Lawyer Salary - Page 1282 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12811 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 04:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What does of counsel mean in the Singapore law firm?

Reply With Quote
  #12812 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What does of counsel mean in the Singapore law firm?
It means partnership minus the title of partner. But outrank senior associate anytime.

Reply With Quote
  #12813 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 05:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What does of counsel mean in the Singapore law firm?
One of the more abused titles in recent times. For senior senior associates who are non-partnership track, or put there as a holding position until they get on the track. Also because it wouldn't be appropriate to give them consultant positions as the latter usually reserved for grey haired practitioners.

A&G uses it as an additional rung before junior partner.

Strangely, some firms also give rather junior lawyers the title of "counsel", probably just as a way of making their assocs feel better about themselves? Usually the newfangled or boutique ones. *cough Providence * cough

Reply With Quote
  #12814 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 06:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I thought of counsel is just like a lawyer who has an association with the firm but doesnt work full time.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #12815 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I thought of counsel is just like a lawyer who has an association with the firm but doesnt work full time.
Guys I know this is purely semantics but pls note there is a difference between “counsel” and “of counsel”

Counsel is just a description for any lawyer. Could be an associate or a partner. In firms that prefer to have a flatter structure, usually the smaller ones, they just call you counsel rather than associate. Adds a bit more legitimacy when meeting clients.

Now the “of counsel” is a very different animal.
In BM London, and not BMWL, they do have Of counsel which is essentially a local principal in BMWL.
Of counsel is a step after managing/senior associate and just before equity partnership. Some firms lik

In smaller local firms, sometimes “of counsel” is used to reward very exceptional talents in the legal industry before they can be of officially made up to partner because of the 3 year time bar. Other times “of counsel” is used to denote that the person involved with the firm is a very senior lawyer more than 10pqe but has no intention of being a partner.
Reply With Quote
  #12816 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Guys I know this is purely semantics but pls note there is a difference between “counsel” and “of counsel”

Counsel is just a description for any lawyer. Could be an associate or a partner. In firms that prefer to have a flatter structure, usually the smaller ones, they just call you counsel rather than associate. Adds a bit more legitimacy when meeting clients.

Now the “of counsel” is a very different animal.
In BM London, and not BMWL, they do have Of counsel which is essentially a local principal in BMWL.
Of counsel is a step after managing/senior associate and just before equity partnership. Some firms lik

In smaller local firms, sometimes “of counsel” is used to reward very exceptional talents in the legal industry before they can be of officially made up to partner because of the 3 year time bar. Other times “of counsel” is used to denote that the person involved with the firm is a very senior lawyer more than 10pqe but has no intention of being a partner.
So in bmwl local principal is condemned? What if the local principal is like at least 16 years PQE? Condemned anot? I heard the local principals behave like they some hot shot partners but seems like you are saying they are not proper partners? Is it is it
Reply With Quote

  #12817 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2021, 03:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So in bmwl local principal is condemned? What if the local principal is like at least 16 years PQE? Condemned anot? I heard the local principals behave like they some hot shot partners but seems like you are saying they are not proper partners? Is it is it
Lose the attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #12818 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2021, 03:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Honest question here, but how do you network with people outside your own firm? Seems that alot of the partners generally know the partners from other firms (not sure if it is because the cohort used to be smaller or they're in the same field for so long)?
Reply With Quote
  #12819 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2021, 08:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lose the attitude.
Why are you so triggered u from bmwl?
Reply With Quote
  #12820 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2021, 10:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why are you so triggered u from bmwl?
Duh. Some condemned of counsel there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 26,600 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,019 Replies, 2,513,823 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,794 Replies, 4,643,198 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 454,982 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,722 Replies, 1,295,459 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 36,705 Views
Tax ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 8,928 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,651 Replies, 7,370,610 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,723 Replies, 4,365,870 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 7,590 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
876 Replies, 227,522 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,031 Replies, 526,993 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,088 Replies, 2,534,235 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 278,615 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
487 Replies, 276,247 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
739 Replies, 202,652 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,711 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 111,988 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,788 Replies, 1,420,482 Views
Process Engineer Salary
3 Replies, 5,212 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,914 Replies, 1,760,587 Views
Maybe it's rosy after all
1 Replies, 1,622 Views
Best-paying jobs in the US
1 Replies, 2,813 Views
Bad for dragon babies
1 Replies, 2,262 Views
NTU graduates starting pay
1 Replies, 5,497 Views
IT salary benchmark
1 Replies, 2,500 Views
Income tax child relief
1 Replies, 2,056 Views
Best paying jobs: Executive
2 Replies, 3,342 Views
Secret of Singapore's success
1 Replies, 1,855 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2