from those that you mentioned, there is a market for security/investigation related positions as well in the financial industry e.g fraud investigator, security manager (Regional or local), emergency preparedness, anti-money laundering, counter terrorist fundings, so on and so forth. These positions are highly sought after in financial institutions and most of them are highly paid...
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Apart from those that you mentioned, there is a market for security/investigation related positions as well in the financial industry e.g fraud investigator, security manager (Regional or local), emergency preparedness, anti-money laundering, counter terrorist fundings, so on and so forth. These positions are highly sought after in financial institutions and most of them are highly paid...
MBS hired a lot of ex-police. When you said "highly paid", it's at most 5k right?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 275
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i would ask you to take the MNC job (I am suspecting it would be hitachi). The chemical industry is pretty stable and you can use that to move to something else later. Police officer, on the hand, regardless of the high starting pay, counts as nothing in the real world. I suspect that you are not a scholar, so there is a glass ceiling for you. If you are content with younger scholars as your boss in the future, that is fine. Upside is limited as a police officer.
Hi Liquid,

Either (1) take the MNC job or (2) scout around for more options.

In NO case do you take up the SPF job. Not without a scholarship. You will be at the lowest end of the food chain and at every turn you will be reminded that you are lesser than the lowest scholar. At each posting and pay adjustment, more and more scholars younger than you will overtake you and become your seniors, or become your supervisor and eventually become your commander.

If you have not dreamt of becoming a policeman all your life, then just forget it. The good starting pay is a trap. You get stuck in lots and lots of paper work and bureaucratic reporting. In any case, policing is no longer what it used to be. Do not be fooled by TV roles and Hollywood. You do not fight for justice and the well being of victims. Even if you do, you do not get the credit. But you do see a lot of ugly things and how the system fails people in need of help. You will be disillusioned and disappointed.

<Unregistered> who replied to your first is right. There is very little upside even if you persevere and try your very best for 10 to 15 years. So my personal advice is: DON'T.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hi Liquid,

Either (1) take the MNC job or (2) scout around for more options.

In NO case do you take up the SPF job. Not without a scholarship. You will be at the lowest end of the food chain and at every turn you will be reminded that you are lesser than the lowest scholar. At each posting and pay adjustment, more and more scholars younger than you will overtake you and become your seniors, or become your supervisor and eventually become your commander.

If you have not dreamt of becoming a policeman all your life, then just forget it. The good starting pay is a trap. You get stuck in lots and lots of paper work and bureaucratic reporting. In any case, policing is no longer what it used to be. Do not be fooled by TV roles and Hollywood. You do not fight for justice and the well being of victims. Even if you do, you do not get the credit. But you do see a lot of ugly things and how the system fails people in need of help. You will be disillusioned and disappointed.

<Unregistered> who replied to your first is right. There is very little upside even if you persevere and try your very best for 10 to 15 years. So my personal advice is: DON'T.
Yup.. this guy knows what he's talking about..... I have struggled for 10 years... And there's no hope of ever becoming a somebody in the public service... They only look at your academic status to chart your prospect with the organisation... Better to join private.. becos even if you're not a scholar.. at least you still have a fighting chance...
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Males should clarify about their NS obligations (reservist) before signing on the saf or some of the home team divisions. Don't blur blur sign on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
salary for second year senior associate in Big 4 HaigNY Income and Jobs 30 16-10-2012 10:30 PM
Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck. Flyinghome Income and Jobs 31 16-03-2011 11:33 PM
Advice needed boliao123 Income and Jobs 1 18-06-2010 05:41 PM
Crazy 70 Months Bonus in Property Sector Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 09-01-2008 11:15 AM
Charity sector pay Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 21-06-2007 08:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 8,035 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,467 Replies, 841,440 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,747 Replies, 1,155,856 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,342 Replies, 481,672 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,393 Replies, 4,668,635 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,606 Replies, 677,189 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 269,633 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
303 Replies, 125,798 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,194 Replies, 913,599 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 966 Views
Dilemma - SAP or Data analytics?
2 Replies, 253 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
264 Replies, 185,664 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,522 Replies, 1,624,811 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 60,533 Views
fresh grad seeking a career,but no... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 11,564 Views
working under singhealth ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 13,632 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 42,359 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,531 Replies, 1,497,993 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,247 Replies, 481,050 Views
Salary for engineer at Singapore...
9 Replies, 9,449 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
718 Replies, 359,881 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
814 Replies, 614,412 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,553 Replies, 410,724 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 54,278 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 221,255 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
704 Replies, 681,165 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 54,804 Views
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 235,559 Views
SMU Accountancy vs SUTD ISTD
6 Replies, 2,906 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,746 Replies, 3,417,404 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2