Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 21-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Unregistered

Default law ackeyhos

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgrunted View Post
Hi all,

I graduated with a biz management cum laude / 2nd upp equivalent. Started out with 3.3k, and worked for 1 year. Recently, there was a pay revision which got me to 3.5k.

I have a 'b' grade performance, but very recently got an annual increment of $170.
From my chat with hr, I was informed that my increment is standard for my scheme (SN/ analyst role) and my first increment is independent of my performance.

Qn) I feel cheated having worked hard for my first year, to be told my performance will only benefit me AFTER 2 years. Is this the case for you guys?

Qn) I am searching for analyst roles in the private sector, but am having a tough time. These analyst positions: economist/ investment analyst/ equities research are hard to come by, and even if available, demand relevant experience. Worst, I applied for a fresh property analyst position with URA and was promptly rejected in 3 days. Though my peers with slightly lower credentials have not received a reply. Any advice?
Don't be disheartened. URA Property Analyst post is likely meant for those from Faculty of Building and Estate Management NUS, now called Design and Build or something like dat. They learn things like land valuation, land surveying, etc. To join URA, it will help very much if you are Architect, Landscape Architect with postgrad in Town Planning, etc. Other disciplines can take in but no very helpful in your career lor....

Financial Analyst more suitable for you. Saw many advert on this.........

Old 21-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bottom line is if you dont have at least 2nd upper, the honest advice is to avoid govt sector.
Even you have 1st, don't expect too much. The good thing about this line is: when all coasts are clear, the next position is vacant, no more competition in the department, you think you are the winner for the post.............

Somebody from somewhere parachutes onto the post...... and he/she becomes your dept head. sad huh?

If you are graduates from OCS, you will be better chance in this line........... Join Temasek Club to network.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I assume you start work in july 2006

July 2006 >>> $2800
July 2007 >>> ???
July 2008 >>> ???
July 2009 >>> ???
July 2010 >>> $3900

With 4 years of experience, And I assume you had 1 promotion + 4 years of annual increment.

(3900-2800)/(4+1) = $220

I assume your annual increment for every year is about $220, and when you promoted, u get another $220 increment.

Can you fill in the ??? and which year are you promoted?
Newton's law never states salaries must increase as one's age/experience increases.... hehehe With the influx of cheaper, younger, faster workers, our salaries may start to decline after 35. If the younger/cheaper has no family in Singapore, he/she can work 24/7, no increment for us liow.......

Earning 7k at age 32 does not means will be earning 15k at age 42 these days........
Remember the day when Lehman Bros staff all asked to pack up? DBS VPs packing up into their MPVs parked near ShentonWay? Those guys were earning good pay!! Some of them now still jobless and selling insurance/property.......

Acid test for your job:

1. Every morning when you wake up, do you feel like rushing to office to work? You wish the bus/car could travel faster? Can't wait to reach your desk to start work?

2. Every evening, do you feel reluctant to go home? You feel like bringing pillow to sleep in your office?

If both ans are YES! Congrats, you have the dream job! If no, better go find another job....

Old 21-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Newton's law never states salaries must increase as one's age/experience increases.... hehehe With the influx of cheaper, younger, faster workers, our salaries may start to decline after 35. If the younger/cheaper has no family in Singapore, he/she can work 24/7, no increment for us liow.......

Earning 7k at age 32 does not means will be earning 15k at age 42 these days........
Remember the day when Lehman Bros staff all asked to pack up? DBS VPs packing up into their MPVs parked near ShentonWay? Those guys were earning good pay!! Some of them now still jobless and selling insurance/property.......

Acid test for your job:

1. Every morning when you wake up, do you feel like rushing to office to work? You wish the bus/car could travel faster? Can't wait to reach your desk to start work?

2. Every evening, do you feel reluctant to go home? You feel like bringing pillow to sleep in your office?

If both ans are YES! Congrats, you have the dream job! If no, better go find another job....
why are people so eager to find jobs? jobs are for foreigners in singapore. in this country, where the government is ultra pro-business and pro-cheap labour, all citizens should crack their brains, be entrepreneurial and be our own bosses. start a business! start a company! hire cheap foreigners and cheap interns to do all the work for you. aim to have big name mncs to be your clients and charge them an arm and a leg. they can well afford it.

even a small time towkay distributing eggs makes 20-30k a month. interior design towkays (or rather contractors) also make the same amount. just yesterday straits times featured a restaurant towkay who is now "top of the world". think about it.
Old 21-09-2010, 11:50 AM
MGS

Default NOt a Grad, just O' levels and private dip

This thread has very gd info on the salary range for undergrads and abv..
Any info for the admin sector for the salary range..
I m currently in private MNC sector w private dip onli getting ard 2.5k for sec/admin wrk. If i want to apply for adhoc admin, wat is the range they will look for?
Old 21-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS View Post
This thread has very gd info on the salary range for undergrads and abv..
Any info for the admin sector for the salary range..
I m currently in private MNC sector w private dip onli getting ard 2.5k for sec/admin wrk. If i want to apply for adhoc admin, wat is the range they will look for?
2.5k for private dip? How many years you work already? I have a MSc and recently an MBA earning only 2.8k in pte company doing project management and other adhoc duties. geeess

Old 21-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Unregistered

Dear all,

I have a good Master engineering degree from University of Mandalay. I was one of the top in my class. I very much like this country and like to join the civil service.

If I join what will be the starting salary in singapore dollars. Thank you very much for advise.
Old 21-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Default HDB or LTA Uncles

Those HDB or LTA uncles who are very senior, but don't fly very high in the civil service. Sometimes you will see them helping out selling monthly seasoned parking coupons over the counter. They are graduates btw!

Anyone know how much are they getting? They have reached their PEAK in civil service, ceiling of their scale, but not AO type.

Very curious to workout the worst case scenario if I would work till this age in civil service. What is the pay like? Can advise? Just very ordinary performance graduates.

Thanks.
Old 21-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If that is yr passion, why not? Mindef.... hmmmm r u OCS-trained? It will be an advantage if you are Officer during your NS. If not, then good luck..
eh no. but i dont want to do uniformed work.

on the plus side, i have a recommendation from my CO for me to go OCS, but i didnt use it. hahaa can i include it?
Old 21-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Default Work in Military Env

Quote:
eh no. but i dont want to do uniformed work.

on the plus side, i have a recommendation from my CO for me to go OCS, but i didnt use it. hahaa can i include it?
If you do not have bars/crabs on your shoulder, don't think you will be comfortable working in these heavy military environment. If you have, you can network with them anytime.

Even those keen to join DSO as engineers, you will meet those uniformed pple and some expect you to address their ranks. Walking/working around crabs+stars, you need some common topics leh....... If no, pai tan.... hard to earn.....