Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
MBS hired a lot of ex-police. When you said "highly paid", it's at most 5k right?
Read "Financial industry".

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default casino salaries

ex-police officer (also overseas scholar) became head security officer at local casino. his salary was $25k a month. how do i know? it was reported in the law reports of his divorce case with his full name. he was a graduate from oxford and a friend of my sister's.

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ex-police officer (also overseas scholar) became head security officer at local casino. his salary was $25k a month. how do i know? it was reported in the law reports of his divorce case with his full name. he was a graduate from oxford and a friend of my sister's.
Since it's public info, can you share his name please? Or even better, point us to the divorce law report. Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Casino security head

name is tan puay kern. divorce cases are only on-line for 3 months. do use google for interesting developments
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

the fact that you are asking for opinions on whether to join the mnc or spf with pay as a huge contributing factor to your choice of career proves to me that you are unsuitable to join spf.

people do not join spf to get rich. if you want to earn big bucks, spf is not the way to go. spf pay will allow you to have an above avg lifestyle, not a luxurious one.

to naysayers who feel that spf/saf personnel has no intrinsic value in th private sector, pls think again. they do formulate policies and look at global economic and financial climate vis a vis manpower/operational/security policies. not all police officers or soldiers are dumb and are unable to survive in th real world.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the fact that you are asking for opinions on whether to join the mnc or spf with pay as a huge contributing factor to your choice of career proves to me that you are unsuitable to join spf.

people do not join spf to get rich. if you want to earn big bucks, spf is not the way to go. spf pay will allow you to have an above avg lifestyle, not a luxurious one.

to naysayers who feel that spf/saf personnel has no intrinsic value in th private sector, pls think again. they do formulate policies and look at global economic and financial climate vis a vis manpower/operational/security policies. not all police officers or soldiers are dumb and are unable to survive in th real world.
well, someone above just said tan puay kern ex-spf is now making $25k/mth in the gambling industry (also called IR). not rich, but richer than most of us.
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My advice is to take the SPF job. I have tasted both public and private sector life. So what if the high posts are reserved for the scholars. For an average graduate, civil service offers a much better pay, work-life balance as compared to the average graduate slogging out in the dog-eat dog world of the private sector.

Trust me, you need more than ability and luck to earn big bucks in the private sector. Unless you think you are of exceptional calibre, it is better to stick to public sector.

Big bucks can be earned elsewhere outside of work eg through prudent investments, trading etc. Do not let work (especially so in private sector) suck up all your energy for other such money pursuits.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My advice is to take the SPF job. I have tasted both public and private sector life. So what if the high posts are reserved for the scholars. For an average graduate, civil service offers a much better pay, work-life balance as compared to the average graduate slogging out in the dog-eat dog world of the private sector.

Trust me, you need more than ability and luck to earn big bucks in the private sector. Unless you think you are of exceptional calibre, it is better to stick to public sector.

Big bucks can be earned elsewhere outside of work eg through prudent investments, trading etc. Do not let work (especially so in private sector) suck up all your energy for other such money pursuits.
not all government agencies offer excellent work-life balance. i know of at least 2 that work their staff hard, where knocking off at 8pm is considered early.

even PM Lee once lamented he got an email announcement from a civil servant at midnight. the irony is that the announcement was something on maintaining work-life balance. he said this in one of his national day rally speeches.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

was a junior officer in SPF for abt 8yrs & left as SSSgt. Got an office hr post in Div HQ & then Police HQ after 2+yrs on the beat. Got my degree when i did my part time studies in SPF. Left for corporate security related jobs & 6yrs after i left, i'm drawing >$10k now.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 19-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
haiz2006 is on a distinguished road
Default i am intending to sign on CPIB IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
was a junior officer in SPF for abt 8yrs & left as SSSgt. Got an office hr post in Div HQ & then Police HQ after 2+yrs on the beat. Got my degree when i did my part time studies in SPF. Left for corporate security related jobs & 6yrs after i left, i'm drawing >$10k now.
i am intending to sign on CPIB IO>>> any advice?
have to study law too, just afraid one day if i have to leave the service...where to head to?

Of course if CPIB treat me well, i will stay..all about passion.
Izzit really hard to enter corporate security related job aft years of service in the enforcement?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
salary for second year senior associate in Big 4 HaigNY Income and Jobs 30 16-10-2012 10:30 PM
Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck. Flyinghome Income and Jobs 31 16-03-2011 11:33 PM
Advice needed boliao123 Income and Jobs 1 18-06-2010 05:41 PM
Crazy 70 Months Bonus in Property Sector Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 09-01-2008 12:15 PM
Charity sector pay Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 21-06-2007 08:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
154 Replies, 16,290 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 30,853 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,951 Replies, 1,809,379 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,041 Replies, 280,349 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
356 Replies, 124,357 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,799 Replies, 1,178,231 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,893 Replies, 6,023,067 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 3,736 Views
anyone work as trainer with...
3 Replies, 2,036 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,514 Replies, 1,002,179 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,786 Replies, 533,575 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,045 Replies, 832,754 Views
I need advice
4 Replies, 741 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,454 Replies, 2,048,256 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
492 Replies, 108,302 Views
Business / System Analyst
1 Replies, 1,020 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,580 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
234 Replies, 145,283 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,724 Replies, 3,171,053 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,494 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 230,538 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 47,322 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,087 Replies, 3,882,211 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,557 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 168,335 Views
Banker or Financial Advisor Career...
9 Replies, 1,194 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
157 Replies, 40,563 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 54,151 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2