Lawyer Salary - Page 1752 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #17511 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 09:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, BM NQ is 9.5k (from call, not from January like the B4)

2019 call is around 15.5-16k. B4 is around 10.5-11k.
Whoa, so big difference with a few years of PQE in?

Thatís like 50% more!

Reply With Quote
  #17512 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're welcome.

By 2 year rotation programmes, I assume you mean the international firms' 2 year training programmes where you spend 2 years as a trainee and rotate across 4 practice areas, and then qualify as an NQ afterwards (even though you are already SG qualified after the first 6 months)? I know CC and Links offer this, and with Links you become SG and UK qualified.

If so, I would say it's quite a bit better to do your TC with an international firm, simply because you're essentially guaranteed a job with an international firm (assuming you are retained). Your career shouldn't be slowed down due to the rotation across practice areas, and in most cases this wider exposure is actually a benefit to you. The training at MC firms is also on the whole, much better than your average B4. TCs from MC firms are also MUCH harder to get than B4.

In terms of timing, bear in mind that as a general rule, laterals from B4 to MC firms get a 1-2 year PQE discount. This means there shouldn't be much of a difference in PQE between candidates who graduate at the same time, where one did the 2 year trainee programme with an international firm, and the other lateraled after training at a B4. But of course, your mileage may vary.

All in all, I would almost definitely always choose the international (MC) firm TC over a B4 TC.
I agree with you fully on pretty much every point. But if I already know what I would like to practise in, say B&F, or M&A, or DCM, would it be more worthwhile to get 2 years of PQE in the B4 then?

While in the B4, I get called in SG first, then clear the QLTS on the side to get E&W qualified?

Reply With Quote
  #17513 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're welcome.

By 2 year rotation programmes, I assume you mean the international firms' 2 year training programmes where you spend 2 years as a trainee and rotate across 4 practice areas, and then qualify as an NQ afterwards (even though you are already SG qualified after the first 6 months)? I know CC and Links offer this, and with Links you become SG and UK qualified.

If so, I would say it's quite a bit better to do your TC with an international firm, simply because you're essentially guaranteed a job with an international firm (assuming you are retained). Your career shouldn't be slowed down due to the rotation across practice areas, and in most cases this wider exposure is actually a benefit to you. The training at MC firms is also on the whole, much better than your average B4. TCs from MC firms are also MUCH harder to get than B4.

In terms of timing, bear in mind that as a general rule, laterals from B4 to MC firms get a 1-2 year PQE discount. This means there shouldn't be much of a difference in PQE between candidates who graduate at the same time, where one did the 2 year trainee programme with an international firm, and the other lateraled after training at a B4. But of course, your mileage may vary.

All in all, I would almost definitely always choose the international (MC) firm TC over a B4 TC.
How about doing corp in B4, and apply for QLTS on the side and get E&W qualified too?

Then apply to US firms with 2 years specific corp PQE?

Vs 2 year rotation?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #17514 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

any thoughts on joining non white shoe US firms? better than big4 here?
Reply With Quote
  #17515 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 11:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
TSMP paying 9k NQ. New market high
where did you hear that from? pretty sure if thats true it would be blasted everywhere on linkedin
Reply With Quote
  #17516 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 12:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How about doing corp in B4, and apply for QLTS on the side and get E&W qualified too?

Then apply to US firms with 2 years specific corp PQE?

Vs 2 year rotation?

Thanks!
US firms donít really care about E&W qualification IMO, at least for corporate transactional practices (excl. banking / finance). Focus is more on getting NY-qualified.

You can apply direct to US firms from B4 with just a SG bar qualification, though of course NY qualification may put you ahead of other applicants.
Reply With Quote

  #17517 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 03:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone in big 4 litigation been working like 5 days a week (and weekends) till late night? How do you adjust to the hours and the stress?
Should I transfer to corp? Are the hours better?
Hours aren't better in corp as well. The things that makes corp better compared to liti, is that you have much lesser timelines to comply with (but you still have to comply with your clients' deadlines) and there is no pressure to "win".

Many interns and trainees think going to Court and fighting out in a trial is glamorous but in reality, the amount of preparatory work it takes behind the scenes is insane and good luck if you want to collect fees from client if the judge rules against your client and order costs. This alone is enough to make many switch to corp from liti.
Reply With Quote
  #17518 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hours aren't better in corp as well. The things that makes corp better compared to liti, is that you have much lesser timelines to comply with (but you still have to comply with your clients' deadlines) and there is no pressure to "win".

Many interns and trainees think going to Court and fighting out in a trial is glamorous but in reality, the amount of preparatory work it takes behind the scenes is insane and good luck if you want to collect fees from client if the judge rules against your client and order costs. This alone is enough to make many switch to corp from liti.
Liti is easy. Much easier than corp. Its just talking.
Reply With Quote
  #17519 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 05:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with you fully on pretty much every point. But if I already know what I would like to practise in, say B&F, or M&A, or DCM, would it be more worthwhile to get 2 years of PQE in the B4 then?

While in the B4, I get called in SG first, then clear the QLTS on the side to get E&W qualified?
If you know what you want to practise in, I suppose it could make sense to do that in a B4 straight away for more focused experience. But I always think that if you know that you want to end up in an MC firm, you might as well start at an MC firm. The MC brand name >>> B4 and you can start gaining valuable experience for your CV from day 1. Also, you won't have to compete with your other B4 peers when you are looking to lateral into an MC a few years down the line. I just think the benefit of doing your TC at B4 doesn't outweigh the benefits of starting at MC (but that's my personal opinion).

As for the QLTS (now SQE) for E&W qualification, yes, you can 'easily' get that while working in B4. But I think MC / US firms in SG don't really care about E&W qualifications. US firms may care a bit about NY qualifications (and definitely if you intend to do US capital markets work). Just look at the profiles of SG lawyers in MC/US firms in SG - that will give you an idea of how many have E&W / US qualifications.
Reply With Quote
  #17520 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wait so when you get called in Aug in a B4, how much do you get? since you only get the 7.5k the following january
Bump 10 char
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,033 Replies, 2,800,337 Views
Fresh grad programmer earning... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 34,565 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
644 Replies, 205,111 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,676 Replies, 1,419,581 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
529 Replies, 318,654 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,829 Replies, 925,023 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,524 Replies, 1,207,237 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 237,209 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,566 Replies, 5,663,822 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 540,092 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,253 Replies, 1,064,253 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,053 Replies, 4,476,997 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,851 Replies, 7,989,289 Views
Working in NEA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
94 Replies, 117,555 Views
MOH Holdings ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 13,979 Views
Digital Academy Program at ST...
2 Replies, 190 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 83,948 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,142 Replies, 10,311,650 Views
Compare Your Annual Income ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 10,623 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 1,027,558 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 54,347 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,038 Replies, 3,610,341 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 24,851 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,184 Replies, 410,112 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 232,954 Views
BCA (Building and Construction...
1 Replies, 187 Views
MOH (Ministry of Health) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 43,913 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 273,192 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 37,845 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2