Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 266 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2651 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello everyone, a long time lurker here. Just want to share to encourage you guys.

I got a job today, but it had been a long journey for me. I was a fresh grad, but jobless for 8 months before i secured my job today. In the 8 months, i applied for over 100 jobs, but only managed to get 7 interviews. My university (not one of the top 3 unis) sucked and did not advise the cohort for the job search, which made it a little harder. I hope i can piece some tips here for you guys, that it took me 8 months (and 7 interviews) to learn from:

1. If asked to do personality test, do not fill it up honestly. Do the test based on what you believe the organisation seeks. Most companies would want someone who is collaborative, and works well in a team.

2. During interviews, be the best version of yourself. I tried being more sanguine a few times, but the interview did not work in my favor. Stay genuine by being yourself.

3. Prepare for scenario based questions, always have a scenario ready. Eg. Give an example of when you lead a team of different stakeholders. You can prep for these questions from glassdoor as well.

4. ask at least 2 questions at the end of the interview (not including "when will i know the results of the interview"). ask more questions from their answer for your prepared questions.

I know what it was like having to look for jobs, and continuously going out for interviews. It was pretty demoralising period for me, and i believe for most of you, especially with the job market getting worse. But press on, you'll never know when you will get the job like me.

Reply With Quote
  #2652 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 05:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello everyone, a long time lurker here. Just want to share to encourage you guys.

I got a job today, but it had been a long journey for me. I was a fresh grad, but jobless for 8 months before i secured my job today. In the 8 months, i applied for over 100 jobs, but only managed to get 7 interviews. My university (not one of the top 3 unis) sucked and did not advise the cohort for the job search, which made it a little harder. I hope i can piece some tips here for you guys, that it took me 8 months (and 7 interviews) to learn from:

1. If asked to do personality test, do not fill it up honestly. Do the test based on what you believe the organisation seeks. Most companies would want someone who is collaborative, and works well in a team.

2. During interviews, be the best version of yourself. I tried being more sanguine a few times, but the interview did not work in my favor. Stay genuine by being yourself.

3. Prepare for scenario based questions, always have a scenario ready. Eg. Give an example of when you lead a team of different stakeholders. You can prep for these questions from glassdoor as well.

4. ask at least 2 questions at the end of the interview (not including "when will i know the results of the interview"). ask more questions from their answer for your prepared questions.

I know what it was like having to look for jobs, and continuously going out for interviews. It was pretty demoralising period for me, and i believe for most of you, especially with the job market getting worse. But press on, you'll never know when you will get the job like me.
which local u haha



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2653 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
which local u haha
one of the u that starts with 's'

Reply With Quote
  #2654 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
one of the u that starts with 's'
HAHA i same u as you. I also have loads of difficulty landing a job....
Reply With Quote
  #2655 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
HAHA i same u as you. I also have loads of difficulty landing a job....
if you are not apply for jobs relevant to your degree, i believe your highest chances are either management associate programs, or entry level general degree jobs (you can google them).

just be prepared to answer questions on why you are switching industry
Reply With Quote
  #2656 (permalink)  
Old 16-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
if you are not apply for jobs relevant to your degree, i believe your highest chances are either management associate programs, or entry level general degree jobs (you can google them).

just be prepared to answer questions on why you are switching industry
This is what I trying to do now, trying out entry level general degree jobs after not being able to secure something relevant to my area of study. But it seems that everywhere is competitive especially during this period. New batch of uni grads coming out soon too, need to compete with them
Reply With Quote

  #2657 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2020, 04:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is what I trying to do now, trying out entry level general degree jobs after not being able to secure something relevant to my area of study. But it seems that everywhere is competitive especially during this period. New batch of uni grads coming out soon too, need to compete with them
You unemployed for how long ?
Reply With Quote
  #2658 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You unemployed for how long ?
About 5 months. Couldn't get a perm job since graduation. Was doing contract job which ended in last year Oct. But have been actively looking for a more secure perm job since last year May after learning that my job cannot become perm.
Reply With Quote
  #2659 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile let's hang in there!

how's everyone doing? hope you all persevere and hang in there...in these uncertain times with the covid19 affecting job market will be a bit difficult for private sector since some firms have already started their hire freeze, but just keep applying and trying guys! i am in the same process so just wanted to boost morale
Reply With Quote
  #2660 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
how's everyone doing? hope you all persevere and hang in there...in these uncertain times with the covid19 affecting job market will be a bit difficult for private sector since some firms have already started their hire freeze, but just keep applying and trying guys! i am in the same process so just wanted to boost morale
Only had 1 interview this year even though applying jobs everyday. Didnt get that job too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 47 28-05-2020 04:55 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,784 Replies, 5,465,618 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 66,270 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,318 Replies, 237,602 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,225 Replies, 1,864,488 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,706 Replies, 1,256,683 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,773 Replies, 2,399,555 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,179 Replies, 883,127 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,583 Replies, 1,556,990 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 1,578 Views
Need career advice : quit 9 month... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 2,875 Views
E-Reading apps for kids
0 Replies, 21 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,023 Replies, 924,578 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,482 Replies, 750,679 Views
For local U grads, how well are...
9 Replies, 862 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
92 Replies, 12,642 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 114,439 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,840 Replies, 1,061,521 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
932 Replies, 742,263 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
819 Replies, 535,758 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
257 Replies, 49,271 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
3 Replies, 2,090 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
862 Replies, 439,703 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 143,341 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
356 Replies, 275,934 Views
Applied Materials
0 Replies, 82 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 241,635 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 5,290 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 110,669 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
3 Replies, 1,116 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,711 Replies, 781,493 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2